What would the government do if there was suddenly superpowers.

Zoey

Mustachu
So I'm tired but I was thinking about how the government would handle the sudden appearance of superpowers and well I wanted to ask y'all what you think.

I think the government would go full martial law guns blazing.

What do you think.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Lack of details. What kind of superpower, my friend? Terrestrial? Extraterrestial? From the future? Where is there territory? And what is a sudden appereance?

And guns blazing? Are you an American?

Zoey

Mustachu
Lack of details. What kind of superpower, my friend? Terrestrial? Extraterrestial? From the future? Where is there territory? And what is a sudden appereance?

And guns blazing? Are you an American?
By superpowers I was referring to my hero academia type super powers.
Sorry I should have clarified.

And yes I'm from American and most of us are pretty trigger happy. If people suddenly gained superpowers most people would probably go for the guns first.

Edit: and by suddenly I mean if lets say a shit ton of people gained superpowers over night. and for convenience they all have a basic understanding of their power.

Edit 2: I'm basically asking how you think the government would handle people having superpowers. hope that clears things up.

Last edited:

Suryae

Dismembered
We would make a religion about it and all world governments will become theocracy of some kind.

Assurbanipal_II

By superpowers I was referring to my hero academia type super powers.
Sorry I should have clarified.

And yes I'm from American and most of us are pretty trigger happy. If people suddenly gained superpowers most people would probably go for the guns first.

Edit: and by suddenly I mean if lets say a shit ton of people gained superpowers over night. and for convenience they all have a basic understanding of their power.

Edit 2: I'm basically asking how you think the government would handle people having superpowers. hope that clears things up.

Ah, sorry, was thinking about political superpowers. :blob_reach:

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Honestly, depending on the power, versatility, and number of people with powers, it could either be settled easily, or launch us into the apocalypse. The worst thing about having so many super powers is that there is always someone who can do something that you can't properly defend against.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Depends on the escalation on how powered people are discovered I guess. If it's slow and only appears in certain pockets of the population, I wouldn't be surprised if these superpowered people would be caught or killed on sight. Mob mentality might cause certain government bodies to step up and either protect these individuals or, as I said, kill them in the name of 'safety.' That's a very general theory of how it might happen though.

If the escalation of their appearance is fast, I think it would make much more sense if these super-powered individuals would take it upon themselves to be tyrants and hold power on their own. Of course, there's the moral high ground and I'm not saying that everyone is gonna go full bad guy but power corrupts. And, if superpowers spread wholesale, it wouldn't be odd to have people high-up in the government food chain to take matters into their hands and, yes, order martial law. For the 'greater good' of course. It'll be chaotic but if it ends up in total bloodshed, those with more firepower end up being winners. That's where the government has its advantage. Their military know-how alone could end up giving them a foothold quickly.

In the end, all this is speculation. I for one don't know how things would really pan out.

Bloodysin28

Depends on t powerful who is to sAy that government personal aren't the ones that get the most op power, realistically ain't heroes happening cause that shit is idealistic bullshit,if the powers are like unkillable eldrith horror god level, then world becomes a cultivation novel, either way ain't no way shit gonna end peacefully,also fun fact a shit ton of countries hate the USA so who is to say the most op superpower doesn't end up on some nihilist or anarchist, either way I'd just see the world burn.

Bloodysin28

Depends on t powerful who is to sAy that government personal aren't the ones that get the most op power, realistically ain't heroes happening cause that shit is idealistic bullshit,if the powers are like unkillable eldrith horror god level, then world becomes a cultivation novel, either way ain't no way shit gonna end peacefully,also fun fact a shit ton of countries hate the USA so who is to say the most op superpower doesn't end up on some nihilist or anarchist, either way I'd just see the world burn

Arkus86

I feel The Oscillation and Kammi Kettu have made a believeable guess at this. Massive PR campaign by anyone trying to ride the wave as the status quo changes and governments trying to control the situation and superpowered people, by any means necessary. Human experimentation is also not out of the question.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
Didn't the X-Men somewhat address this? Segregation, experimentation, exploitation (on all sides). Pretty obvious what would happen, given our own history of hording and abusing our own 'powers'.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So I'm tired but I was thinking about how the government would handle the sudden appearance of superpowers and well I wanted to ask y'all what you think.

I think the government would go full martial law guns blazing.

What do you think.
First there would be chaos, but eventually some would did with government to establish order again and with that backing experiments would ne in order to understand these powered individuals on deeper level, possibly trying to recreate whatever gave them the powers and create their own soldiers

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
I think it would depend heavily on how many people got superpowers, and the scale of those superpowers. If everyone got them, but they were just convenience level superpowers, there would probably be a tonne of research done into them, but things would just go back to practically how they were before.

If there were few people who got superpowers, but they were very strong, there would probably be a lot of fear and distrust of them from the general populace. Some of them would probably overthrow their governments (or try to), and jobs like bouncers, security and policeman would suddenly become incredibly dangerous (much more than they are already, that is) because any criminal or person causing a disruption could possibly have the capability to level the building. It might even become a shoot first, ask questions later policy. Again, lots of research done, but there would likely be few willing subjects, and experimenting on/researching into unwilling subjects would be incredibly dangerous.

If everyone got a superpower and the power of the powers varies wildly, there would probably be major chaos. I think most governments would collapse unless they were lucky enough to get some truly high-powered individuals on their side. I think it would take at least a decade, maybe even as much as a century before the world got back to an ordered state, if ever.

keitaro-sempai

The First Will's Origin
Like any other supernatural thing, it would depend.
Boku no Hero Academy is a take on it. While the main story goes with a pretty stable world, don't forget MC and company are 4th generation, so has been like a century to adapt to that point, and they have 4/5 of ppl with powers, so isn't like havin a power would make you outstanding. Deku was because he didn't had a power so there you have it.
Actually the numbers are a big factor. If there's few empowered maybe the public won't even get to know about it
Real shit happens if the number of Superpowered are neither too big nor too small, so if you wanna write a not too fucked up world for a story like that, keep the % lower than 0.01% or higher than 10%

Assurbanipal_II

Throwing my two cents again. As far as military application - to be honest, I don't know anything about the power level Hero Academy - , there usefulness on the actual battlefield would be underwhelming to say the least. I would prefer in any case a Bradely with a Bushmaster and a TOW or a MBT.

TheLovelyFire

The government would try to hide the fact that there is people with power if it not widespread yet by altering the event where people with power are intentionally involved in with logical conclusion. For instance if someone with the ability about fire caused a plane to catch on fire midair, the public would be lead to believe it due to faulty wiring. Otherwise they would do ad campaign and stuff like that to denounce people with power as a immediate threat to the people well being. Then force those with power to be on some sort of registry that shows who have power and have not. And then that would give the police more incentive to use lethal force more than those who have non-powers.

Last edited: