Whats GL?

ScarletCore

I've been seeing this said everywhere. Is this another term for Girls Love? And what is girls love? Why is it so popular?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I've been seeing this said everywhere. Is this another term for Girls Love? And what is girls love? Why is it so popular?
As a popular and wise youtuber once succinctly summarised,

a: I will never watch Fate/Kaleid liner prisma Illya

b: It is lesbian lolis kissing.

a: I must watch it.

1633284123084.png

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
Everybody asks "what is GL", but never "How is GL"
GL is pretty fucking nice, thanks for asking.

Any novel that focuses around romance with two female counterparts. It is popular because differently from normal run of the mill romance that focuses on conquest and power moves, GL is generally more mellow and sucarosey enough to give you diabetes most often than not.
TL:DR Girls Love is Love between girls and people like it because they like cute stuff.

If you like a more smutty type of GL you can always check my novel with the red-eyed girl down below

Yati

GL = girls love or yuri. It indicates relationships between 2 females.
Why is it popular?
Cute is justice.
Yuri is cute.
So yuri is justice.

Taken from MAL​

Yuri anime are more than just girl on girl action!​

rei x mai yuri anime

Girls are said to be the most loving beings in existence, something that is true in real life and in anime. So what about girls who love other girls? Well that, my friends, is the definition of yuri anime. From just friends to more than friends.

"Yuri" refers to Japanese fiction dealing with romantic, sexual, and emotional relationships between females. It's one of the largest and most widely known genres in Japan, with influence across a wide spectrum of anime and manga. Many assume that these forms of media are pretty much just hentai works disguised as love stories, full of dirty jokes and fanservice. Although there are several yuri anime that perfectly fit that description, as a whole, the genre is actually one of the most complex and beautiful in our medium.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

Oh and right. I also have come across novels where there's love between 2 female characters but there's also a polyamorous relationship including male characters that is labeled GL because "technically it falls under the category, since it features a romantic relationship between 2 female characters" to which I answer bulshit, and you should write warnings in the descriptions/tags

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Oh and right. I also have come across novels where there's love between 2 female characters but there's also a polyamorous relationship including male characters that is labeled GL because "technically it falls under the category, since it features a romantic relationship between 2 female characters" to which I answer bulshit, and you should write warnings in the descriptions/tags
They want the juicy GL tag. The tag is pure gold. Nobody will shoot themselves into the foot.

MR.DANTE

I stopped reading novels with that tag after a while since 99% of them don't even try to have decent male characters and it become boring after a while, they are all the same and protrai the same message and have mostly the same plot, very few are well done

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Girls are said to be the most loving beings in existence, something that is true in real life and in anime.
Hah... What fictional girls have you met? Oh, wait, I see what you did there, ‘said’ to be.

If we’re being realistic and cutting the bullshit out of the equation, girls these days are actually some of the most venomous and spiteful creatures in existence rather than loving.

MR.DANTE

that was nicely phrased. it fits almost any genre.
ye, but at list sometimes i get surprised by other genres, I dont read pure gl like I dont read pure romance since its not my thing but the vast majority of gl fantasy you find around will basically have a copy paste for all the male characters and antagonists with some variation on the dialogues, and those ususualy are mediocre novels, good ones like Lament of the Fallen don't have this problem since the story and characters are well developed but its pretty rare to find something decent inside the genere especially if the gl is the focus, the good ones i know don't focus it on and don't have it in the tags, its still present but the story focus on the story, not on prising gl as the only good thing in the world like most of the story that have gl in the tag

SailusGebel

ye, but at list sometimes i get surprised by other genres, I dont read pure gl like I dont read pure romance since its not my thing but the vast majority of gl fantasy you find around will basically have a copy paste for all the male characters and antagonists with some variation on the dialogues, and those ususualy are mediocre novels, good ones like Lament of the Fallen don't have this problem since the story and characters are well developed but its pretty rare to find something decent inside the genere especially if the gl is the focus, the good ones i know don't focus it on and don't have it in the tags, its still present but the story focus on the story, not on prising gl as the only good thing in the world like most of the story that have gl in the tag
Xianxias are the same, as well as harems, isekais, lirpgs, and so on. GL is not the only unique genre that has a lot of copy-paste stories. Almost every genre, especially popular ones, is like that.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Hah... What fictional girls have you met? Oh, wait, I see what you did there, ‘said’ to be.

If we’re being realistic and cutting the bullshit out of the equation, girls these days are actually some of the most venomous and spiteful creatures in existence rather than loving.
I would say all humans, regardless of gender, tend to be spiteful.

It would probably be better to say that girls, like all humans, are not perfect. They have problems they can not fix, free will, emotions, people they hate, pain, they make mistakes, and they can be slobs.

“Girls are said to be the most loving beings in existence, something that is true in real life and in anime.”
Should be, “Girls, like most humans, can be the most loving, quiet, loud, smart, stupid, complex, and hateful beings. Something that is true in real life and in anime.”

MR.DANTE

Xianxias are the same, as well as harems, isekais, lirpgs, and so on. GL is not the only unique genre that has a lot of copy-paste stories. Almost every genre, especially popular ones, is like that.
ye tanks, I know that, its just that the average quality in gl tagged novels is especially low as far as I could tell, xianxia is about the same but isekais and litrpgs have more than few good ones even tho majority is mediocre at best, gl tagged novels are mediocre at best with the rare exeption that most if the time doesn't eve have the gl tag

ye tanks, I know that, its just that the average quality in gl tagged novels is especially low as far as I could tell, xianxia is about the same but isekais and litrpgs have more than few good ones even tho majority is mediocre at best, gl tagged novels are mediocre at best with the rare exeption that most if the time doesn't eve have the gl tag
honestly if you're clicking on a gl novel with the gb tag, you're setting yourself up for failure.

MR.DANTE

they don't realize how easy life is for them when the are young and become bitter when they face the world as adults, even tho its still easier for them in today world, just not as much as wen the were teens or in their 20s

ScarletCore

I would say all humans, regardless of gender, tend to be spiteful.

It would probably be better to say that girls, like all humans, are not perfect. They have problems they can not fix, free will, emotions, people they hate, pain, they make mistakes, and they can be slobs.

“Girls are said to be the most loving beings in existence, something that is true in real life and in anime.”
Should be, “Girls, like most humans, can be the most loving, quiet, loud, smart, stupid, complex, and hateful beings. Something that is true in real life and in anime.”
Being a girl, I can confidently say that I am the funniest, most beautiful, kindest, and humblest person I know.