What rating do you consider low?

anything is low-rated if i don't like it

though i personally don't give ratings lower than a four star.

Zavha0mnic

Below 4.5? 4? 3? And does it deter you from checking the story out?
Am I reading or being sad about my own story? (actually my stories are still in their beginner stages so the ratings are all high with the suspense) if the story is readable in the first chapter plus i like the idea, I’ll keep going for that hit of dopamine when they win or lose in a satisfying way. The rating doesn’t matter.

My own story is for a competition with myself so I’ll keep going till it’s fucking done.

CL

"Perfect" 5 (they're not to be trusted, but sometimes they can be genuine if the arseholes haven't shat on them yet) = A
4.6 (most trustworthy trending titles ride this high) = A-
4.2 (mostly well written novels in general averages around here) = B+
3.8 (these don't have to be well written, but interesting stories can generate this score) = B
3.4 (most smut flavored with plot are around here) = B-
3.0 (worthy for any reader to check out and enjoy a surprise or regret their curiosity later) = C+
2.6 (the height restriction for pure smut) = C
2.2 (mostly not bad, but the author seriously needs an editor) = C-
1.8 (a couple of friends had helped rate a bad novel) = D+
1.2 (the author rated their own story a 5-star, but it didn't fool anybody) = D
0.4 (bad novels that had somehow dropped below a 1-star :blob_blank:... Are these real?) = D-
Absolute 0 (suggested: still check it out in case it had gone under the radar) = F

ScholarOccultCauldron

More than having a high rating (3-4+), I look at the number of chapters currently released and the chapter release rate. I don't really want to read a series that releases 1-2 chapters a month, or only has 5-10 chapters. I personally prefer stories with 30+ chapters to binge and releases 2-3+ chapters a week. Lets me gauge how the story is going to be, as well as belief that the story won't be abandoned unexpectedly.

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
I tell myself that anything under a three is probably bad, but I'm a dirty little... my standards are pretty low tbh.

OvidLemma

Anything with more than 20 reviews that has below a 4 is generally too poorly-written for me to consider. That said, I'll still read the synopsis if the tags are right. And, if the synopsis reads really well and there are a bunch of 1 ratings (and few 2s or 3s), then I'll assume the story was spammed by haters and give it a shot.

Jemini

I've seen enough troll ratings I'm of the opinion that any story with above a 4.5 has just not been around long enough to have been trolled yet. I will actually AVOID stories with ratings higher than 4.5 unless they happen to have over 50 ratings and over 100 chapters.

The range I look at most is 4.0 to 4.5. I will consider anything above a 3.5 though, but once again due to troll ratings I will consider a series lower than that if the number of ratings on the series is less than 20.

Incidentally, if a series has higher than a 4.5 rating and over 50 votes, it means it has that high rating despite having the troll votes, so I actually grow quite interested once it has passed those benchmarks.

TL;DR, the rating system can usually correctly rate an excellent series once enough votes come in, but due to troll votes it's hard to really consider the low ratings as being accurate or informative. You really do have to also consider the number of votes on the series.

bloater

I can never trust ratings, and only marginally trust reviews. Fact is that you're unique to your tastes and no amount of stars can change (fix?) that. There are 2 star novels that I absolutely love while I drop 4.5 stars after 5 chapters.

Really, I just want authors to tag properly so I can filter in stuff I'm in the mood for. Cover and title are also important, as I judge those harshly.

As for the question, if there are more than 10 ratings and it's below 3 star, it's a no.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
If we're talking average rating, then around about 3 is when I start to wonder what the novel did to upset people. It won't stop me from reading it if it looks good, though.

The way I personally rate things doesn't start meaning "negative and low" until I hit 2 stars. That tends to be how I read other people's ratings too.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
3 and below. But I tends to only rate when I enjoy the story which would not be a low one. If I didn't like the story, I'd just move on.