What would you call a piece of writing that is more of a brainstorm but complete enough to be read by itself?

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Before I begin writing the rough drafts, I brainstorm and take notes. I lay out the notes and plan out what I want for the story. I even draw concept drawings of whatever I need at this stage. I then write a chunk of the story based on the notes I have made. It may or may not be the completed work. It may just be just parts of it. I do this to get feedback from others before I start writing the actual rough drafts. This chunk is not going to be used in the story proper, it is just to get feedback. It will be stashed away and only the feedback will be used to write the actual rough drafts and then proceed to write the story.

I kept using the word 'manuscript' but this may not be the correct term. I want to use excerpt, but that also doesn't feel right. Perhaps a passage, a brainstorming rough, document even? I have no idea what to call this and I need a term because people keep thinking it is the final version. I need a word that describes that it is not the final product and it's going to be replaced based on feedback.

Jemini

Before I begin writing the rough drafts, I brainstorm and take notes. I lay out the notes and plan out what I want for the story. I even draw concept drawings of whatever I need at this stage. I then write a chunk of the story based on the notes I have made. It may or may not be the completed work. It may just be just parts of it. I do this to get feedback from others before I start writing the actual rough drafts. This chunk is not going to be used in the story proper, it is just to get feedback. It will be stashed away and only the feedback will be used to write the actual rough drafts and then proceed to write the story.

I kept using the word 'manuscript' but this may not be the correct term. I want to use excerpt, but that also doesn't feel right. Perhaps a passage, a brainstorming rough, document even? I have no idea what to call this and I need a term because people keep thinking it is the final version. I need a word that describes that it is not the final product and it's going to be replaced based on feedback.

I will point out, "manuscript" is DEFINITELY not the right word. A manuscript is more or less the half-way point in your journey to producing a traditionally published work. It's what you send to a literary agent, and it is supposed to be a complete 80,000 - 110,000 word story that is edited and cleaned up to the best level that you can manage on your own in order to impress the agent you are pitching it to.

After the agent accepts it, it will be sent to a professional editor and you will go in for another very serious round of editing. However, a manuscript is a pretty serious and developed piece of work none the less. You have gone through at least 5-10 or so drafts before you reach the level of a manuscript.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
I'd called them Brain dump paper, cus that is well I dump all of my idea and stuff on it, and them bring out the thumbtacks and strings

Underload

It's a Pain in the ass.
It's not presentable, but you are already halfway there.

Mechaphobic

MEME1.jpg

I foresee a situation like this.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Looks like draft seems to be the most common answer people are gravitating here. That does sound what it is, but it may not actually be complete at times while a draft does sound like it. But I guess so far it's the best way to describe what I have in mind.