What makes a novel a novel?

BlackKnightX

What, in your own opinion, makes a novel a novel? Also, what is a story? Like, if I info-dump something, is that considered telling a story? When we talk about “Keep the story moving” or “Get to the fucking point already!” what do we really mean by that? Are we talking about scenes? Actions? That movie or scene or event playing in your mind’s eye? I heard from somewhere that screenplay is the purest form of story, so I’m kind of curious.

D

Deleted member 57675

What, in your own opinion, makes a novel a novel?
A story with a lotta words and chapters.
Also, what is a story? Like, if I info-dump something, is that considered telling a story?
A story can info dump, but striaght out bullet and listing facts/lore of their world? Compendium?
When we talk about “Keep the story moving” or “Get to the fucking point already!” what do we really mean by that? Are we talking about scenes? Actions? That movie or scene or event playing in your mind’s eye? I heard from somewhere that screenplay is the purest form of story, so I’m kind of curious.
Sounds like it depends on type of feedback you're getting. It could be just stop describing and start telling. Or is the story repetitive?

BlackKnightX

Sounds like it depends on type of feedback you're getting. It could be just stop describing and start telling. Or is the story repetitive?
No, it usually me saying it to the story I’m reading~ lol

Pacing is a bitch, you can say that. It’s not one specific thing. Like you said, sometimes writing descriptions to “paint the picture” is what considered getting to the point, but if done too much it can feel dragged as well. Same goes for info-dumping for obvious reason.

Though, personally, one thing I find to always move the story along is “action verbs.” (He sat; she stared; he moved closer; she moved away; he frowned; she giggled; he smiled; she moved closer; he moved in; they hugged they kissed; they fucked, etc.)

In this case, I’d say action verbs are the core of every story.

BlackKnightX

Probably how novel it is.

It's kinda like the story of average guy vs the story of an average guy who married his own shoe
So, by your definition, if the average guy fucks his own shoe, it’s not considered a novel anymore, then? Cuz I think I’ve heard about some guy fucking his own shoe before~ lol

So, by your definition, if the average guy fucks his own shoe, it’s not considered a novel anymore, then? Cuz I think I’ve heard about some guy fucking his own shoe before~ lol

basically you went from 'how novel' to 'look it's that Florida man again'.

but yea, the weird thing about humans is that we kept eating the same premise no matter how repetitive.