What new SF genres,

LWFlouisa

Do you see coming out in the next decade or so? I'm not including generative art, as that's written by a machine and generally has a different quality from stuff written by a human. I mean genuine books written by people.

One genre that seems under utilized, is historical and futuristic fusion. Note I don't mean Steampunk really. But more other factors: someone from an historical time period, dies and is reincarnated in a new century.

( In my usage, generally that's been in a Cyberpunk narrative, where the person must cope with the memories from things like past life regression, and how life in the present day in political upheavel has different ramification from previous revolutions. )

I get the argument that there are to many genres, although someone who writes stories like that, would have a hard time seperating themselves from every other Young Adult dystopian writer.

And to me, the problem with dystopian, is so many books under that umbrella, that are otherwise dissimilar.

But it seems like there is a lot of genres developing. And there is historical precedent in new genres being created.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Historical is underrated but also very hard to confidently write about.

For me, I think Horror and Psychological are underutilized, it doesn't have to be gore to be horror, just the atmospheric despair that was lacking in most pieces of literature. Philosophy is also another aspect that is insanely hard to write about but would be very memorable if done correctly.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
atmospheric despair

atmospheric horror (where horror is directed in a mismatched atmosphere, causing distrust in the environment and a general sense of unease e.g: silent hill but everyone is an MLP character)

thatd be so cool dawg

LostinMovement

I personally find Dystopia to be the most overused and over-saturated genre in modern Si-fiction. It's rarely done right in YA literature. TV actually tends to deal with Dystopian narratives much better. Take Westworld or Handmaid's Tale for example. I read both books and although they are originally novels, their cinematic/visual representations are far more superior in my opinion.

I do agree with both of you @LWFlouisa and @GDLiZy, historical fiction is truly underrated. Outlander and Poldark are both great books and this is reflected in the writings of their shows. Psychological Horror is the truest form of horror. This is from someone who did their MA thesis on this very topic. If you're interested in this @GDLiZy ,I recommend the show The Haunting of Hill House for you. It blurs the line between the different types of the horror genre. Great writing/cast as well.
I would love to see a Steampunk show adapted from a novel. I find this genre truly interesting.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I would love to see a Steampunk show adapted from a novel. I find this genre truly interesting.
mortal engines, though that movie sullied the name Steampunk the aesthetic is the closest you'd ever get

now if you excuse me im gonna bleach my fingers and keyboard for mentioning that cinematic shitstain