What kind of protagonist would you prefer and why?

Glorious_Milfhunter

Huh? Who are you?
This is merely a passing thought of a wandering vagabond, who roams the endless depths of cosmos to hunt Milf— Monsters.

*Cough* *Cough*

Back to topic, we all know there are infinite archetypes of main characters out there. Every one of them has their own charm and grace.

I for one prefer a non-dense guy/gal, who gets out of seemingly impossible situations using their head.

or someone who knows their shortcomings and works hard throughout the story to overcome them.

There you have mine, now time to share yours :blob_uwu:

Last edited:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
This is merely a passing thought by wandering vagabond, who roams the endless depths of cosmos to hunt Milf— Monsters.

*Cough* *Cough*

Back to topic, we all know there are infinite archetypes of main characters out there. Every one of them has their own charm and grace.

I for one prefer a non-dense guy/gal, who gets out of seemingly impossible situations using their head.

or someone who knows their shortcomings and works hard throughout the story to overcome them.

One that fits into the plot.

So many novels think of the protagonist first, then the plot of the novel. This is why you get things like protagonist changing personalities after the 1st arc or suddenly protagonist having personality changes forced upon them by the plot.

I'm not picky about protagonists (with some exception), I just want them to act like themselves, not like they are playing themselves from a script.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
This is merely a passing thought of a wandering vagabond, who roams the endless depths of cosmos to hunt Milf— Monsters.

*Cough* *Cough*

Mature MCs, as in non-dense, able to put their foot down, have the ability to support their world. When faced with adversaries, they will buck up and keep on going.

Also the growth type MC, they can whine, bitch, cry about the life and unfairness, but they must be able to grow out of their form and fit into the new shoes flung to them by the author and plot. Because watching them grow up is one of the fun things in reading.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

So many novels think of the protagonist first, then the plot of the novel. This is why you get things like protagonist changing personalities after the 1st arc or suddenly protagonist having personality changes forced upon them by the plot.

I'm not picky about protagonists (with some exception), I just want them to act like themselves, not like they are playing themselves from a script.
Yeah, but do they revert back to their old self once the arc is over? Or at least grow up mentally?

Glorious_Milfhunter

Huh? Who are you?
Mature MCs, as in non-dense, able to put their foot down, have the ability to support their world. When faced with adversaries, they will buck up and keep on going.

Also the growth type MC, they can whine, bitch, cry about the life and unfairness, but they must be able to grow out of their form and fit into the new shoes flung to them by the author and plot. Because watching them grow up is one of the fun things in reading.
Being forced out of their shell and adapt is the most interesting part of development :blob_happy:

the ones i could care about, i guess.

i guess, they either have something i could relate to, or they're different than many others, in a way, that made me want to root for them.

as for the specifics, i like funny and shameless main characters. one of the reason i enjoy fiction is 'cuz i want some good laugh. i also like if they can make all kinds of situations interesting just by there.

plus points if they're a cute loli, above eighteen years of age, and pretty gay.

even better if they're pretty op, so they can just do whatever they want, screw all rules and authorities, just have fun.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠

*Cough* *Cough*

Hmnn. I like this who had good sense on their head. Not to OP. A MC who I can feel the struggle enough to make me care about his life. An MC a good sense of humor but not something to overwhelming.

Oh, perphaps someone like the MC in Novel's extra and the likes.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Thats just cuz the author is an indecisive cunt tho. The character doesnt need to fit the plot. You dont have to have the hero type to go along with plans of him later fighting evil. Thats just narrowing your options.

As for the question i like all kinds of MC except the pussies eho get pushed around by people. But i think i like my main story's MC's type the best which reslly i guess is why i started writing. Cuz i wanted certain shit from an MC and i couldnt find it.

I mean he is a crazy motherfucker but he says what he wants no matter who he talks to, can be stubborn to the point of insanity sometimes and solves problems using drugs. So i just like seeing what kinda insane shit he does next, and thats the whole point of the story. The fun is all the weird, chaotic adventures he gonna have due to his sparkling personality

Its a bit annoying tho cuz im always asking myself, "what he do in this situation?" And that sometimes just ruins what i previously planned and i hate the bastard for that.

Other than the crazies, i prefer the trolls. People like Kazuma are amazing. The two types can overlap a lot tho so maybe i shoulda gone with something different for this one.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
for a moment i thought you're talking about my character lol
I have an unsaid part: the MC should do everything right but fate will still dictate his perpetual failure anyway.

A story of a hard man making an impossible choice, with everything going wrong.

I have an unsaid part: the MC should do everything right but fate will still dictate his perpetual failure anyway.

A story of a hard man making an impossible choice, with everything going wrong.

oh i guess i'm wrong then, since in my story, the mc can bend the fate to their will, if they became strong enough.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
For me, there are really 2 kinds of stories, serious and comedic. There are so many different possible serious protagonists that I like; it's impossible to just point out one archetype.

Meanwhile, for comedy I know what I enjoy a little more specifically.
*** A character that is obsessed with something stupid but can't help pressing forward through the most ludicrous of situations with passion.
*** A character that causes constant misunderstandings or misunderstands constantly.
*** A character that draws attention to themselves that is embarrassing and entertaining.
*** The character can either be a funny boke who makes numerous mistakes or a competent character that somehow gets mixed up in stupid situations.
*** Cute characters are funnier, obsessed characters are funnier, serious characters require a supporting character to be really funny.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i have a character i prefer, but it's never really shown in books, or even media in general.

i'm talking about a generic, strong willed hero, alright? a generic hero fed with all the messages that he's doing good and that whatever cause he's fighting for is against evil. but it's only in mindset. the "hero" believes everything he does is "brave", "courageous" and for "justice", no matter the consequences and the effect, because it's for "the greater good". say for example there's a war. the enemy is shipping civilians to be sent to a refuge station. the protagonist, unwilling to let the enemy escape, bombs the ships without a care for the civvies. the protagonist won't be doing some "it was a hard choice" monologue but fully believes that it was the righteous and only decision to make during that scenario. i want to see a stubborn protagonist that believes everything he or she does is right, and even when faced with direct opposition, he or she will convince themselves that they're the ones in the right and that everyone is wrong, thus framing them all as villains.

you might say, "Hey, that's a villainess story, innit?" and yeah, you might be right but i want that villainess to believe that she is the paragon of virtue, and that every deed she does is correct and morally superior. characters that rather lie to themselves with full ego than to face the music of what they've done. make them the "hero" and everyone else the "villain". that's my favorite protagonist; a complete break down on the troupe and twisting it to its absolute worse. i'm not talking about badly written protagonist with power fantasies, i mean stories with actual self awareness to its protagonist and making them walk down that road

you could say it doesn't count because the protagonist doesn't really exist, at least as a troupe or ones i know. but heck, i'm putting the distress beacon out for anyone that knows such a type of protagonist, because compared to anything else, this would really be compelling if done right.

Glorious_Milfhunter

Huh? Who are you?
i have a character i prefer, but it's never really shown in books, or even media in general.

i'm talking about a generic, strong willed hero, alright? a generic hero fed with all the messages that he's doing good and that whatever cause he's fighting for is against evil. but it's only in mindset. the "hero" believes everything he does is "brave", "courageous" and for "justice", no matter the consequences and the effect, because it's for "the greater good". say for example there's a war. the enemy is shipping civilians to be sent to a refuge station. the protagonist, unwilling to let the enemy escape, bombs the ships without a care for the civvies. the protagonist won't be doing some "it was a hard choice" monologue but fully believes that it was the righteous and only decision to make during that scenario. i want to see a stubborn protagonist that believes everything he or she does is right, and even when faced with direct opposition, he or she will convince themselves that they're the ones in the right and that everyone is wrong, thus framing them all as villains.

you might say, "Hey, that's a villainess story, innit?" and yeah, you might be right but i want that villainess to believe that she is the paragon of virtue, and that every deed she does is correct and morally superior. characters that rather lie to themselves with full ego than to face the music of what they've done. make them the "hero" and everyone else the "villain". that's my favorite protagonist; a complete break down on the troupe and twisting it to its absolute worse. i'm not talking about badly written protagonist with power fantasies, i mean stories with actual self awareness to its protagonist and making them walk down that road

you could say it doesn't count because the protagonist doesn't really exist, at least as a troupe or ones i know. but heck, i'm putting the distress beacon out for anyone that knows such a type of protagonist, because compared to anything else, this would really be compelling if done right.
That could be something worth writing :blob_hmm:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I prefer someone I can relate to. I think a lot of teenage girls can relate to a girl who is timid and unsure of how to deal with men. I never was timid, and now I have too much love life experience to pretend ignorance on the matter.

Also, I have a major problem with stories in which a woman tells a man no, he keeps going after her, and he eventually wins her over. It sends the wrong messages about consent. If a woman says no, leave her alone and go after someone else! This is why my protagonist says yes from the start. She knows what she wants, and she doesn't need to be manipulated into sleeping with someone.

Polarize4777

I like protagonist that are strong will, passionate, use their head, and constantly strive to be a better version of themselves everyday. I also like protagonist that slowly grow up to face whatever the world is throwing at them, and maybe a humorous protagonist since I like to have a good laugh here and there when possible.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
There are a lot of kinds of character I like, but I'd say my favorite would be characters with something they hold dear to their heart, or have a strong passion for something. Like Ernesti Echevalier from Knight's & Magic. The calm, collected, and observant characters are also a great choice.