What makes you want to comment?

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
I hear often that aspiring writers want to hit trending. For me though, the desire is comments. Feedback, reactions, criticism, etc, I want it.

But I see many readers who are silent, and even some who actually favorite a chapter, but I scarcely hear a word from.

Obviously, in some cases, commenting gets in the flow of reading. In that case, should I update less, so people come to the most current chapter and want to comment on their thoughts so far?

I want to hear what y'all have to say.

I do find myself commenting when I've run out of chapters to read, but I also think it has to do with temprement. You've probably noticed from my comments on your story that I tend to comment more than most people. 😄

D

Deleted member 45782

Some things that would probably compel me to comment:
Providing constructive criticism. Or if a story is very good, I'll also comment on the chapters (I miss those inline ones on Wattpad).

Malonymous

On the flipside, as an author I tend to get more comments when I post author notes and discuss things like my thoughts on the current chapter/story arc. I love finding out 'behind the scenes' kind of stuff, and I think many others do too. Or at least it might give readers something more personal to resonate with and inspire them to share their own thoughts, if that makes sense. You could always try using author notes to prompt readers for feedback!

Hathnuz

Ironically for you, people often comment more when the story hits trending, at least based on my observation and experience.
One of the easier ways to get feedback is directly asking them, either by writing it at the end of a chapter or posting a non-chapter specifically for feedback. The latter is more effective.
Personally, I only comment when they want that, though most of the time, I'm a silent reader thanks to my shy nature.

And to answer your question, you should update often but not too frequent. 2-5 times a week should be good, but it actually depends on your word count. You can get away with 2 times a month if you write 10k words chapter.

D

Deleted member 45782

On the flipside, as an author I tend to get more comments when I post author notes and discuss things like my thoughts on the current chapter/story arc. I love finding out 'behind the scenes' kind of stuff, and I think many others do too. Or at least it might give readers something more personal to resonate with and inspire them to share their own thoughts, if that makes sense. You could always try using author notes to prompt readers for feedback!
Interesting that sounds pretty cool. :D
Will keep that in mind.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
When the chapters have flags, foreshadowing, reveal and stuff like that, people would comment on the chapter to explain and discuss it.

Though people tend to not comment on chopped up chapters, cliffhangers and stuff. This situation is not that bad if it's a cliffhanger, since this means people are excited to read next chapter but if there's no next chapter and people aren't "Where's the next chap Author-san!" Or "Don't kill XXX-san, Meanie Author!", then your cliffhanger isn't effective

In conclusion, people tend to comment when you interest the curiosity or emotion of people.

D

Deleted member 45782

Ironically for you, people often comment more when the story hits trending, at least based on my observation and experience.
One of the easier ways to get feedback is directly asking them, either by writing it at the end of a chapter or posting a non-chapter specifically for feedback. The latter is more effective.
Personally, I only comment when they want that, though most of the time, I'm a silent reader thanks to my shy nature.
Cool. Hehe. I haven't read much but if I do, I'll probably not be signed in to comment anyways. I prefer not to sign in unless I have to. So I may also fall into the silent reader category as well XD.

And to answer your question, you should update often but not too frequent. 2-5 times a week should be good, but it actually depends on your word count. You can get away with 2 times a month if you write 10k words chapter.
I'm updating sometimes multiple times a day though and get plenty of comments, though I am writing transgender/gender bender

Hathnuz

I'm updating sometimes multiple times a day though and get plenty of comments, though I am writing transgender/gender bender
Yeah, that's because they're popular here, next to smut. I guess writing stories with popular genres is also a viable way to get comments.

WasatchWind

I do find myself commenting when I've run out of chapters to read, but I also think it has to do with temprement. You've probably noticed from my comments on your story that I tend to comment more than most people. 😄
And I am very grateful for the comments. :)

WasatchWind

Oof. I'm probably uploading too much then. Maybe I should take a break.

Nezothecat

My story was given privilege enough to have readers that like to share their thoughts.

Tho sometimes it is because the story lacks information. XD

Regardless, I think authors like us need to reply to them so they know we appreciate them as well. (I really appreciate readers especially the ones that you know were there from the start)

Give some time! Your story is really good, so good they dont have the problem which i have. XD