What phrase/quote do you hate?

Horizon209

For phrase, it's "educate yourself" since they seem to be narcissistic and felt the need to bring down others
For a quote, it's "money can't buy you happiness" it's true that money can't buy happiness but it can give someone freedom. I'd rather be sad and rich than poor and sad. At least I can travel the world and eat the foods that I like.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
"there is no such thing as a free lunch in this world."
Ah yes, its not like my parents fed me for free for 16 years, and every baby is perfecty capable of paying for their meal. Nor does charity exist.
Just erase that saying from history and use "If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." It carries roughly the same sentiment without being demonstably false.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I don't like the phase "follow your feelings" or "do what you feel is right" because emotions aren't usually the best thing to use as a moral compass when it's pretty obvious that a large portion of people are either emotionally unstable or lack concern for others.
"there is no such thing as a free lunch in this world."
Ah yes, its not like my parents fed me for free for 16 years, and every baby is perfecty capable of paying for their meal. Nor does charity exist.
Just erase that saying from history and use "If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." It carries roughly the same sentiment without being demonstably false.
I would disagree on the grounds that someone had to pay for it. Yeah, your parents fed you for 16 years but they needed to work for it. Charities exist but only because people who work for things donated to it and are willing to care for their fellow person through their own labor. Just because someone got it for free doesn't mean that someone else didn't support them by paying for it or working to make sure they could have it. You may see a free lunch but it was paid for by someone else through monetary means or by working. As for the other saying "if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" is less of a saying that demonstrates facts but rather warns people to be cautious of deals.

Last edited:

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I would disagree on the grounds that someone had to pay for it. Yeah, your parents fed you for 16 years but they needed to work for it. Charities exist but only because people who work for things donated to it and are willing to care for their fellow person through their own labor. Just because someone got it for free doesn't mean that someone else didn't support them by paying for it or working to make sure they could have it. You may see a free lunch but it was paid for by someone else through monetary means or by working. As for the other saying "if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" is less of a saying that demonstrates facts but rather warns people to be cautious of deals.
On a universal scale, and taking the saying completely literally, you are correct.
If we refer to the laws of physics, "every action must have an equal and opposite reaction", so for anything that happens in the world, there is a "cost" that must be paid.
There are some legitimate uses for this saying, which I did not think about before (thanks wikipedia).

However, I was specifically referring to the way that it is used in all the light novels that I have read.
I can't remember how many times I have read the plot of someone offering to help the mc, the mc musing "there is no such thing as a free lunch in this world" and rejecting help with no other explanation. And inevitably, it turns out that yes, that kind person had a machiavellian plan to put him in his debt or something.
That saying is then promptly ignored when a pretty girl (harem material) offers our mc a gift, or when the mc, being an at least semi-decent person, helps others in need without expecting something in return.
Perhaps I should be complaining about the misuse of that saying, but regardless, I find it incredibly irritating.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
On a universal scale, and taking the saying completely literally, you are correct.
If we refer to the laws of physics, "every action must have an equal and opposite reaction", so for anything that happens in the world, there is a "cost" that must be paid.
There are some legitimate uses for this saying, which I did not think about before (thanks wikipedia).

However, I was specifically referring to the way that it is used in all the light novels that I have read.
I can't remember how many times I have read the plot of someone offering to help the mc, the mc musing "there is no such thing as a free lunch in this world" and rejecting help with no other explanation. And inevitably, it turns out that yes, that kind person had a machiavellian plan to put him in his debt or something.
That saying is then promptly ignored when a pretty girl (harem material) offers our mc a gift, or when the mc, being an at least semi-decent person, helps others in need without expecting something in return.
Perhaps I should be complaining about the misuse of that saying, but regardless, I find it incredibly irritating.
I see. So you don't disagree with the statement but rather dislike the usage of it as an excuse to not accept help. Sounds reasonable.

SailusGebel

For phrase, it's "carefully."
For a quote, it's "Destigmatizing polyamory will make life better for monogamous people because it will allow everyone to be honest about the relationship style they want before people commit to a relationship."

Macha

Not a Klutz
❝ I don't think i will ever smile again.❞

🎞️| Belladonna of Sadness (1973)
🎥| Eiichi Yamamoto

Schultz_von

Every time someone uses "It's in our nature" or something along those lines every time they do something horrific.
No, it's not.
You have a mind and so you can think. You chose these choices. Either you chose to be ignorant of the consequences of your action, or you deliberately chose these choices knowing full well of the consequence of your own action.
"why are you doing this?" and "please I have a family"
Agree. Not to mention when they start saying, "Shh ... it's going be alright ... just close your eyes," or something along those lines.
God, they not joking when they say it can be so monotonous.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
For phrase, it's "educate yourself" since they seem to be narcissistic and felt the need to bring down others
For a quote, it's "money can't buy you happiness" it's true that money can't buy happiness but it can give someone freedom. I'd rather be sad and rich than poor and sad. At least I can travel the world and eat the foods that I like.
"What is the meaning of life?" It's a stupid question and is asked very stupidly

Plantorsomething

blood thicker than water, it’s misused everytime. (It was actually blood of friendship thicker than water of the womb, or something. Might have remembered wrong.)
also
I chose the path less traveled, also misused (to the delight of the author, who had himself predicted its misuse. The roads were identical; the whole poem is about us making up a reasoning for why we chose one of the paths after the fact in hindsight. Even though they were identical, he later convinced himself he took the path less traveled)

Kenjona

I bet someone is writing down everyone's words and will use them all in a story.

For me lately its: "It's not my fault!".