Writing What's are some 'Creative Swearing'!? (Pretty much done!)

SourDaiDai

Simple spouting the word 'Fuck' and 'Shit' is unappealing in my eye, so drown me with some 'Fancy Cruses'!

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Fudgecake
Fiddlesticks
Fusrodah
Freaking Fishstick
Flying Fumbling Fairy

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
You look like you failed clown school because you were even a joke to the teachers.

I don't think it's possible for you to be more of an asshole right now.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
1578141552418.png

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I don't have a catalogue of alternatives for "fuck" and "shit" as I usually lay them barren and explicit, but I usually replace pussy with Pink Abalone just in case I feel like cussing so I wouldn't be called out by Church ladies prowling in the civilized wild.

FortySixtyFour

Moldy mildew mother of mouth muck!

Rely on your setting to bring the most out of your swearing. Say, for instance, you're writing a fantasy setting, and the demon God's name is Satir. Curses prevalent in the culture might then be "Begone, Satir-spawn slattern."

If you're writing a LitRPG system or VRMMO, words may be automagically censored by the game system to bleep over expletives--saavy gamers might go with lore-friendly curse alternatives like "What the pit are you on about, you blighted bog fart?" or "Shove off, ya cabbage-eating son of a sow."

Cursing is generally rooted in insults, mockery, and sick burns, so you could be writing a Xianxia cultivation fic or a contemporary drama and still find a ton of creative ones if you put yourself into your characters perspectives. Swearing is a great mannerism to work into your characterization, but you have to mind that you don't overuse actual swear words. Place them too often, and you'll desensitize your readers--then they won't have the narrative gravity and oomph you need from a well placed "Oh, shi--" sometimes.

Last edited:

Mejiro

Ideally, you want to work out what your cultures would find bad - if they generally have strong family and bloodline ties, then 'bastard' or anything that casts doubt on familial ties is going to carry a lot of weight. If being strong and skilled at fighting is important, then saying someone is weak, or hides behind others is deeply insulting. A mageocracy, run by the most skilled and wise wizards, is going to consider insulting someone's knowledge very insulting, while implying someone lacks physical strength is largely irrelevant, because anyone that's anyone can use magic instead, so being physically weak isn't very meaningful.

LimaBean

The goal of swearing is to not actually swear. Actual swears "fuck, shit, crap" are actually more of responses of surprise or pain. Like if you were to hit me with a bat, I would say "FUCK, WHY THE HELLING HELL HEMSWORTH DID YOU DO THAT???"

But if I were absolutely destroying someone by roasting them, you'd want to seem condescending without any curses. Like "Shut up, you stale chip."

Light_Novel_San

Intercourse yourself
Uncultured swine
Birdbrain
Your life is a joke
Fucktard (Fucker+bastard)
You call yourself a genius? Is that a new word for idiot?

Last edited: