What would you do if you had to take care of a dying child

Acezhere

just a hypothetical question 😀🤨📸

Edit: the cause of death is radiation poisoning. A city was nuked

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
What's with all the edge? Are we at RR now?

I'd try to treat them like everybody else. Might be the best or worst you could do to them. (I know I'd be some melodramatic bitch about it, tho)
I was running a LARP once. I was RPing the NPC who turned to his two bodyguards, pointed at another PC and said, "Take him out to the car and take care of him." And the two players looked at each other, looked at me and said, "Are you sure?" And I said, "Of course I'm sure!" and then then took the other character out to their car, put him in the front seat, one of them got in the back, then they shot him in the back of the head.

I responded, "WHAT THE FUCK???"
And they said, "But you said, TAKE CARE OF HIM."

Sorry. but, that's what it means when anyone says it without context.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I would tell that child that he is a main character.

That was when my mom said to me when I was a child that was dying from a sickness one time and was in so much pain.

To be honest, I think she may had turned me into one....

Jemini

This isn't a hypothetical to me. That said, I'm not talking about my own child. I work in healthcare, and I've taken care of the sick and dying of all ages. Although, the only clients I've actually had on palliative care were seniors.

Given that background, it really wouldn't matter to me whether the person I was caring for was a senior, a child, or an adult in prime or midle-aged categories. In all cases, I would be professional about it and do my job.

(That said, I do think I might have a somewhat different reaction if it was a child dying of injuries inflicted by another. A disease is one thing, dealing with human evil done to another is a different matter entirely. This is why I don't work wound care. I really don't think I have the nerves to deal with it.)

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
Make-a-wish then dip. Already paying child support underaged, ain't no one gonna catch me slipping like that.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
What's wrong with y'all? It's normal to provide care for kids.
As I pointed out, the question is "take care of".

Look. Is this kid baby hitler?
Is the kid carrying Super Herpa-Sypha-COVID-Aids and patient Zero? if I let him live will millions die?
Is He plagued by Grandfather Nurgle who is trying to prevent the light from returning to the world?
Is the child destined to heal the dark crystal?
Is he my kid?
Is he my sister's kid?
Am I getting paid?
Am I at risk for catching what he has?

You want a different answer? OKAY.

I take my Spark Proto-Giant Half-giant Bloodline Titan/Gold Dragon/Vampire Erudite/Archivist/Eidoloncer and spam every healing spell known to man because I have access to every arcane and divine spell as well as 95% of every psionics power imaginable a full 4 levels before I should because the six bloodline levels I have stack on class features and my one level Eidoloncer has +1 caster level as a FEATURE, yes, I'm no longer a ghost, Im not buying any more levels Anyways!

That child is healed. His family is healed. I can cure every disease, HP of damage and status condition using sound as a carrier to extend the range of my magic. Oh. Did I mention I took one level of prestige bard and my musical instrument is the alpine horn with a range of 12 GODDAMN MILES.

Yeah. OH, since this is positive energy healing, I also do damage to undead. SO EVERY UNDEAD WITHIN 12 miles that isn't protected by a silence field is taking 120 points of damage a ROUND.

Everyone heals. Everyone is cured. No more poison. The land grows green and healthy. I am a god of healing and only at 8th level.

I follow up by flying into the air and surrounding myself with a healing field that extends 680 feet then go flying off doing a T-pose like FUCKIN' JESUS CHRIST.

That's what I do. You know why?

BECAUSE IN THE CONTEXT OF THE QUESTION, IT MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS ANY OTHER ANSWER.

"Take care of" has extremely negative connotations in our culture.
Deal with it.

Acezhere

As I pointed out, the question is "take care of".

Look. Is this kid baby hitler?
Is the kid carrying Super Herpa-Sypha-COVID-Aids and patient Zero? if I let him live will millions die?
Is He plagued by Grandfather Nurgle who is trying to prevent the light from returning to the world?
Is the child destined to heal the dark crystal?
Is he my kid?
Is he my sister's kid?
Am I getting paid?
Am I at risk for catching what he has?

You want a different answer? OKAY.

I take my Spark Proto-Giant Half-giant Bloodline Titan/Gold Dragon/Vampire Erudite/Archivist/Eidoloncer and spam every healing spell known to man because I have access to every arcane and divine spell as well as 95% of every psionics power imaginable a full 4 levels before I should because the six bloodline levels I have stack on class features and my one level Eidoloncer has +1 caster level as a FEATURE, yes, I'm no longer a ghost, Im not buying any more levels Anyways!

That child is healed. His family is healed. I can cure every disease, HP of damage and status condition using sound as a carrier to extend the range of my magic. Oh. Did I mention I took one level of prestige bard and my musical instrument is the alpine horn with a range of 12 GODDAMN MILES.

Yeah. OH, since this is positive energy healing, I also do damage to undead. SO EVERY UNDEAD WITHIN 12 miles that isn't protected by a silence field is taking 120 points of damage a ROUND.

Everyone heals. Everyone is cured. No more poison. The land grows green and healthy. I am a god of healing and only at 8th level.

I follow up by flying into the air and surrounding myself with a healing field that extends 680 feet then go flying off doing a T-pose like FUCKIN' JESUS CHRIST.

That's what I do. You know why?

BECAUSE IN THE CONTEXT OF THE QUESTION, IT MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS ANY OTHER ANSWER.

"Take care of" has extremely negative connotations in our culture.
Deal with it.
You are a very high IQ individual, comrade. Here, have a like.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If it was mine, I would hold it and cry a lot. If it wasn't mine, I would get as far away from it as possible because it could potentially poison me with the radiation as well. It would haunt me to some extent, but I'd tell myself I made the right choice.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
If it was one of the little mutants around my area then it gets chucked on the railway. Otherwise, if it's in no pain, make its last days as nice as poss. If there's pain I can't take away, then smother in sleep probably.
Although, no-one can truly know what they would do until they're in that situation.

Jemini

What's wrong with y'all? It's normal to provide care for kids.
Indeed. As informative as it is, given my field as mentioned above, to see the perspectives of someone who does not have a job that exposes them to this kind of stuff, I really do find the responses here rather disturbing.