What kind of story do you want to read?

BlackKnightX

Have you ever read something so good but then dropped it half-way just because something you don’t like happened in the story or the main character just did something stupid?

After that, you were left frustrated and tried to move on to another story with the similar elements to the previous one, but you couldn’t seem to find it. So you were left wondering, ”Damn, the story, the premises, and the world building of the XXX story are so good, but why does the mc have to do that shit. *sigh* Fine then, I’ll create something myself!”

And so began your journey of creating a story similar the one you like, but this time, with the character that’s not so stupid…

Now, let’s be honest here, folks. We all have our ideal story that we wanna read, especially if you’re a passionate writer who doesn’t care about fame or money. You write to excite and entertain yourself, aka Wish-fulfillment. Or as Hank Moody stated, “I write what get me hard.”

I know that everyone has one such ideal story, so please share it with me—What kind of story do you want to read?

Last edited:

RayneStorm

I write the stories I want to read. One of my series was written purely out of spite. I saw the Chinese Drama Bodyguards/Hot Girls and, while it is a guilty pleasure, I said 'I can do it better' then decided to put my money where my mouth is... and then the story, while still about bodyguards, became something different and I'm doing the edits to the final book. I don't recommend that drama. I know a lot of people like Ma Ke and Dilraba but not even Ocean Jiang was able to make that show good. Not to mention Shao Bing still has yet to learn how to move his facial muscles *rolls eyes*, though he did figure out how to do a half smile in Arsenal Military Academy so I guess that's somewhat of an improvement.

Also pirates. Wrote 2 pirate trilogies and one standalone and now I'm working on an outline for a third. I love pirates and there is such a lack of good pirate stories

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
There are many things I want to read, such as a Wuxia with death note levels of plotting, or a satire of Xianxia that isn't stretched out due to trying to beef up that word/chapter count. Though for scribblehub I want to see a trashy gender bender smut story written in the style of invisible dragon.

BlackKnightX

Though for scribblehub I want to see a trashy gender bender smut story written in the style of invisible dragon.
I can write that for you if you want~

I’m sure the mc and the girls will kiss and then do this and that and it will be awesome! 😂

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I can write that for you if you want~

I’m sure the mc and the girls will kiss and then do this and that and it will be awesome! 😂
Yes please, just prepare for the story to forever stain your name as an author. Or you can make an alt to do it. Just slap LitRPG, GB, Smut and a waifulabs cover, if your writing is terrible enough you can go down in history.

EternalSunset0

Have you ever read something so good but then dropped it half-way just because something you don’t like happened in the story or the main character just did something stupid?

After that, you were left frustrated and tried to move on to another story with the similar elements to the previous one, but you couldn’t seem to find it. So you were left wondering, ”Damn, the story, the premises, and the world building of the XXX story are so good, but why does the mc have to do that shit. *sigh* Fine then, I’ll create something myself!”

And so began your journey of creating a story similar the one you like, but this time, with the character that’s not so stupid…

Now, let’s be honest here, folks. We all have our ideal story that we wanna read, especially if you’re a passionate writer who doesn’t care about fame or money. You write to excite and entertain yourself, aka Wish-fulfillment. Or as Hank Moody stated, “I write what get me hard.”

I know that everyone has one such ideal story, so please share it with me—What kind of story do you want to read?
What I write.

I read what I write/write what I read. Basically if it's something I would love to watch weekly or buy merch of if adapted into an anime, I'd like it. And that's how I got started into writing anyway (that and trying to make the quarantine productive). I'd want to own something that I can place next to the titles mentioned in the sig (which are some of my favorite titles) and feel like I created "another one of them."

I dunno if I can completely elaborate it to words without sounding super convoluted with the descriptions, but as Mysticant said in the other thread, school life battle romance with some supernatural things and chuuni action with a healthy dose of softcore fanservice seems to be my genre. I'm more of a "safer" ecchi consumer, so while I enjoy the beach episodes, the accidental boob grabs, sexy jokes, and such, I don't really crave the more outlandish stuff that gets associated with webnovels like the raunchier stuff that don't often see actual publishing (you know what I mean) or super edgy gore.

BlackKnightX

Yes please, just prepare for the story to forever stain your name as an author. Or you can make an alt to do it. Just slap LitRPG, GB, Smut and a waifulabs cover, if your writing is terrible enough you can go down in history.
If I manage to pull it off, I might get overwhelmed with the praises though~

But then again, trying to imitate such a godly literature is uncalled for!

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This is me reading countless manuscripts that include love triangles where the protagonist has to choose only one and crying inside that they could solve the situation by being polyamorous.

BlackKnightX

This is me reading countless manuscripts that include love triangles where the protagonist has to choose only one and crying inside that they could solve the situation by being polyamorous.
Harem genre is the solution!

Though, the usual harem protagonist often pisses me off.

skillet

a frying pan
Heyyy this is basically what really inspires me too!!! lol my current story was inspired by my frustration in the reincarnated villainess trope

I'm really into rom coms and shoujos ngl, but there are so much frustrating ones that I canNOT deal with because of a couple VERY overused tropes. One example I think a lot of people would agree with is when the author drags the plot on and on and on and ON through useless miscommunications that need absolutely NOTHING ELSE but just a proper conversation. It's so overused and it kills me every time.

Other horrifying and horrible tropes include the two ends of the smart heroine: the "I'm supposedly smart, but the ML is going to have to save me every single time something happens, and all I'm going to actually do is cry" and the "Look at me I'm so independent and every single man in the 2 mile radius are all sexist so that I can show off my Power and Intellect and neither of us are ever going to learn to respect each other". Oh, and the dense, clumsy, helpless heroine that can't do anything but exist and suddenly gain wisdom at random moments for the sole purpose of having the OP ML fall for her. :D

AHaha sorry for the random rant. Go spite! Let them lead us to better (self-written) stories. :blob_popcorn:

EDIT: Idk if this answered your question lol. I guess stories with characters that can actually think for themselves would be what I want to read, therefore what I strive to write?

BlackKnightX

Heyyy this is basically what really inspires me too!!! lol my current story was inspired by my frustration in the reincarnated villainess trope

I'm really into rom coms and shoujos ngl, but there are so much frustrating ones that I canNOT deal with because of a couple VERY overused tropes. One example I think a lot of people would agree with is when the author drags the plot on and on and on and ON through useless miscommunications that need absolutely NOTHING ELSE but just a proper conversation. It's so overused and it kills me every time.

Other horrifying and horrible tropes include the two ends of the smart heroine: the "I'm supposedly smart, but the ML is going to have to save me every single time something happens, and all I'm going to actually do is cry" and the "Look at me I'm so independent and every single man in the 2 mile radius are all sexist so that I can show off my Power and Intellect and neither of us are ever going to learn to respect each other". Oh, and the dense, clumsy, helpless heroine that can't do anything but exist and suddenly gain wisdom at random moments for the sole purpose of having the OP ML fall for her. :D

AHaha sorry for the random rant. Go spite! Let them lead us to better (self-written) stories. :blob_popcorn:

EDIT: Idk if this answered your question lol. I guess stories with characters that can actually think for themselves would be what I want to read, therefore what I strive to write?
All hail the wish-fulfillment!

Well, I guess this is the origin of what we call fanfiction, huh? 😂

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Uhhhh a dumb shounen-type MC good at martial arts banging hot guys

Look, I'm a simple idiot with simple tastes. A lot of times BL cultivation titles feature MCs who're really smart, sophisticated, a loner/introvert and it's not really noisy shounen-style a la Black Clover's MC, which is more to my taste in general. Someone cute but maybe a bit dumb; quite strong and has conviction, not afraid to wear his feelings on his sleeve - with someone he can fight with, brawl with, have adventures with and also love - that's my sorta thing.

So I've started making my own stuff and adding my own spin to it. Can't say my style's well-liked though; my stories are either very brawly and silly for BL titles, which are more mature and sophisticated by nature from what I know.

I feel everyone's stories are great in their own way! But when we've got very specific tastes it can get hard to find material, so I get why people have taken to writing them themselves.

RayneStorm

Do you know One Piece? That classic is gold! Or maybe not, if you want a realistic pirate story with no fantastical elements.
I love One Piece but I only checked it out after I'd already written my first series and standalone. I wouldn't even classify that as a pirate story. It's nice but not a swashbuckler. It's also kinda frustrating when I tell someone I'm writing a pirate story and they're like 'so basically you're rewriting One Piece?' *facepalm* My pirates and One Piece are two completely separate things. The entire crew of the Sea Fog would murder Luffy in the first chapter for being annoying. I love him but he's annoying

EternalSunset0

I love One Piece but I only checked it out after I'd already written my first series and standalone. I wouldn't even classify that as a pirate story. It's nice but not a swashbuckler. It's also kinda frustrating when I tell someone I'm writing a pirate story and they're like 'so basically you're rewriting One Piece?' *facepalm* My pirates and One Piece are two completely separate things. The entire crew of the Sea Fog would murder Luffy in the first chapter for being annoying. I love him but he's annoying
Maybe the currently airing Fena Pirate Princess is more up your alley

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I am writing in xianxia style, a genocidal MC who feels that those of the upper echelon is the entire problem of the world he lives in while slowly turning into the world problem himself. Think Main character who hides his strength (book name) but with an immature grown up who happens to roll Hulk's powerset plus a literal devil in his head egging him on to commit more atrocities and how he has to live in a crapsack world and how his destructive actions are making it more crapsack. His plot armour is how he is stronger than his peers and all those who are strong enough to kill him are either too busy or too complacent... like how most xianxia goes.

Planning the title to be "a crap stirrer in the crapsack world".

Kitsura

I wrote my isekai because I read so many Japanese web novels that blue ball the ending that I wanted to write a webnovel with a proper ending

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…

A intergalactic Sci-Fi with wizards and cultivation, with no game elements. Though I am already working on it. I am currently conflicted on weather or not planes should just be star systems, or something bigger. Unfortunately I have limited my world building reach with my main story, so I had to make a new one to flush out my ideas... Oh, I and thought of it way back when I was reading Warlock of the Magus World and ~Save that Witch[correct title?], yet was to lazy to start it.

BlackKnightX

I am writing in xianxia style, a genocidal MC who feels that those of the upper echelon is the entire problem of the world he lives in while slowly turning into the world problem himself. Think Main character who hides his strength (book name) but with an immature grown up who happens to roll Hulk's powerset plus a literal devil in his head egging him on to commit more atrocities and how he has to live in a crapsack world and how his destructive actions are making it more crapsack. His plot armour is how he is stronger than his peers and all those who are strong enough to kill him are either too busy or too complacent... like how most xianxia goes.

Planning the title to be "a crap stirrer in the crapsack world".
Damn, that's dark. Kind of remind me of Summoned Slaughterer.