What would you consider to be the epitome of the Japanese reincarnation/transmigration MC?

Yiphen

Chaotic Lil' Demon
What I've got so far:

Standard MC:
Black hair
Coincidentally able to master anything and everything
Fan-service magnet
Has to "defeat" the demon king
Can cook a few Japanese things which just so happen to be the absolute pinnacle of the culinary arts (KIdran)
Cardboard personality (flucket)
A casual knowledge of either agriculture or engineering for no apparent reason (flucket + Vaerama)
Backstory is a teenage bullying victim or a middle-aged reclusive weeb. Or both (xane)
There's a goddamn goddess (flucket)
Virgin (Thor)
Slaves and borderline rape scenes, if it's tagged ecchi (DragonMage18)

Last edited:

Kldran

I'd say they aren't always good at cooking, it's just that they always know at least a few Japanese recipes, and these recipes are always way better than anything the locals can make. They also have a love of rice, and will make finding or making soysauce into a major mission in their life, if they aren't able to achieve it quickly.

xane

There's 2 options for being a peak JP Transmigrator MC.

An average high school boy who has a history of being bullied and/or reclusive
or
An older man (30-50) with a wealth of experience reborn as a child with poor social skills and chuuni tendencies.

Black hair, modern knowledge locals would never dream of, harem magnet, extreme Japanese culinary bias are all obligatory.

Kldran

Though, I think the more stereotypical summoning method now would be a head-on collision with a truck.
I am rather fond of trucks:
I found myself staring at my bed. There was a truck on it. It appeared to have crashed in through the window. I think I could see an arm sticking out from under it. It looked like my arm.

“Damnit another one.” A strange voice is heard. When I turn to look, I find myself looking at an empty black robe, and a scythe.

“Are you a reaper?”

“Yup. You’re dead. Sorry about that. You aren’t actually supposed to be dead yet.”

“I was wondering about that. This is the 30th floor of my apartment building.”

“Yeah. Some of the gods are a little too fond of drinking and gambling, and… well… shit like this happens.”

Thor

What I've come up with so far:

Standard MC:
Black hair
Fan-service magnet
Can cook a few Japanese things which just so happen to be the absolute pinnacle of the culinary arts (KIdran)
A casual knowledge of either agriculture or chemistry (flucket)
Backstory is a teenage bullying victim or a middle-aged reclusive weeb. Or both (xane)

You forgot something important,

They are all virgins, doesnt matter if they died as high-schooler or your average sales-man, they are all virgins, without an exception. They all transmigrate or reincarnate without the ability to even talk to a girl.

Dont misunderstand, theres nothing wrong with being a virgin or being a well of anxiety but jp authors go out of their way to make a point out of it :P

But why...?

Kldran

That plane crash in the news a few months ago? Truck, right into the turbines.
I feel like, if I want to top this, I have to send a truck to the moon... is that how we get Neil Armstrong into an isekai?... actually, I feel like that would make the world where such a thing could happen more interesting than wherever he got sent. A story about NASA trying to understand how a truck just hit an astronaut on the moon. Or, alternately:

"The probe to the dark side of the moon has sent back some disturbing pictures sir."

"What? What could be so disturbing on the dark side of the moon?"

"There's a truck. A Ford 50 to be precise. It... it looks like it crashed into the dark side of the moon, and there's a dead body that it seems to have hit."

"... you're right, that is disturbing. You are sure these pictures haven't been tampered with?"

"Yes sir. Absolutely sure."

The entire story would then be about trying to figure out why there's a truck and a dead body on the moon, when no one has even landed on the moon yet (story starting before the first landing, when they were still just taking pictures.)
1589267612845.png

to me, this mc is the most japanese of all japanese isekai mc's

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
The chinese are known for open plagiarism. The japanese modify stuff and then claim those as their own.

Transmigration motifs have been around for a long time, but when the japanese put their stamp on it, people now call it isekai even when it's not a japanese story.

Cuisine. A lot of that isn't even truly japanese cuisine. There are also authors who seem to have been sniffing vetsin half their lifetimes that they only describe food in terms of umami. Coz it's yet another trending term.

Many people nowadays have to use web portals to look up stuff, oftentimes things they learned before but already forgot. Some can't even do 2-digit mental multiplications. Are you honestly convinced that they are able to bring tech knowhow somehow when they get dimensionally displaced?

Vaerama

Agricultural and chemistry know-how are both great and all, but for me where they really overrepresent ‘modern’ knowledge is in engineering and the medical field. Maybe it’s fine that the reincarnated person remembers something like scurvy as it compares with ‘a disease suffered by sailors’... but for them to know the *symptoms* of it is so unbelievable to me.

The worst offender by far, however... has to be the water pump. A person does not just happen to surf Wikipedia out of aimless interest and somehow memorize not only it’s function, but how to replicate every one of its parts with stone-age tech...

Chinese transmigrators do the same stuff too, at least the MC in ‘release that witch’ has to test things out from their vague memory, and ‘just happened’ to equipped with the right background for it... but there are just too many Japanese middle/highschoolers who spent a few hours watching Japanese television and therefore know how to build some amazing device that is going to wow the otherworlders.

Kldran

Water pumps are actually one of the easiest "modern" inventions to make. It's a piston. I'd expect anyone that has spent time studying cars and combustion engines, to be able to figure out how to make a water pump. Admittedly, I grew up in American suburbia, where people were pretty obsessed with cars. I have no idea how common that sort of knowledge is in Japan.

A water pump is a piston, two valves, and some pipe. That's it.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

If half or more of your classmates in highschool know how to play the guitar, with a handful being really good at it and also only a handful having no interest or knowhow whatsoever, then you'd think it's normal to know how to play guitars.

Then, you make an online friend, an emo girl, who later raves about some emo guy celebrity being talented because he can play a guitar while barely twenty. You'd be thinking, what's the big deal about that?

No, I don't think water pump construction is common stock knowledge.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
the world will always, ALWAYS somehow end up a fantasy world. never once had I seen someone reincarnated into a cyberpunk universe, or a twisted reality, or any of that sort. it's always Tolkien esque with none of the charm

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I am rather fond of trucks:
I found myself staring at my bed. There was a truck on it. It appeared to have crashed in through the window. I think I could see an arm sticking out from under it. It looked like my arm.

“Damnit another one.” A strange voice is heard. When I turn to look, I find myself looking at an empty black robe, and a scythe.

“Are you a reaper?”

“Yup. You’re dead. Sorry about that. You aren’t actually supposed to be dead yet.”

“I was wondering about that. This is the 30th floor of my apartment building.”

“Yeah. Some of the gods are a little too fond of drinking and gambling, and… well… shit like this happens.”
If I may:

Maybe being incorporeal was what kept me calm despite looking at the tragic ground meat paste that had been me just five minutes ago. Calm enough that, with nothing more than mild curiosity, I'm able to ask, "So what happens now?" I pause, glancing at the laptop that had been sent flying, ninja-star like into the far wall, carried by the violent inertia of the over-enthusiastic truck. "Will the gods maybe..."

The reaper sighed. "Look, just stop there. I know where you're going with this, and the answer is no. You really don't want that. Just move into the white light and make do."

"Seems a little unfair." I point out mildly.

"Unfair? Unfair? I'll tell you what's unfair;" The reaper begins to pace, looking like an overworked Starbucks employee on their first week of the job who just got asked to make a secret-menu frappeccino. "What's unfair is me, tryna make myself a breakfast bagel only to get a call that somewhere in the world at 2 A.M. local time, the powers-that-be got a little too into a game of high stakes strip Monopoly, and now I have to collect a soul that isn't meant to die for another three years-"

"Three years?" I feel shocked. I'm not a health buff, but I'm young and fit enough that that seems a little immediate.

"Don't look at me like that, what do you think happens when your national leader fires the head of the department of health a few months before a worldwide pandemic -- hey, don't get me off track. Anyway, the point is, I could pull some strings, but you don't want that. Do you know how many truck related deaths there have been in the past few years? That plane crash in the news a few months ago? Truck, right into the turbines. We just don't have the energy or resources to keep doing this." The reaper sighs, leaning against their scythe tiredly. "We had to implement a whole new system."

"What sort of system?" Probably if I still had a brain with functioning chemicals and electrons, I'd feel excitement, but at the moment I just feel an appropriately morbid sense of inquisitiveness.

"Battle royale." The figure admitted bluntly.

"Like Fortnite?"

"...fucking Fortnite?!! Fortnite? What kind of weeb are you, motherf- released 2000, director Fukasaku Kinji, based on the novel-"

I regretted my words immediately. Who knew I'd get a weeaboo reaper working my death.
:blob_aww: :blob_aww: :blob_aww:
Agricultural and chemistry know-how are both great and all, but for me where they really overrepresent ‘modern’ knowledge is in engineering and the medical field. Maybe it’s fine that the reincarnated person remembers something like scurvy as it compares with ‘a disease suffered by sailors’... but for them to know the *symptoms* of it is so unbelievable to me.

The worst offender by far, however... has to be the water pump. A person does not just happen to surf Wikipedia out of aimless interest and somehow memorize not only it’s function, but how to replicate every one of its parts with stone-age tech...

Chinese transmigrators do the same stuff too, at least the MC in ‘release that witch’ has to test things out from their vague memory, and ‘just happened’ to equipped with the right background for it... but there are just too many Japanese middle/highschoolers who spent a few hours watching Japanese television and therefore know how to build some amazing device that is going to wow the otherworlders.
Oh yeah, the scurvy thing is mindblowing! I can understand remembering the treatment because it is something that I learned in school, but... The symptoms? Absolutely not.
Water pumps are actually one of the easiest "modern" inventions to make. It's a piston. I'd expect anyone that has spent time studying cars and combustion engines, to be able to figure out how to make a water pump. Admittedly, I grew up in American suburbia, where people were pretty obsessed with cars. I have no idea how common that sort of knowledge is in Japan.

I have no idea how a piston works! \(^^)/

DragonMage18

What I've come up with so far:

Standard MC:
Black hair
Fan-service magnet
A casual knowledge of either agriculture or chemistry (flucket)
–Slaves!
–Beastpeople slave!
–Cute (female) beastpeople slave!
–Pretty (female) beastpeople slaves!
–Whatever slave with such beauty everyone want's to get her, going unnoticed until she falls in love with MC...
–Antisosial MC sudenly becomes a sosial god.
–Ohh, did i mention Slaves?
–Unnaturaly high growth speed.
–A system where people are unnaturaly unskilled.
–Even more slaves
–Kills humans/animals lefy and right wiyhout any reaction, right after arriving in the world. Not even having any change in their mental healt.
–Only hears Japanese even tho it's a diffrent world.

Tebix

–Slaves!
–Beastpeople slave!
–Cute (female) beastpeople slave!
–Pretty (female) beastpeople slaves!
–Whatever slave with such beauty everyone want's to get her, going unnoticed until she falls in love with MC...
–Ohh, did i mention Slaves?
–Unnaturaly high growth speed.
–A system where people are unnaturaly unskilled.
–Even more slaves
–Kills humans/animals lefy and right wiyhout any reaction, right after arriving in the world. Not even having any change in their mental healt.
–Only hears Japanese even tho it's a diffrent world.
Buying slaves bit still somehow against the institution of slavery.(with out doing anything against it either).

Vaerama

Right, their function is obvious enough, and ‘simple’, but many of the settings they land in only use metal for weapons/armor and cookware. Hell, the simplest part of that is the pipe, and unless their society already knows how to make pipes (and will be thus mostly unimpressed with your water pump): that’s an instant dead end for most people.

I’ve got welding stuff out here, and all kinds of modern equipment, but if you told me to make a pipe one day: I wouldn’t have the slightest idea where to begin. I’ve never made a pipe before, and even as obvious a thing as it is ‘cylindrical (doesn’t have to be cylindrical) shell of metal with only two openings: it would still take me days of iterating with each of the materials (do I hollow you out, do I melt you around an object and hope that when it cools it releases the ‘form’, what do I do with my waste-bits?)

Knowing how something as obvious as an *axe* works doesn’t mean a person also knows how to bind the head on (assuming they even could make the wedge in the first place) securely. If you find yourself in a random place, with no modern tools, and no ability to simply look up the things you’ve forgotten: very few people are going to be able to valve their pipes and secure a pistoling mechanism within them.

There are many simpler mechanisms that are also easier to make as well. If someone has already got a well: hooray, that was step one... but why not instead make them wooden wheel with some notches in the outside, a wooden pole to stick it on, a smaller wooden wheel, and attach a handle to the little one? It’s just as obvious a technique for the job, and it’s made of wood (far more plentiful and easily worked with than metals (which would be mad expensive in all likelihood)).

As we are tragically short of magical powers as a species, there are many reasons that human cities are usually founded on rivers. In ancient terms: don’t have to build even a well, which is great, because you don’t have shovels. In medieval terms ‘hey, this well only has to be a couple of lengths deep!’

If I isekaid near to a river where the first aqueduct is mine: I’d build a bathhouse. No piping necessary, and they wouldn’t have to step into a probably deep and fast flowing river just to have a rinse.

Next contribution: if they’re a transmigrated Japanese woman: they always know not only how to build soap/distill ‘essential oils’, but how to package it in roughly the necessary amounts. ‘How’d you get your hair so silky and shiny’ 😭

“Cold reading is a specialty of mine.”

Says the young Japanese gamer who last interacted with people in the real a decade ago. 😪

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

If half or more of your classmates in highschool know how to play the guitar, with a handful being really good at it and also only a handful having no interest or knowhow whatsoever, then you'd think it's normal to know how to play guitars.
You can be the world’s greatest guitar player, and if you arrive in a world with no guitars: what’re you gonna do, make one? 😅

Oh yeah, the scurvy thing is mindblowing! I can understand remembering the treatment because it is something that I learned in school, but... The symptoms? Absolutely not.
I know the bleeding gums, but if I was faced with a person from back then who had scurvy: I might well just think they had gingevitis (also very not good obviously, but I don’t think eating their veggies is gonna fix that one. Dental hygiene probably isn’t a common element in such a world... I much prefer my plastic monstrocities over any hair-bristle brush from an animal >__<)

On the same page as the slaves, the transmigrated protagonist almost always finds themselves in the upscale part of the city, and if the writers deign that the golden protagonist should interact with some starving person: they’re always a child, and will either be taken in by them, or start a cult in their name.

Or they’re child slaves, and they nonetheless join the MC’s harem (lord, I’m gonna be sick.)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
“Cold reading is a specialty of mine.”

Says the young Japanese gamer who last interacted with people in the real a decade ago. 😪
It's like the moment they see a "Status screen" or anything tangibly related to a HUD they immediately switch mind sets and go "yeah this is a game" and suddenly become a full Charisma build

I swear if you ever wanna train neets just convince them the world is just one big game of KOTOR and they will become the next Bill Gates you'll see