Whats GL?

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Any novel that focuses around romance with two female counterparts. It is popular because differently from normal run of the mill romance that focuses on conquest and power moves, GL is generally more mellow and sucarosey enough to give you diabetes most often than not.
mm, damn is that spot on.

Oh and right. I also have come across novels where there's love between 2 female characters but there's also a polyamorous relationship including male characters that is labeled GL because "technically it falls under the category, since it features a romantic relationship between 2 female characters" to which I answer bulshit, and you should write warnings in the descriptions/tags
ah yes, those sorts of novels. those are quite some baity bait in my opinion. At least some of them add the bisexual protag so i can nope the F away when i see it. I aint interested in bisexual poly, just not my boogie

My novel has a lesbian girl, but that only comes in WAY later. How quickly do GL fans expect to see the tag come into the novel? Do they care more about the build-up relationship or the quick wish fulfillment?
depends. If the subplot tag is used, then i'm not fussed because i'm likely not reading the novel for the GL. If the main GL genre tag is used, well i generally expect GL to be a major part of the story and be known in some fashion within a reasonable amount of chapters as well as not involve any het unless the bisexual protag tag is used. In which case, i wouldnt be reading the novel anyway.
Using the GL tag as bait (or lazy tagging) is just something that drives me bonkers as a GL reader.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Oh and right. I also have come across novels where there's love between 2 female characters but there's also a polyamorous relationship including male characters that is labeled GL because "technically it falls under the category, since it features a romantic relationship between 2 female characters" to which I answer bulshit, and you should write warnings in the descriptions/tags
It is the correct usage though...
You have other tags like bisexual protagonist to realize this.
I'm personally not a fan of GL, but different people like different things.

Why would it not be popular?
Coz it just isnt? GL is a pretty hit or miss depending on the audience. NU for example has basically no GL presence (but the BL scene is thriving)
If the subplot tag is used
Subplot tag is for the side chars and not the main chars.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Girls being gay, that's all. And why it's so popular? Cause people love the gay shit.
What has this talk come to? I just asked what GL was :sweat_smile:
Welcome to the degenerates webnovel

Last edited:

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Coz it just isnt? GL is a pretty hit or miss depending on the audience. NU for example has basically no GL presence (but the BL scene is thriving)

Cause scribblehub has mostly male audience, and most males are heterosexual, which means they have a fetish for women. And that makes them enjoy works where hot women, also known as girls, are having sex with each other.

Meanwhile novel updates is dominated by fujoshi- that is heterosexual women- who just like heterosexual men love seeing objects of their attraction engage in hot, steamy "plowing"..... to quote the author of Mo Dao Zushi.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Meanwhile novel updates is dominated by fujoshi
Not really? They form a decent chunk of the audience, yes, but the majority of the readers are not part of that group. Besides, the GL scene on NU, however niche it is, easily has a ~50/50 male-female split. Majority of Males on NU dont read GL or BL so yeah, neither of your statements hold true.

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
NU for example has basically no GL
the entire reason i'm on scribbly in the first place was because i had read all the gl that was there at the time (wasn't that much better here at the time though)