What makes you stop procrastinating?

Myewphi

Like, for those people who are super productive, how do you stay motivated?

And for those people who procrastinate writing for hours/days (like me), what pushes you to finally do some writing?

I'll give my response first! Honestly, its kind of a variety of random things, but generally its just finally forcing myself to write a few words no matter how much I feel like I need to keep thinking or am not ready to start the chapter yet. Once I get a few words down, all I need to do is force myself to keep at it. To be honest, I usually tend to only be able to write about 500-1000 words in a sitting before I get distracted again tho and fall back into procrastination.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
I'm the person who procrastinates writing, and what pushes me to finally do writing is the deadline.

Myewphi

I'm the person who procrastinates writing, and what pushes me to finally do writing is the deadline.
How do you set deadlines for yourself? I've tried by giving myself upload schedules for stories but they often don't work out for me

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
I was about to say upload schedules but well...

For some things like SSSC, someone else gives you the deadline at least

Myewphi

I was about to say upload schedules but well...

For some things like SSSC, someone else gives you the deadline at least
ohhhhh contest deadlines would def be the kind of thing that might work on me. Having deadlines set by others are for some reason easier to stick to than deadlines I set for myself,,,

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Having deadlines set by others are for some reason easier to stick to than deadlines I set for myself,,,
I agree on this. If you made a patreon or something and got paid, I would imagine there is a lot more incentive to stick with your self-imposed upload schedule, since the cost of procrastinating means you may LOSE MONEY, and unless you are an alien from outer space or filthy rich, money is always a great motivator.

Myewphi

I agree on this. If you made a patreon or something and got paid, I would imagine there is a lot more incentive to stick with your self-imposed upload schedule, since the cost of procrastinating means you may LOSE MONEY, and unless you are an alien from outer space or filthy rich, money is always a great motivator.
Lmao that is certainly a good long term goal for if/when I get a following large enough where I could get patreons

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I usually procrastinate for hours too... Only thing that makes me work is pure willpower, honestly.

Like, it's my dream to make a living out of writing... This will never become a reality if I don't get my butt on the chair and start writing though, so I sit down and write.

Still, I procrastinate lots and lots and lots, and I keep finding more reasons to procrastinate... But as long as I keep trying to do it, sooner or later I overcome the procrastination... Preferably sooner than later though... >.>

Myewphi

I usually procrastinate for hours too... Only thing that makes me work is pure willpower, honestly.

Like, it's my dream to make a living out of writing... This will never become a reality if I don't get my butt on the chair and start writing though, so I sit down and write.

Still, I procrastinate lots and lots and lots, and I keep finding more reasons to procrastinate... But as long as I keep trying to do it, sooner or later I overcome the procrastination... Preferably sooner than later though... >.>
guess we both need to work harder ;~;
Ive heard a really good way is to try n have a specific time that you write every single day cause doing it at the same time will help form the habit

if you have no deadline, you can't procrastinate.

cuz that's the way I like to live my life, and I know that everything's gonna be fine.

on serious note, i don't really force myself to do stuff. only if i find something worth doing, i'll stick to it, and i somehow finished it in one go.

at other times, i just wanna have fun, chill, and enjoy life.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I scare myself into doing things. I imagine the worst possible outcome everytime I feel like not doing something. Sure, it'll make me thick-skinned after some time but it won't be long before the kick stops being a kick and becomes a terrifying mental pain in the ass.

Thus, I put a pillow over the child in the basement to shut its cries.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I procrastinate on things because i rarely find enjoyment like i used to. For instance, i really like writing in the past since there were people who enjoy me making stories and i find that as a motivation towards writing.

When my motivation was at its peak, my classmate recommended me Wattpad to take my writing to the internet. At first i wrote different kinds of stories there and find to waiting for viewers to review my works. But ad time passes by, i felt my motivations crushed and slowly begun to lose the meaning to what i wrote.

I never had any talents in writing since i only use it as a means to get attention(i was a loner that really wanted to make myself at least noticed). So i began to make my own website and took towards into royalroad as a last ditch effort to my motivation in the writing genre. Yet, i felt slumped and by the time my works get noticed, i finally lost the motivation to write.

I sometimes or rarely write but its mostly because of boredom now.

Kotohood

Noob Author
You got to force yourself to do things.

I know some people will be telling you that unless you write in the mood the work will never be good. But if you want to be decently serious about things you will have to write things even when you aren't in the mood.

For me the best way is to have calming relaxing music (like ocean waves) and someone to monitor you in case you start to lose focus. though I don't think many people will have that second option.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
My upload schedule and my stockpile are what's motivating me most not to procrastinate. I still do to some degree but it's not more than a day or two since the schedule just wouldn't accommodate that (I upload some stories daily, others twice or thrice a week and some weekly so it depends on the story, really) and I hate seeing my stockpile dwindle.
If you really can't get around procrastination ... you just have to get the work done faster when you finally do it 😜

Llamadragon

Rest. Well rested I can write for hours. But I'm rarely well rested, and so I procrastinate.

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
hmm. it rarely occurs and works even less so.

but I suppose whenever something makes the world collapse from under my feet. nothing quite like finding a new place to live when your mother gives you a week before she kicks you out of the house. same for getting and keeping a job >.>

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
I have to stopped procrastinate because, well it needs to be done or I will be whack by my readers. :blob_melt:

Thankfully, I have two full day where I can procrastinate all I wanted!

IvyVeritas

I have to give myself artificial deadlines, such as "This book must be published to Amazon by the end of the month" or "I must give my Patreon account two releases this month."

When I first started writing, I didn't need that, but lately I've been getting lazy, so...artificial deadlines to the rescue.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Like, for those people who are super productive, how do you stay motivated?

And for those people who procrastinate writing for hours/days (like me), what pushes you to finally do some writing?

I'll give my response first! Honestly, its kind of a variety of random things, but generally its just finally forcing myself to write a few words no matter how much I feel like I need to keep thinking or am not ready to start the chapter yet. Once I get a few words down, all I need to do is force myself to keep at it. To be honest, I usually tend to only be able to write about 500-1000 words in a sitting before I get distracted again tho and fall back into procrastination.
I smoke pot. Works every time. Always need to keep a supply of snacks handy tho.