What makes you drop a story?

What makes you drop a story?

• Badly written MCs (Unlikable, too stupid, too OP, cardboard personality....)

• Lackluster plots (predictable plots or stories that go practically nowhere)

• Too many spelling or grammatical errors (readability issues)

• Lack of romance/Love interests ( or if they do exist, they are too flat/one-dimensional)

• Little to no sexual content

• Too much sexual content ( on the expense of plot and character-development)

• Bad pacing (story is either too fast or too slow)

• Writing style or narration that puts you off (whether a certain POV or a certain type of prose)

• Irregular updating schedules

Results are only viewable after voting.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
A lot of the stories I've dropped, were because the story changed and wasn't what I'd originally been reading it for anymore. There have been several isekai's that have fallen into the same trap of starting with an OP MC, then suddenly introducing foes strong enough that the MC isn't OP anymore in comparison. These stories start focused on how the MC blows people's minds with their OPness. Then the story turns into a generic Hero's Journey. I don't need another Hero's Journey. If I want that, I'll just go play a JRPG. Most of those do it better.
I agree! Nothing feels more annoying than stories that lost their original premise and became something else that I didn't want to read about! >.<

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Forced plot lines. I hate nothing more than forced plot that doesn't stand on its own, but solely on the will of its author. I can live with many things, but not with illogical action characters that destroy my suspension of disbelief. :blob_reach:

AliceShiki

Forced plot lines. I hate nothing more than forced plot that doesn't stand on its own, but solely on the will of its author. I can live with many things, but not with illogical action characters that destroy my suspension of disbelief. :blob_reach:
Oof... I can't remember any story I read that did that, but it must feel awful... orz

Assurbanipal_II

Oof... I can't remember any story I read that did that, but it must feel awful... orz

There are many. The classical example is wish fulfillment. The MC gets too many perks for no obvious reason and the entire world turns around them despite them being douche bags. That is not a story, that is just stupid. So 99% of all isekais seem to fall into this category. :blob_reach:

AliceShiki

There are many. The classical example is wish fulfillment. The MC gets too many perks for no obvious reason and the entire world turns around them despite them being douche bags. That is not a story, that is just stupid. So 99% of all isekais seem to fall into this category. :blob_reach:
That's kinda rude to the isekais... I mean, I know there are plenty of terrible isekais out there, but it's definitely not them all! >.<

Assurbanipal_II

That's kinda rude to the isekais... I mean, I know there are plenty of terrible isekais out there, but it's definitely not them all! >.<

99% are a hyperbole, aka exaggeration. :blob_reach:

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜːrbəli/; Ancient Greek: ὑπερβολή, huperbolḗ, from ὑπέρ (hupér, 'above') and βάλλω (bállō, 'I throw')) is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. In rhetoric, it is also sometimes known as auxesis (literally 'growth'). In poetry and oratory, it emphasizes, evokes strong feelings, and creates strong impressions. As a figure of speech, it is usually not meant to be taken literally.[1][2]

AliceShiki

99% are a hyperbole, aka exaggeration. :blob_reach:

Hyperbole (/haɪˈpɜːrbəli/; Ancient Greek: ὑπερβολή, huperbolḗ, from ὑπέρ (hupér, 'above') and βάλλω (bállō, 'I throw')) is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. In rhetoric, it is also sometimes known as auxesis (literally 'growth'). In poetry and oratory, it emphasizes, evokes strong feelings, and creates strong impressions. As a figure of speech, it is usually not meant to be taken literally.[1][2]
Ah, my bad~

I'm just so used to people complaining about how "all harems are trash" and the like, that I started taking those things a bit too literally... >.>

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I just cant stand reading about MC's that constantly spout 'Never kill'. Nevermind the fact that the enemies have made multiple attempts on your friends and loved ones life!! Or even yours. It is extremely unrealistic because the average person WILL toss "laws and morality" out the damned window when someone tries to tear their wife, children, mother, father, etc.'s throat out right. Nevermind it happening MULTIPLE TIMES. I just can't read that crap. As much as I find a beta-mc annoying at times, which is in its own way, also unrealistic, I find these "holier than thou" types even more infuriating.

I love it when they also say, "If we kill, we will become no better than them."
.....I just can't summon the energy to explain why that statement is such an utter load of bullshit so I won't bother trying.
That's why when people start complaining about the concept of "capitol punishment", and how wrong it is, I always tell them to refer their opinions to those who families were ripped apart by your friendly neighborhood serial killers, gangsters, and so on and so forth. I'm likely extremely cynical, but I find self-righteous people, overly idealistic people, and the like nauseatingly pretentious and I sometimes feel physically nauseous when I read them because I've experienced these people, and I've also had the pleasure of seeing their bullshit collapse around them when the real world reared it's ugly head.

They never take such exposure very well and by the gods, they think of you as a hellion incarnate if you say "I told you so". Sadly, shounen is drowning in these types and I just avoid the genre now. I rarely read manga/watch anime anymore because I;m concerned about being exposed to anymore of these idiots. Oh man....Naruto broke me of anime. That whole Sasuke Uchiha thing and his clan. That dude should be rotting flesh in an unmarked grave like any other criminal of his type, but lo and behold, he was best buds with MC so lovey-dovey peace-weacy mercy-wercy happened and all is forgiven.

D

Deleted member 22388

I would regret reading a 1000 chapter story that has no romance at all.
I mean bro, why are you like this.

Although I haven't encounter one but if I did, sigh* lets put that aside, I quit reading this.

kaese

I just cant stand reading about MC's that constantly spout 'Never kill'. Nevermind the fact that the enemies have made multiple attempts on your friends and loved ones life!! Or even yours. It is extremely unrealistic because the average person WILL toss "laws and morality" out the damned window when someone tries to tear their wife, children, mother, father, etc.'s throat out right. Nevermind it happening MULTIPLE TIMES. I just can't read that crap. As much as I find a beta-mc annoying at times, which is in its own way, also unrealistic, I find these "holier than thou" types even more infuriating.

I love it when they also say, "If we kill, we will become no better than them."
.....I just can't summon the energy to explain why that statement is such an utter load of bullshit so I won't bother trying.
That's why when people start complaining about the concept of "capitol punishment", and how wrong it is, I always tell them to refer their opinions to those who families were ripped apart by your friendly neighborhood serial killers, gangsters, and so on and so forth. I'm likely extremely cynical, but I find self-righteous people, overly idealistic people, and the like nauseatingly pretentious and I sometimes feel physically nauseous when I read them because I've experienced these people, and I've also had the pleasure of seeing their bullshit collapse around them when the real world reared it's ugly head.

They never take such exposure very well and by the gods, they think of you as a hellion incarnate if you say "I told you so". Sadly, shounen is drowning in these types and I just avoid the genre now. I rarely read manga/watch anime anymore because I;m concerned about being exposed to anymore of these idiots. Oh man....Naruto broke me of anime. That whole Sasuke Uchiha thing and his clan. That dude should be rotting flesh in an unmarked grave like any other criminal of his type, but lo and behold, he was best buds with MC so lovey-dovey peace-weacy mercy-wercy happened and all is forgiven.
Real shit, Sasuke is a total cunt.

I totally agree, but I also find the opposite true. Too many xianxia/wuxia stories have an edgy mc that kills 50k people because their boss was a dick to him, and then the author will explain to the reader as if the character was justified in his genocide.

hory-portier

In most cases when I dropped something it happens when one day I stop myself at a random chapter (sometimes it can be even at 3 digits one) and then thing for a moment - Why do I even read it anyway? It happens when each new development feels the same as the previous one. The story progress is enclosed by the frames of one arc while it's effects outside of it are almost non existent making the whole story practically stay in place no mater how many things are happening.

There must be some tension and anticipation present. If I know that everything will be fine thanks to the plot armor then it will bore me at some point. The the kingdom is on the verge of a war, will the war be stopped? it doesn't really have to be stopped so the reader don't know what will happen. The war happened, some friends of MC are part of the opposing fraction but the enmity of the countries couldn't be stopped. Is it in their fate that they will have to oppose each other? Can the strings of fate be broken? If so, then I would really be expecting it to happen in some epic way. And that would be some sort of a culmination of many arcs before it where no arc could be considered as unimportant. Those unimportant arc would be what makes me drop the story. I need to see some purpose even if I'm still unable to figure out what it is. Just give a reader some hints that there is some greater plan going behind the scenes.

On the other side if things progress too fast then there is no real immersion and also tension is low. It's like reading history book that just describes events that happened maybe with some additional scenes for fanservice...

So, if I could answer to the question "Is there some purpose in the events happening in the story?" with "yes" then I will probably continue reading. If it's "no" then I will stop wasting my time and drop it.

There are also cases when I read something like in trance and the after a lot of chapters i stop and thing "WFT am I even reading?! This is disgusting!" but that's totally different case.
Why do I always have to produce a wall of text...

AliceShiki

So, if I could answer to the question "Is there some purpose in the events happening in the story?" with "yes" then I will probably continue reading. If it's "no" then I will stop wasting my time and drop it.
This feels like a good way to go about it~

Even with Slice of Life novels, you still want some sort of purpose in the story, even if said purpose is just some laughs~

When there is no purpose to keep reading, then it is a good point to drop it~

hory-portier

With this pool result I will have to rethink MC of my novel. While I have his personality in mind I'm not sure if I expressed it right... I will have to check it and if needed change/add some parts.
In my intention the thoughts of my MC should be clear but the reasons behind them should be hidden with at most some hints that there is some reason.

AliceShiki

With this pool result I will have to rethink MC of my novel. While I have his personality in mind I'm not sure if I expressed it right... I will have to check it and if needed change/add some parts.
In my intention the thoughts of my MC should be clear but the reasons behind them should be hidden with at most some hints that there is some reason.
I don't think that's a bad plan! I'm happy as long as your character isn't a plain boring one-dimensional character! \(^^)/

AliceShiki

What do you mean? Flatland is not boring! :blob_evil:

Well, I have to agree that they can be pretty cool indeed... They just need to have more to themselves than just being flatlands~

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer

Well, I have to agree that they can be pretty cool indeed... They just need to have more to themselves than just being flatlands~
I love how we both seem to talk about the same thing but actually are not! :blob_catflip:

I'm talking about Flatland the novel featuring literal 1-dimensional lines!

AliceShiki

I love how we both seem to talk about the same thing but actually are not! :blob_catflip:

I'm talking about Flatland the novel featuring literal 1-dimensional lines!
*rolls laughing* I didn't know this novel existed! XD