What would happen if someone post the Holy Bible?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Depends on the book. The holy bible has multiple instances where - following the usual of the time - underaged characters where married and had children. Those sexual acts would be a clear violation of the content guidelines and people could report the bible and get it taken down...

That's an interesting point. A lot of historically accurate works wouldn't meet this site's standards. You couldn't even try to write Game of Thrones on here.

LostLibrarian

That's an interesting point. A lot of historically accurate works wouldn't meet this site's standards. You couldn't even try to write Game of Thrones on here.
You would probably survive by "cutting to black early" and just hinting at it. But yeah, explicit stuff like Game of Thrones would be problematic...

Schwab

You would probably survive by "cutting to black early" and just hinting at it. But yeah, explicit stuff like Game of Thrones would be problematic...
I mean, what isn't problematic about Game of Thrones? The Bible (tmk) never goes into explicit detail about sex (except for that one chapter where it has some...interesting descriptions) but GoT is just wild.

TLCsDestiny

I've placed the idea of the bible in two of my stories but it's basically me making fun of it...
I think it's a boring book and I really don't know how people still think that they can live by it 'til this day. So weird...
If someone were to put it on SH, I wouldn't give it any attention *Shrugs*

Jemini

If the holy bible was posted in pirate language or pig latin, then it might be okay.

Why am I thinking about posting the bible in Tirapar elven now?

FYI: Tirapar elven is the con-lang (created language) I made for the elves of my world in my series, "Key to the Void." Following the Tolkein convention, "Tirapar" is the word for "elf" in their language. (Tolkein made several different dialects of Elven for Middle Earth, each of them were named with the respective dialect's word for "elf.")

Anyway, I think just translating the bible to my version of Elven would be an effort even more monumental than just writing my own series. But, then again, it will definitely be an excellent way to flesh out the language. (Right now, I'm just creating new words on an as-needed basis.)

You know what? The more I talk about it, the more I manage to convince myself this might actually be a good idea.

Jemini

I've placed the idea of the bible in two of my stories but it's basically me making fun of it...
I think it's a boring book and I really don't know how people still think that they can live by it 'til this day. So weird...
If someone were to put it on SH, I wouldn't give it any attention *Shrugs*

There are good reasons to be familiar with religious texts, at the very least you can make allusions to the text. Religious texts are incredibly powerful in terms of the imagery they contain, which in turn has permeated the psyche of most of the population from cultures that follow said religious tradition. The Bible is the holy text of the religion that has the strongest representation in the western world, which means it ought to be the very top of any author's reading list for the sake of making allusions to it in their writing.

On the other extreme, it's also equally good to study the holy texts of the most powerful dead religions. The top list would be Norse, Greek, Mesopotamian, and Mayan holy traditions. I do hesitate in actually recommending Norse and Greek though. True, they ARE pretty powerful in terms of social dissemination, but they have been popularly caricaturized WAY too much to the extent where lazy writers often use them very ineffectively. If you are going to use Greek or Norse mythology, you're going to have to study into it a little further than they typical lazy author we are seeing nowadays.

Personally, I like to use a combination of old-testament bible and Mesopotamian imagery in my writing. The main reason for my isolating the bible to the old testament is because the old testament and Mesopotamian lore have far more cross-overs than anyone who has failed to REALLY study both would ever realize, to the point where the book of Jobe has a line where it almost sounds like God has confused himself with Marduk (the head god in Mesopotamian lore.) The Cherub is another interesting point between the two. In Christian lore it's pronounced "chair-ebb" and describes the 2nd from the top tier of angels, and it has the head of a lion, the torso and arms of a man, the wings of an eagle, and the lower body of an ox. In Mesopotamian lore, it's pronounced "care-ub" and it describes a composite creature similar to the griffin in other cultures, and it has the head of a man, the front body of a lion, the hind body of an ox, and the wings of an eagle. (same 4 creatures, just swaps the position of the head and upper body.)

Really, if you're going to combine any 2 bits of religious lore, these two are the most compatible in existence. Seriously, the relationship between the bible's mentions of "the leviathan" and "the dragon" potentially referring to Tiamat from the Mesopotamian lore is something that once seen cannot be un-seen, and it's God's speech to Jobe that really makes that possibility difficult if not impossible to ignore.

TLCsDestiny

There are good reasons to be familiar with religious texts, at the very least you can make allusions to the text. Religious texts are incredibly powerful in terms of the imagery they contain, which in turn has permeated the psyche of most of the population from cultures that follow said religious tradition. The Bible is the holy text of the religion that has the strongest representation in the western world, which means it ought to be the very top of any author's reading list for the sake of making allusions to it in their writing.

On the other extreme, it's also equally good to study the holy texts of the most powerful dead religions. The top list would be Norse, Greek, Mesopotamian, and Mayan holy traditions. I do hesitate in actually recommending Norse and Greek though. True, they ARE pretty powerful in terms of social dissemination, but they have been popularly caricaturized WAY too much to the extent where lazy writers often use them very ineffectively. If you are going to use Greek or Norse mythology, you're going to have to study into it a little further than they typical lazy author we are seeing nowadays.

Personally, I like to use a combination of old-testament bible and Mesopotamian imagery in my writing. The main reason for my isolating the bible to the old testament is because the old testament and Mesopotamian lore have far more cross-overs than anyone who has failed to REALLY study both would ever realize, to the point where the book of Jobe has a line where it almost sounds like God has confused himself with Marduk (the head god in Mesopotamian lore.) The Cherub is another interesting point between the two. In Christian lore it's pronounced "chair-ebb" and describes the 2nd from the top tier of angels, and it has the head of a lion, the torso and arms of a man, the wings of an eagle, and the lower body of an ox. In Mesopotamian lore, it's pronounced "care-ub" and it describes a composite creature similar to the griffin in other cultures, and it has the head of a man, the front body of a lion, the hind body of an ox, and the wings of an eagle. (same 4 creatures, just swaps the position of the head and upper body.)

Really, if you're going to combine any 2 bits of religious lore, these two are the most compatible in existence. Seriously, the relationship between the bible's mentions of "the leviathan" and "the dragon" potentially referring to Tiamat from the Mesopotamian lore is something that once seen cannot be un-seen, and it's God's speech to Jobe that really makes that possibility difficult if not impossible to ignore.

I wouldn't make my books based on religion, it just states some things about it. The book is interesting, I won't deny it!
If not putting too much religion in my books makes me a lazy writer, then so be it. I write books to my own liking and if I put in religion then I'd probably never finish it!
If people don't read my books because it's 'reliously wrong', I'm sorta happy to not have to worry about it lol.

Jemini

I wouldn't make my books based on religion, it just states some things about it. The book is interesting, I won't deny it!
If not putting too much religion in my books makes me a lazy writer, then so be it. I write books to my own liking and if I put in religion then I'd probably never finish it!
If people don't read my books because it's 'reliously wrong', I'm sorta happy to not have to worry about it lol.

I will definitely give it this. If you are going to include religious imagery that goes beyond just having angels and mentions of some "god" in your story, your story is going to have to have a serious tone and your world building needs to create the image of a rich culture and atmosphere. (Even Disgaea only has its whimsical tone on a surface level, it manages to get away with it's religious imagry and direct mentions of what is supposedly the Christian god by having a fairly serious undertone and some excellent world building.) So, you have to be alright with that kind of tone and high level of writing before you embark on such an endeavor.

So, there are definite merits and demerits to the approach. You are writing with some serious limitations on yourself if you decide to include religious lore. So, you have to make the personal decision as an author whether the merits of what you gain for the power of the imagery in your story outweigh the demerits of the considerably narrowed lines of tone and strict rules you are going to have to follow while writing.

I'm the kind of crazy who actually creates an entire custom language for my world though, so by comparison the rules for effectively including IRL religious allusions in my story are actually kinda light in the face of that level of effort.

TLCsDestiny

...you go on and on and lost me.
You do things your way mate and I'll do things mine. If I don't get readers then it's my own fault.

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
What i haven't seen the other commenters talk about is the very real possibility of getting smited by God after Jesus tells him that you stole his work without giving him a cut of the money.

And there is also the large chance of getting your ip hacked and house bombed by Santa and his communist reindeer.

Anyways as long as you get Jesus' permission and follow what everyone else is saying I think you'll be fine!

D

Deleted member 45782

Next thing you know there'll be a Jesus page...i remember someone made an account named Jesus on Wattpad...apparently a lot of people go there to clean their eyes after reading some smut or some ahem interesting scenes...

the more you know from reading the comments and trying to figure out what everyone keeps referring too...:blob_blank:

Seraiah_Writes

Well, objectively speaking, most of the manga and light novels out there who portrays the Church, especially the Pope, are misrepresenting the Church and the Pope.

The Roman Catholic Religion is preaching about love, peace, and faith, not greed, and ill intention. Well, even though there are flaws in any kind of religion, because humans are humans, I stand strong that the Church is most often than not, misrepresented.