Editing What pronouns would you use in this situation?

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
In my story, I have a character whose hiding their gender, I refer to them as he/she, I try to limit my usage of those pronouns but it can be quite arduous.

I'm fine with it since it doesn't actually interfere with my reading but some of my readers aren't.

They/their is highly recommended but I rather not use those plural gender neutral pronouns since in universe it refers to 'impotency.'

What would you guys do in this situation.

Immortal_17

In my story, I have a character whose hiding their gender, I refer to them as he/she, I try to limit my usage of those pronouns but it can be quite arduous.

I'm fine with it since it doesn't actually interfere with my reading but some of my readers aren't.

They/their is highly recommended but I rather not use those plural gender neutral pronouns since in universe it refers to 'impotency.'

It depends if your novel is first, third person or omniscient perspective. If the protagonist doesn't know then it is recommended to use the gender the person wants others to know them by. But if your novel has a bit of omniscience and third person perspective like mine then use the real gender in some situations. My answer is based on if your novel has multiple pov.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
It depends if your novel is first, third person or omniscient perspective. If the protagonist doesn't know then it is recommended to use the gender the person wants others to know them by. But if your novel has a bit of omniscience and third person perspective like mine then use the real gender in some situations. My answer is based on if your novel has multiple pov.
Very limited third person, technically speaking, there's one perspective, the narraror only knows what's happening in the vicinity of the protagonist.

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
Simple, don't. Repeated use of the character's names might get annoying to read, so construct your sentences in a way that'll avoid pronouns. This does get difficult if they are a frequent character. To solve this, just try to use things aside from the name, ex: titles like "the potato farmer".

Edit: lol, did not catch that you were already doing that

Last edited:

Immortal_17

Very limited third person, technically speaking, there's one perspective, the narraror only knows what's happening in the vicinity of the protagonist.
Then like I said: use the gender the person wants everyone to know them by or if they don't reveal anything then just make the MC guess what gender they are by looks, mannerisms and voice.

Daitengu

There's always using old English. Back when it had three genders. He, her, thee. His, hers, thine.

It's a bit off sounding but as you requested, not plural. Imo, better to repurpose dead words than morph currently used ones.

There's the option of borrowing other languages third gender words, but considering English, it'd be German. Which it has, but I don't know the uses.

Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
There is an option of describing who you are talking about, for example writing 'the black fairy' instead of she, he, the name of said fairy or whatever else. You can use many different descriptions for one being, adjusting them to the situation and the being's relation to different people. You can use 'her friend', 'the zooming fairy', 'dark-haired girl', you can also adjust it to the dialogues and use some humor, for example 'the eldritch abomination' if someone has recently referred to the being as such.

A very good thing about that approach is that it also reminds readers what they are dealing with. For example, if you write 'she' or use the name, readers might not remember the character you are talking about, but write 'the blonde bimbo' and everyone will connect it to the character from a hundred chapters back, so long as she left appropriate impression. That works especially well with humor, because two things people tend to remember the best are stupid things and things they shouldn't remember.

Two stories that stood out to me in this matter are Azarinth Healer (only humor) and PurpleCatGirl's Maraverse (and probably other stories I haven't read).

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

Depends on whose POV you’re writing in and how that POV’s character perceives that person—like by look or something. Though, I still recommend using “them.” I’ve seen “them” used on some homosexual and genderless characters before.

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Use the gender that mc is assuming lol

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
There is an option of describing who you are talking about, for example writing 'the black fairy' instead of she, he, the name of said fairy or whatever else. You can use many different descriptions for one being, adjusting them to the situation and the being's relation to different people. You can use 'her friend', 'the zooming fairy', 'dark-haired girl', you can also adjust it to the dialogues and use some humor, for example 'the eldritch abomination' if someone has recently referred to the being as such.

A very good thing about that approach is that it also reminds readers what they are dealing with. For example, if you write 'she' or use the name, readers might not remember the character you are talking about, but write 'the blonde bimbo' and everyone will connect it to the character from a hundred chapters back, so long as she left appropriate impression. That works especially well with humor, because two things people tend to remember the best are stupid things and things they shouldn't remember.

Two stories that stood out to me in this matter are Azarinth Healer (only humor) and PurpleCatGirl's Maraverse (and probably other stories I haven't read).
The character isn't referred to by name, but is instead referred to by their appearance, everybody that does not know their name which is mostly everybody calls them 'Faceless.'
Depends on whose POV you’re writing in and how that POV’s character perceives that person—like by look or something. Though, I still recommend using “them.” I’ve seen “them” used on some homosexual and genderless characters before.
The character has a gender, they just hide it for historical reasons.

Dieter

the Writer
Use the gender the character is portraying as. You can leave an author's note in your chapter to tell your readers that its for clarity's sake or provisionary if you want to.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
It. Nothing wrong with calling someone an 'It'. I'm an It. A cloud of pure spite and eyes doesn't do the whole binary reproduction thing. I prefer spawning and budding. Seriously, this Breeding Kink you mammals have is really disturbing. It's right up there with endoskeletons. What the fuck is up with those mouth bones of yours? Seriously. It's disgusting. If you want to stretch out, just leave the gravity well like a civilized creature! Or Carapaces! I will admit, I was against hard external shells, but they have grown on me. Since I can't seem to pry it off, I have come to accept that maybe exoskeletons ain't so bad.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
It. Nothing wrong with calling someone an 'It'. I'm an It. A cloud of pure spite and eyes doesn't do the whole binary reproduction thing. I prefer spawning and budding. Seriously, this Breeding Kink you mammals have is really disturbing. It's right up there with endoskeletons. What the fuck is up with those mouth bones of yours? Seriously. It's disgusting. If you want to stretch out, just leave the gravity well like a civilized creature! Or Carapaces! I will admit, I was against hard external shells, but they have grown on me. Since I can't seem to pry it off, I have come to accept that maybe exoskeletons ain't so bad.
My protagonist is an it but the character I'm referring to has a hidden gender.

Eureka Eureka Eureka! I'll just use brief descriptions, eg; Faceless.