Writing What was that one piece of advice

Mechaphobic

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. When you get one star ratings it is the only way you will survive. You can try to make as many people happy as you can, but that will only anger others worse. Just do what is right and makes you happy.

tounokenja

Gyaru connoisseur
"Distraction is the lifelong enemy of a writer."
Making time to be able to write without the flow being interrupted was a key factor in allowing me to really find out if I had what it took to actually sit down and complete a single novel.

"Find your niche and exploit the hell out of it."
This advice came from a fellow author and something I've taken to heart. I absolutely cannot please all of my readers, especially the younger crowd who are insatiable and impatient. So like many of the big boi authors I've had the opportunity to learn from, their advice is similar. Cultivate an audience that enjoys niche works to the fullest. People are far more willing to wait and support when there is nothing else being created that tickles their exact fancy as the stuff a niche writer can provide them.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
1) Do whatever you want, your story, your rules. I like it when people criticise what I write but rarely do I ever change it.
2) Stick to what you intended, even if it's stupid. If you keep writing stupid like it's cool, it's gonna become cool, if you are ashamed of stupid in what you write, it's just gonna stay stupid
3) Don't stick to a schedule. Write when you want.
By following the three rules I haven't dropped three stories for maybe a year already, though my update time is rarer than diamonds

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
People don't like to write; they like to have it written.

its a redundant piece of advice but it aids me from descending into a spiral of procrastination. out of every possible advice, this is the one that stands out to me the most.

no amount of advice in the world would work if you're not even putting said advice to use

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Writing is like sex, you don't force them in their throats to like it.

NTR is like rape but sometimes people would like it.

Choosing genres aren't something as easy to find as finding your own kinks. It can take time and in the end, you go limp.

Flavor your skills to match your partner, not too much that you'll end up having to whip out a candle but not too low to go bored with the same thing over and over.

Harem has its boundaries, Threesome is good but a gangbang is too much.....

......... Okay, I might had snorted some powdered fruit packets while writing this....

DarklyReadsBooks

Writing is like sex, you don't force them in their throats to like it.

NTR is like rape but sometimes people would like it.

Choosing genres aren't something as easy to find as finding your own kinks. It can take time and in the end, you go limp.

Flavor your skills to match your partner, not too much that you'll end up having to whip out a candle but not too low to go bored with the same thing over and over.

Harem has its boundaries, Threesome is good but a gangbang is too much.....

......... Okay, I might had snorted some powdered fruit packets while writing this....
All good, I've been snorting tictacs for as long as I can remember

@Squidfish get out here, don't just like a post and not reply
tch

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Grumpy cat, are you trying to squeeze advice out of me? Lol.

I like bc I agree with them on the valid points they brought. That is all. No need to reiterate if same point and nothing different or details see worth mentioning.

Nothing can think of now anyways, so to max likes i'll go!

DarklyReadsBooks

Grumpy cat, are you trying to squeeze advice out of me? Lol.

I like bc I agree with them on the valid points they brought. That is all. No need to reiterate if same point and nothing different or details see worth mentioning.

Nothing can think of now anyways, so to max likes i'll go!
thought it was obvious?

Agentt

Thighs
I didn't get any advice, I just had a dream, like the dream we see at night, and I thought,
Huh. I should write that.
Which explains why I have been writing for 2 years and am still unsuccessful

DarklyReadsBooks

I didn't get any advice, I just had a dream, like the dream we see at night, and I thought,
Huh. I should write that.
Which explains why I have been writing for 2 years and am still unsuccessful
sounds about right

bigbear51

-Don't spend too much time trying to perfect your story, you'll never get it done otherwise.
-Don't waste time on flowery language in writing.

I guess that's pretty much my answer to the people that wonder how I'm able to get so many chapters out.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Don't try countering the arguments of people giving you constructive criticism, you'll just lose a good source of criticism that you currently have.

Just accept the criticism for what it is. You can disagree with it, or agree with it, but don't argue with the person providing it regardless.

LordJoyde

Write for yourself and only yourself.
The best books were published by authors who were thought to be insane by those around them, not those who had adoring fans prodding into every single detail.
If you want to finish a book, never stray from your own set paths. That will do nothing but demoralize you.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl

Jemini

A great writer does not just sit down and write the perfect written work. A great writer writes an Ok work, and then he edits it, and then edits it again, and then edits it again, and then keeps editing it, polishing it, and getting other opinions on it until it finally becomes something great.

This advice was made extra effective by the fact it was delivered by an English teacher and his class was the first one I ever got an A quality essay paper out of. Before his class, I was a C English student and I did not consider writing a strength of mine at all. In fact, I felt I was rather bad at it. The me before this class would have never considered writing as something on my horizon. It was after hearing and applying this advice that this all changed for me.

JayDirex

all of this advice is good. here's my actual practical advice that you should heed:

the stickiest stories and the ones that people read and like the most are the ones about interpersonal relationships. As opposed to plot driven stories (high fantasy high adventure lots of things happening that the hero has to do). heavy plot stories have a much harder time taking off than say a story about a man and a woman and their personal drama. also, long chapter legths in online fiction is ridiculous. if your chapters are too long people won't turn the page to the next one. keep the chapters between 900 and 1800 words if you actually want them to turn the page.

people will present anecdotal counter arguments to what I just said. but trust, me I've been doing this a while. heed my advice.