What makes you want to comment?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I try to comment as much as possible, but sometimes I'm too tired or I really can't think of anything to say.

I tend to hold back from commenting on older chapters, since it feels like I'd be bothering the author with comments they no longer care about.

I also gauge how friendly the author seems. If it feels like they'll lash out at you for a mistake or two, there's a higher chance that I'll keep quiet to avoid trouble.

As for things that make it easier to comment on a chapter... I find that comedic scenes, fluffy romance moments, tamer fanservice, infuriating enemies, and such things, are the type of occurences that it's easiest to leave a comment about.

sereminar

I like commenting on basically every chapter I read. Because I like letting the author know that people are reading their story and appreciate it! That being said a lot of my comments are just low effort emojiblobs when I don't know what else to say. I just figure that the authors deserve something for all their wonderful work :p

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I like commenting on basically every chapter I read. Because I like letting the author know that people are reading their story and appreciate it! That being said a lot of my comments are just low effort emojiblobs when I don't know what else to say. I just figure that the authors deserve something for all their wonderful work :p
Believe me, we as authors appreciate even the lowest of effort. When you put a lot of time and effort into a chapter/story and there's no comments it sometimes drops morale. So, if you're enjoying a story...please let the writer know in some way.

@Moonpearl

Please comment on older chapters too! I love reading comments on the older chapters because it gets me excited to see how readers further back view the story. lol (My personal view on that.)

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
I try to comment as much as possible, but sometimes I'm too tired or I really can't think of anything to say.

I tend to hold back from commenting on older chapters, since it feels like I'd be bothering the author with comments they no longer care about.

I also gauge how friendly the author seems. If it feels like they'll lash out at you for a mistake or two, there's a higher chance that I'll keep quiet to avoid trouble.

As for things that make it easier to comment on a chapter... I find that comedic scenes, fluffy romance moments, tamer fanservice, infuriating enemies, and such things, are the type of occurences that it's easiest to leave a comment about.
I can't speak for every author, but please! Comment on the older chapters! And I'm thick skinned I think. As long as you stick to DEscribing what you're feeling "this chapter feels slow," rather than PREscribing what the author should do "you should put an action scene here," most authors won't mind, though possible suggestions aren't bad.

And I doubt any author would have a problem with just basic reactions like "that was a funny chapter!" or "I hate that character so much!" probably won't illicit negative feelings.

Maybe having an author posted comment there already will spark discussion?

D

Deleted member 20302

I know of some authors who don't bother replying or even like stories so perhaps after repeatedly being ignored, they stop doing it at any stories. I do the same of not commenting after realising its fruitless and a waste of time (even at the latest chapters). How should I know if the author read my comments and got scolded because I assumed the person didn't read? When there was not a single indication of response?

Because of this, I learn to respond to each of my commenters or at least like to show my acknowledgement that I read them.

But some said above are right, it's more of a physiological and emotional thing to make people respond more often. If not, they won't bother.

Oh also give shoutouts to those who keep saying "Thank you for the chapter" in every story they read. They are the best people since
1. They show they read and probably enjoy it
2. They appreciate us authors writing something for them

D

Deleted member 20302

I can't speak for every author, but please! Comment on the older chapters! And I'm thick skinned I think. As long as you stick to DEscribing what you're feeling "this chapter feels slow," rather than PREscribing what the author should do "you should put an action scene here," most authors won't mind, though possible suggestions aren't bad.

And I doubt any author would have a problem with just basic reactions like "that was a funny chapter!" or "I hate that character so much!" probably won't illicit negative feelings.

Maybe having an author posted comment there already will spark discussion?
This is also my biggest annoying thing, continuing from my previous post. I don't understand why they can't read older comments or even respond to these simple replies.

When I could. The number of notification can't be that bad even for big authors (I have close to 10 at most but still, it shouldn't be so hard to take their time to read each of them)

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Mmmm well, for me, at least, I'll comment if I like the author or feel comfortable with them. I tend to lurk a little and see how they're interacting with others, especially those of my ilk.

The person the author is is important to me. If they're personable, kind and genuine, I'm more likely to comment - there's something enticing about having a rapport with folk like that. It's hard to describe, but it's there. It feels like you're rewarding them for their warmth and kindness as well as their work, which you'd feel is written with you and your fellow readers' enjoyment in mind. The better the author treats myself and others, the higher the quality of my comments. The longest single comment I've given this week on another site is 313 words - I've given that author a approximately 840 words worth of comments in all their four chapters, not including replies to their replies.

The breezy and fun types of authors who like short comments will get fun comments, puns and jokes.

As far as I know, I'm not alone either. I've spoken to other readers in other forums and they too have mentioned that they'll comment if the author is nice. Perhaps it's because writing on platforms have become a bit like social media, and there's a lot of competition to get people to engage with creations. You don't just sell your art - you sell yourself too. It's a bit like a package deal; an extra to stand out amongst all the other writers.

Having inserted images help too, on my end at least. I'm more visually inclined, so you'd expect me to at least say, "that's a very pretty picture!" or "I like what you did with the lines", especially if it's drawn by the author themselves. I'll notice a change in covers too, sometimes, even when unprompted. But it really depends on the reader. I've heard of those who don't like images with the text and prefer them placed elsewhere, in the notes perhaps, etc. So I would not readily recommend an author do it unless they're very sure they want to or it suits their style and format.

If it's critiques that the writer wants....... I don't really give critiques in general. I understand they'd like those to help them improve, but that sort of thing is not really my domain.

As far as stopping goes... I don't really comment further if I don't receive a reply. I've also a history of deleting comments I've made if I don't receive replies to them, especially if the author is replying to other comments but not to mine. It's mostly to save face. The latter doesn't really happen anymore, because nowadays I tend to lurk and pore through other comments and the author's socials or activity before commenting at all.

That's mostly it, I think. It's not hard for me to read at least one chapter and make comments on it. It's just that there are certain things that compel me to do it more or less. But the one thing I'd agree with is that the summary and premise of the story does have to catch my interest as well. It's a combination of a lot of things, really.

WasatchWind

This is also my biggest annoying thing, continuing from my previous post. I don't understand why they can't read older comments or even respond to these simple replies.

When I could. The number of notification can't be that bad even for big authors (I have close to 10 at most but still, it shouldn't be so hard to take their time to read each of them)
Seeing a rush of notifications honestly fills me with sheer glee

D

Deleted member 49654

As a reader, I am mostly one of these silently lurking types that rarely comment. If the story is enjoyable, then I find it a bit wasteful to spend time commenting. First, I can use this time reading more. Second, I can evade random spoilers/desires mentioned in the comment section. Third, as this is a story I already enjoy, I feel like I don't have anything significant to share. On the other hand, if I don't like the fable, I won't force myself to continue reading it. This makes commenting a bit pointless, at least from the perspective of a reader.

So what makes me comment? The answer is: when I get shocked by something in a story I like. This refers to both positive and negative aspects of the development. Mostly, I will comment if I absolutely adore the specific chapter or if something considerably irritates me.

If I think about this from a writer's point of view, then I guess I'd enjoy seeing someone comment on my writing. First, it can give you motivation, and second, you can interact with your readers closing the distance between you. Makes things feel more personal and maybe even helps with improving your work.

All in all, I guess I am not the best type of reader in the eyes of writers, lol.

WasatchWind

As a reader, I am mostly one of these silently lurking types that rarely comment. If the story is enjoyable, then I find it a bit wasteful to spend time commenting. First, I can use this time reading more. Second, I can evade random spoilers/desires mentioned in the comment section. Third, as this is a story I already enjoy, I feel like I don't have anything significant to share. On the other hand, if I don't like the fable, I won't force myself to continue reading it. This makes commenting a bit pointless, at least from the perspective of a reader.

So what makes me comment? The answer is: when I get shocked by something in a story I like. This refers to both positive and negative aspects of the development. Mostly, I will comment if I absolutely adore the specific chapter or if something considerably irritates me.

If I think about this from a writer's point of view, then I guess I'd enjoy seeing someone comment on my writing. First, it can give you motivation, and second, you can interact with your readers closing the distance between you. Makes things feel more personal and maybe even helps with improving your work.

All in all, I guess I am not the best type of reader in the eyes of writers, lol.
From the perspective of an author, we like comments, even if they are just, "I like you story."

If you do feel comfortable commenting or you just don't see a need to do so on a book you enjoy, then reviews and favorites are much appreciated.

I can't speak for other authors, but what I desire is feedback. I want to know the general impression people get of my work. I want to know what places are solid, and which need work.

D

Deleted member 49654

Well, I certainly can understand, and as a newbie writer, I definitely agree with you. The problem is that when I am reading a story that I love, I tend to binge it, wanting to see more of the world. This makes it a bit difficult to pay attention to mundane things like commenting. And more often than not, if I delve into the comment section, I risk getting irritated because of the clash of viewpoints. Things I liked in the chapter, someone is dissing, while the stuff I am happy not to see, someone expresses a desire for.

I think reviews and favorites are better choices than just writing a comment. Though I can understand the appreciation, one would feel seeing a simple "Good job!" as well.

WasatchWind

Well, I certainly can understand, and as a newbie writer, I definitely agree with you. The problem is that when I am reading a story that I love, I tend to binge it, wanting to see more of the world. This makes it a bit difficult to pay attention to mundane things like commenting. And more often than not, if I delve into the comment section, I risk getting irritated because of the clash of viewpoints. Things I liked in the chapter, someone is dissing, while the stuff I am happy not to see, someone expresses a desire for.

I think reviews and favorites are better choices than just writing a comment. Though I can understand the appreciation, one would feel seeing a simple "Good job!" as well.
And considering I don't have enough comments on my story for people to get into fights, well... I want that 😄

Michuyu

If the chapter was so good that I wanna just keep reading, I might skip commenting lol but anyways, I tend to comment if there is a thought-provoking end to a chapter. shorter chapters make it easier for me to comment as well because if it was too long, I'd lose the energy to comment. However, if there is a feature for inline commenting, like on Wattpad, I'd probably be commenting here and there throughout the chapter no matter the chapter length.

WasatchWind

If the chapter was so good that I wanna just keep reading, I might skip commenting lol but anyways, I tend to comment if there is a thought-provoking end to a chapter. shorter chapters make it easier for me to comment as well because if it was too long, I'd lose the energy to comment. However, if there is a feature for inline commenting, like on Wattpad, I'd probably be commenting here and there throughout the chapter no matter the chapter length.
Yeah, I really miss inline comments. I makes it so you can actually remark on specific things.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I hear often that aspiring writers want to hit trending. For me though, the desire is comments. Feedback, reactions, criticism, etc, I want it.

But I see many readers who are silent, and even some who actually favorite a chapter, but I scarcely hear a word from.

Obviously, in some cases, commenting gets in the flow of reading. In that case, should I update less, so people come to the most current chapter and want to comment on their thoughts so far?

I want to hear what y'all have to say.
I wish to comment because of the thoughts in my mind. If I see that there are some mistakes, I may point them out. If the author themself is active a lot, I will be, too.

D

Deleted member 20302

And considering I don't have enough comments on my story for people to get into fights, well... I want that 😄
I got into one before in the main site. Not my story, but with the Author of a book I happen to criticise.

I was criticizing his story for poor editing and plot and some other commenters agreed with me. Then, I told them not to bother saying anything anymore since the author hardly replies or even like a comment in all his comments, after many months. That is even when we all are criticizing his story for the same thing.

Well... the moment I said that he finally replies and defend himself as to why he never says anything and all and that I shouldn't assume first. I decide to just keep quiet rather than trying to start an argument in ScribbleHub. I simply learn (this was before I started writing) from this incident that I have to try my best to reply or at least acknowledge as many commenters as possible. I believe some readers do want interaction as it's common nowadays to do that. But you do you I guess.

Though... @WakerOfWinds are you a masochist or something? :blob_shock:
Maybe should just go and make one somewhere...

D

Deleted member 29316

I only comment when I want to thank the author, or encourage him/her in his/her work.

If I don't like a story, usually I'd stay quiet. If the author is asking for a feedback, I'd PM him/her about it.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I only comment when I want to thank the author, or encourage him/her in his/her work.

If I don't like a story, usually I'd stay quiet. If the author is asking for a feedback, I'd PM him/her about it.
But as an author... that can get a bit annoying if you have a large amount of active readers... not me.