What would the government do if there was suddenly superpowers.

mrsimple

Writer
Jus' about everyone would try to go on with their day and commit themselves to ignore the change.

Dun believe me? It would be a lot like driving down the street and spotting a side show or traffic accident. Neat or terrible, but I've got to clock-in in ten minutes.

Yep... Everyone wants to continue on with their life. You go on, suggest somethin' that'll take their livelihood, turn it sideways or on its head. I'm warnin' ya, ya bettah watch out. A lot time and money, sweat and blood, had been invested into it. No sane person is willing to throw away their normalcy for this bullshit. Why risk it? Ya gonna wage a war or involve yourself with these freaks? Why? It's common sense to avoid danger. It's your life. If there is an iota of dare in ya, then flock to the banners that have risen before this chaos and listen to their order. Stay in line and do what yer told. It is a lot less messy when ya dun have independents running around with their own sense of authority.

The ones with power will use it. Dun have it? Bugger off.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Depends. If they're too weak or too few, they'll be caught, enslaved, dissected, all that good stuff.

If they're strong or many, then you probably get a bunch of superpowered villains running around ruling locations with the world's government usurped.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
either it turns into Ajin or our economy collapses thanks to OP idiots running the country (depending on what their abilities are)

Daitengu

Deny them legal protections based off of not being human. Seize them and their families. All the testing including breeding. Make secret super soldiers to take over the world.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Throwing my two cents again. As far as military application - to be honest, I don't know anything about the power level Hero Academy - , there usefulness on the actual battlefield would be underwhelming to say the least. I would prefer in any case a Bradely with a Bushmaster and a TOW or a MBT.
I mean, you keep saying that, but it depends entirely on the strength of the superpower and exactly what it was. Any trained soldier with a gun is going to be more effective than a guy who can just throw fireballs around, but a guy who can teleport anywhere in the world would be much more effective than any soldier, squad or vehicle in assassination, sabotage and stealing supplies.
And it's not like the only powers that would be useful in military are combat powers. The ability to generate forcefields or the ability to heal others would also have significant benefits on the battlefield, again depending on the strength of those abilities.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I mean, you keep saying that, but it depends entirely on the strength of the superpower and exactly what it was. Any trained soldier with a gun is going to be more effective than a guy who can just throw fireballs around, but a guy who can teleport anywhere in the world would be much more effective than any soldier, squad or vehicle in assassination, sabotage and stealing supplies.
And it's not like the only powers that would be useful in military are combat powers. The ability to generate forcefields or the ability to heal others would also have significant benefits on the battlefield, again depending on the strength of those abilities.

Meh, teleportation and assassination are overrated anyways. The problem on the battlefield is not to get there, but to know where the enemy actually is. The Millennium challenge is a good example for this. Force fields? Maybe, but can they withstand a bombardment? And healing? By the time healing comes into play, the battle is already won by sheer attrition.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Meh, teleportation and assassination are overrated anyways. The problem on the battlefield is not to get there, but to know where the enemy actually is. The Millennium challenge is a good example for this. Force fields? Maybe, but can they withstand a bombardment? And healing? By the time healing comes into play, the battle is already won by sheer attrition.
Depends on the battlefield, and assassination isn't overrated. How is the enemy supposed to react if you've taken out their entire leadership? Chances are, there won't be anyone willing to step in and take up the mantle. Often enough, you know where the enemy leader is, you just can't get there.
And really? Can forcefields withstand a bombardment? Is that really your counter here? After I emphasised multiple times that how effective they would be on the battlefield is relative to the strength of the power? Obviously a forcefield that can't block a bullet would be totally useless in a battle. Of course it wouldn't. So, for the sake of making you understand what I'm trying to say here, I'll be patently blunt: If a guy could make a forcefield that could block a nuke point-blank with no side-effects, he would be damn useful.

And it seems you don't understand attrition. Attrition tactics take time. Attrition, by definition, takes time! You know what doesn't take time? Instant, supernatural healing! A lot of people die on the battlefield, yes, taken out in an instant with a variety of weapons, but a lot more are just injured. Some fatally so, but if they could be healed instantly, they could all just get back up and go back to fighting.

You're trying to rule out every single superpower, including ones capable of altering reality on a universal scale, with the argument that a guy who can only bend a spoon won't be useful.

Assurbanipal_II

Depends on the battlefield, and assassination isn't overrated. How is the enemy supposed to react if you've taken out their entire leadership? Chances are, there won't be anyone willing to step in and take up the mantle. Often enough, you know where the enemy leader is, you just can't get there.
And really? Can forcefields withstand a bombardment? Is that really your counter here? After I emphasised multiple times that how effective they would be on the battlefield is relative to the strength of the power? Obviously a forcefield that can't block a bullet would be totally useless in a battle. Of course it wouldn't. So, for the sake of making you understand what I'm trying to say here, I'll be patently blunt: If a guy could make a forcefield that could block a nuke point-blank with no side-effects, he would be damn useful.

And it seems you don't understand attrition. Attrition tactics take time. Attrition, by definition, takes time! You know what doesn't take time? Instant, supernatural healing! A lot of people die on the battlefield, yes, taken out in an instant with a variety of weapons, but a lot more are just injured. Some fatally so, but if they could be healed instantly, they could all just get back up and go back to fighting.

You're trying to rule out every single superpower, including ones capable of altering reality on a universal scale, with the argument that a guy who can only bend a spoon won't be useful.

Lol, hear my friend. Attrition at the Fulda gap was estimated 25% when the Soviets tank would have been rolling through Germany back then! Entire companies wiped out in matter of hours, entire division disappearing within days at the point of contact! Don't ever think in your ignorance that the schoolkids wars the US is currently fighting reflects in any way true conventional warfare!

"How is the enemy supposed to react if you've taken out their entire leadership?" Didn't work against the Taliban today, didn't work against the Germans in WWII. And how do I magically find their leadership? Anyway, military usage of superpowers is always proclaimed by people who have surprisingly little idea about what they are talking.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Lol, hear my friend. Attrition at the Fulda gap was estimated 25% when the Soviets tank would have been rolling through Germany back then!
And the relevance of that to this discussion is what, exactly?
Entire companies wiped out in matter of hours, entire division disappearing within days at the point of contact!
Sounds like a blitzkrieg to me, not attrition.
Don't ever think in your ignorance that the schoolkids wars the US is currently fighting reflects in any way true conventional warfare!
You're the one referencing that, not me. It's also irrelevant.
"How is the enemy supposed to react if you've taken out their entire leadership?" Didn't work against the Taliban today, didn't work against the Germans in WWII.
That would be because a large proportion of the higher ups, if not also the rank soldiers, had a fanatical belief in their cause. That's not always the case.
And how do I magically find their leadership?
Google. It can get you the identities of every world leader, and the residences of some of them. You can also do the same with military leaders, and other people of import. I would've thought you'd know how to use google by now, it's only been around for about two decades. Granted, it may not give you their location at any given moment, but since we're talking about it, oh look, a guy with the ability to know the current location of anyone whose face he's thinking of!
Anyway, military usage of superpowers is always proclaimed by people who have surprisingly little idea about what they are talking.
And military superiority over superpowers is only proclaimed by people who don't have an iota of common sense. You can have a million men with a million guns and a million fighter jets and tanks supporting them, and it won't be enough to take down a single man who can kill them all with a snap of his fingers.
Military usage of superpowers, if they existed, would be fact. If history has taught us anything, it's that nations in conflict will find, develop and exploit any advantage they can find, whether that be political, personnel or technology. The advent of black powder catapulted warfare into a different age. The advent of superpowers would do it again.

Regardless, since I don't want to waste my time arguing with you further, good day and good bye.

BenJepheneT

Any trained soldier with a gun is going to be more effective than a guy who can just throw fireballs around, but a guy who can teleport anywhere in the world would be much more effective than any soldier, squad or vehicle in assassination, sabotage and stealing supplies.
The ability to generate forcefields or the ability to heal others would also have significant benefits on the battlefield, again depending on the strength of those abilities.
If a guy could make a forcefield that could block a nuke point-blank with no side-effects, he would be damn useful.
You can have a million men with a million guns and a million fighter jets and tanks supporting them, and it won't be enough to take down a single man who can kill them all with a snap of his fingers.
im big dumb but from what im getting here, if you got the right superpower at the right moment you basically won the war. an army with a guy with God's Eye is no match for a militia group with a guy that has invisibility powers.

Assurbanipal_II

Sounds like a blitzkrieg to me, not attrition.

Because you have no idea what attrition is apparently. Attrition has inherently nothing to do with long term.

That would be because a large proportion of the higher ups, if not also the rank soldiers, had a fanatical belief in their cause. That's not always the case.

Idem, never heard about "Führung von Vorne" and "Führung mit Auftrag".

Google. It can get you the identities of every world leader, and the residences of some of them. You can also do the same with military leaders, and other people of import. I would've thought you'd know how to use google by now, it's only been around for about two decades. Granted, it may not give you their location at any given moment, but since we're talking about it, oh look, a guy with the ability to know the current location of anyone whose face he's thinking of!

Goofle? Wow, are you an idiot, or what? Tell me where is EUCOM right now? Physically? And your other answer is magic? Sure, if you can use magic then you don't have any problems. :blob_evil_two:

And military superiority over superpowers is only proclaimed by people who don't have an iota of common sense. You can have a million men with a million guns and a million fighter jets and tanks supporting them, and it won't be enough to take down a single man who can kill them all with a snap of his fingers.
Military usage of superpowers, if they existed, would be fact. If history has taught us anything, it's that nations in conflict will find, develop and exploit any advantage they can find, whether that be political, personnel or technology. The advent of black powder catapulted warfare into a different age. The advent of superpowers would do it again.

A one trick pony force are they. Unless you give them godlike powers and make any form of realism and military structures a priori senseless, then their worth will be limited. Otherwise, why do you still have a military then if you can use bullshit ex machina?

aplomadofalcon

Ight, so I've been thinking about this for a fat second. first of all issues wouldn't be suddenly pushed to the back because of superpowers, instead these issues would be reinforced with superpowers such as with climate change where say people would start trying to plants tree with super powers an example being someone got the power to help plants grow faster so they would try to use this power to help with issue they feel for (in this case climate change), but with all advances and new ideas there will be apprehension and cautiousness like one would see with Gmo's, Questions would be asked like "is this safe" and "what are the side effects" leading into, of course, massive studies of all things superpowers. Now as is inevitable this would cause a surge of feelings and cultural revolutions/revolts of all kinds from all sorts of groups with some getting their whole world view flipped, and others taking it as some sort of sign like say basically every religion ever whether its a sign of the end the beginning or something else entirely, There will also be those who take it in stride and use it to the fullest, Those that ignore it and move on, and Those that try to deny for whatever reason they do so (ah right can't forget eight graders.(no but really imagine try to take case of a delusional eight graders with actual superpowers.)).
Alright now that a little bit of that other stuff is out of way (since I mean how am I supposed to cover every single type of person and their groups and interactions with other groups like come on.) ONTO GOVERNMENT THINGYS, so I saw some posts about how they would try to suppress and try to do ect ect, but while that might happen somewhere Nah any government that suppresses this is falling behind I mean can you imagine the U.S.A. or any government for that matter not taking advantage of a situation to grow in influence and power? come on while X-man esque things might have happen like a hundred or 200 years ago or something THIS is 2019 YAHAHAHHH, ehem of course there would be a world meeting, some countries might try to close their borders temporarily or permanently, but regardless of differing reactions every government would see this as an opportunity and a threat, big countries like China, Russia, and The U.S.A. could and would use this chance to seize power in smaller countries by offering protection, support, or any kind of sanctuary.

Additionally previously existing ties and alliances would grow stronger like the European union but nations like Russia might try to break off for its own power, however, as said previously big nation would try to gain control/influence in smaller countries, but this isn't limited to just large countries, for certain many African countries would try to seize control of neighbors, but I'm truthfully not well versed in Africa's state of affairs so I cant comment much on this other then many governments are corrupt and chad might go under. of course can't forget about those ongoing wars amiright ehhhh? of course with the emergence of superpowers (wow haven't mentioned superpowers in a while) There would most likely (based on my opinion) be a withdrawal of troops to more defensive home ground positions (as in to the countries they are deployed in rather then going home) to both help with policing and defending against other forces, and an armistice, however, terrorist groups would likely not wait for consolidation and use this as a chance whether this is using the powers they gained or the lapse in fighting to make their move on positions, spreading terror, and targeting governments all and all it would be a little like when the European powers found America more of a rush for opportunity then suppressing superpowers (well unlike the America's the domain of superpowers wouldn't really have previous inhabitants to walk over for such opportunity tho history does repeat itself).

Wow this post has been really unsuperpowery for a post on superpowers so I guess ill try to go into that now. Well it really would depend on the potency of the superpowers but I'm going to go ahead and say its more growth superpowers where they get stronger as you use them like a muscle rather then waking up with the power to blow up the moon with a laser, so while the majority of the population received superpowers some did not and no matter how obvious it is there will be those who deny its existence tho they either gotta be dum dum or not wanting to face the truth. Onto Governments depending on the government say the difference between the Chinese and U.S. there would of course be a difference of how the situation is handled but for one there would be information gathering and registering of powers but well it wont be all that violent unless the person with the power went or is crazy, but of course a new department would be assembled to deal with superpowers I can't say for sure how long it would take and probably would not be created immediately rather the other departments sharing the work load until the department is created which will depending on how quickly superpowers are realized be created quite rapidly.

The President (Basing this on the U.S.) would make a speech addressing the nation intended to calm the populace (The creation of a new department could also be publicly announced as another way of letting the citizens know things are being done.) The speech could be something along the lines of "Don't be worried the future is uncertain but holds opportunity we are working on the situation bla bla bla" you get the idea, research will be launched into the subject of superpowers but im getting kinda tired so imma wrap this up.

Over all There would be cultural upheavals, political maneuverings, religious frenzies, eight graders running wild, and me hopefully getting shapeshifting and some sort of ability that lets me fulfil my dream of reading upside down in the air and underwater.
Ps. wow this is long
PPs. would recommend Kammi Kettu Its kinda related but really i just want to recommend it
PPPs. cyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaa.
PPPPs. That's a lot of P's *cough* i just realized the distinct lack of blobs soo imma add a lot in this next Ps.
PPPPPs. :blob_aww::blob_cookie::blob_drool::blob_nom::blob_reach::blob_sir::blob_party::sweat_smile::blob_melt::blob_evil_two::blob_evil::blob_dizzy:
PPPPPPs. ^ my last braincells after finishing this post.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Because you have no idea what attrition is apparently. Attrition has inherently nothing to do with long term.

Idem, never heard about "Führung von Vorne" and "Führung mit Auftrag".

Goofle? Wow, are you an idiot, or what? Tell me where is EUCOM right now? Physically? And your other answer is magic? Sure, if you can use magic then you don't have any problems. :blob_evil_two:

A one trick pony force are they. Unless you give them godlike powers and make any form of realism and military structures a priori senseless, then their worth will be limited. Otherwise, why do you still have a military then if you can use bullshit ex machina?

Hey guys make a new thread and argue this, really. This is actually really engaging to read. Might be a tad bit toxic but damn is it entertaining.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
I think the government would make biometric data necessary. DNA maybe, tracking for ex-criminals, a lot of personal information requests, and restrictions would be imposed. People would probably lose a lot of freedom and new laws would need to be enacted about the usage of super powers in public spaces.

Assurbanipal_II

Hey guys make a new thread and argue this, really. This is actually really engaging to read. Might be a tad bit toxic but damn is it entertaining.

Toxic? This is child friendly compared to other less civilised discussions I already had.

Llamadragon

But imagine the worst case scenario. Only leaders get superpowers. The more followers they have, the stronger their powers. So, basically everyone in the Senate gets powers, with Donald Trump able to whoop everybody's butts. Government kills itself in a war between Democrats and republicans, and whomever is the biggest current social media influencer becomes the next anarchy president.