What type of writer are you?

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
Please check the video to understand the four parameters.

I'm Pantser-Intuitive with a little bit of Plotter. I only need to know what the story is about and the main characters. Things like the name of secondary characters, the kingdoms, how the different civilizations are; I think of them on the spot.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm probably right in the middle on the methodological-intuitive scale.
I'm a pantser, but I keep a few notes on the side and do a lot of research in advance when I am tackling a topic I'm not intimately familiar with.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Pantser generally, albeit I usually contemplate multiple outcomes and plan ahead for a few chapters by setting a general goal. It is just not set yet how I do get there and I often digress.

Methodological probably, albeit I am not sure about that.

So, in summary, methodological pantser I think.

EDIT: Yes, definitely methodological pantser. I constantly change plot and discard ideas while writing. :ROFLMAO: Back and forth.

D

Deleted member 29316

I'm an Intuitive-Plotter. I barely know about story structures and base more of my scenes on gut feelings.

However, I have lots of plotting pages in my notes, most of which provide just a general description of my story's direction.

As for secondary characters, and even main characters, I don't think much about their names. I just put in whatever I think fits the bill, and then get along with in the entire story process. However, I have their main attributes jotted down for reference.

forli

I think that I'm an intuitive plotter, but I have not written down any notes, everything is in my head (which might be a mistake).

It's a bit complicated because I also have a lot of gaps in my planned story where I don't know how I will get from one event to the next so when I get there I need to make something up as I go, on the other hand, there are some scenes that I had planned almost to the exact lines from the start. Also, I have a habit of not coming up with names for characters or places until the moment I need them.

The intuitive part is easy, I know next to nothing about writing so I cannot be anything else.

This is my first post on the forum btw, so hi.

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I think that I'm an intuitive plotter, but I have not written down any notes, everything is in my head (which might be a mistake).

It's a bit complicated because I also have a lot of gaps in my planned story where I don't know how I will get from one event to the next so when I get there I need to make something up as I go, on the other hand, there are some scenes that I had planned almost to the exact lines from the start. Also, I have a habit of not coming up with names for characters or places until the moment I need them.

The intuitive part is easy, I know next to nothing about writing so I cannot be anything else.

This is my first post on the forum btw, so hi.
Welcome to the forum.

queenofthefuzzybugs

I think I'm a Methodological Panster. I like to wing things but then I have a robust note system for story details I've figured out along the way.

Probably the biggest indicator I'm not a plotter is I hate outlines. I don't understand people who can use them. First, I don't like being told what to do in a story. Outlines are telling me what to do. Even if it's me writing them, I won't tolerate it! :blob_joy: (Apparently, creatively, even I'm not allow to be the boss of me, heh.) Secondly, outlines mean I'm writing the story twice. I have to write the whole thing out and then do it in detail a second time? I don't understand how a person can keep their sanity writing that way. That's so exhausting! I'd be bored to tears.

This is gonna sound weird, but I think I'm a bit of a forced methodological and would be happier as an intuitive. My most satisfying writing is short stories (less than 20 chapters). Why? Because in those the details matter less and I can depend heavily on my intuition (and post-editing isn't cripplingly difficult because of the word count).

The problem is my memory just isn't good enough to lean strongly intuitive most of the time. I can't do it for longer stories. It's easy for me to forget important information, key points of the world or characters. So I'm writing a lot more notes than I'd do otherwise, which can be straining and take the fun out of writing. But if I don't do it, I risk making a major mistake in the story. :sweating_profusely:

I don't start out with detailed story notes, just a story idea, but I make them along the way as I write the story. If I spend too much time on the notes, I lose interest in my story. After watching this video, I guess that means I've attempted to be a Plotter and failed miserably. Too much detail, just like outlines, is a creativity killer for me. But a little detail helps me flesh out the characters and world, making it more consistent and fun to write.

This was a really fun and educational video. Thank you for posting it. I learned something about myself!

Softserve

I am
Mid- half way into methodological
I tend to outline then go for pantser approach. Mostly write in methodological way I guess emotion factors as well as I write along with my mood

LostLibrarian

Probably halfway to the plotter side.
I plan a lot of stuff out in advance. The overall story theme, the different arcs that make the journey and also the rough story shift inside these arcs. I even go and plan a rough number of chapters for each portion, but beside a rough goal for that sequence I don't plan anything out for the chapter itself.

So it is a bit of "I need to achieve X over 3 chapters" but I'll shift those little goals according to my writing progress.
So if it feels right to use 2 or 4 chapters, or if I want to rearrange themes/events, I'll just do that...

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
I'm a center-pantser in the sense that I barely write any notes ever before writing, and I always go into new stories with little ideas on where I'm gonna bring it next. But before writing each chapter I always spend many many showers finding exactly what the general git of each scene is gonna be like. It's just all contained in my brain is all.
And on the other axis, I'm 100% intuitive. I write what would tug my own heartstrings rather than look at any writing theory.

Sophine

I seem to be a 100% intuitive writer than falls on the pantser side of the spectrum. I have next to no idea about the theories of writing, but keep getting positive feedback about how I've structured my chapters. I have to just smile and nod.