Writing what's the appeal for shoujou/fujo/BL fans?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I apologize if I worded the title in a poor manner, but whatever you're thinking that I'm insinuating with this question, it's not that.

Sorry for making the first sentence bold as fuck, I just had to make sure no one misunderstands my question and gives an irrelevant answer.

See, what I mean by "appeal" is physical and troupe appeal.

To give an example, guys like big tiddies. Mommy milkers. Some like wide hips. Big asses. Perky tits. Cute face. Hair bangs over the face. Dark skinned. White, ethereal eyebrows. Open clothes. Swimsuits. Some may even prefer thick, chubby girls. Or shapely, slender chicks. Or a different, smaller body type (I'll leave that at that).

Not just that, we also have TROUPES. Like the yanderes, and the kuderes, and all the other -deres. A perverted chick. A cool woman. An innocent, country lass. A tomboy whose moe gap is that she's absolutely horrendous against sexual innuendos. A serious, studying girl who absolutely hates perverted stuff but her every insult just hits your masochistic buttons. Not just personality-wise, but the situational troupes too. Walking into a girl while she's bathing. A senior teasing you at a workplace. A gyaru making "gestures" at you. Trapped in a broom closet with a little creature of a girl (LEGALLY, OF COURSE). Accidentally groping tiddies and the girl embarrassingly says "I'm okay if it's you, tho". Some guys like to be cheated on, and we call them cucks. Yes, those do exist, unfortunately.

AND I'M GOING TO EXTEND THE BRANCH HERE.

I'm gonna go with the EXTENT of where the story's lewds go. some lads prefer a little sexy outfit here and there. some guys like big cleavage. some guys like straight up nudity with all the nipple slips. some guys would go as far as to say that it isn't a true smut manga if the characters do not fuck on the regular. some guys even consider it a fake smut if not even the TRAP characters get involved. only single relationships? no break-ups? ntr allowed? harems? cheating?

AND THE MCs TOO. Some like to be the scrawny, pasty nerd MC. Some the brave pervert. Some a Chad. Some a literal handsome know it all. Some just straight up inhuman.

Yes, this is what I meant by appeal.

And now my mission is to find out what presses the female buttons, in terms of manga troupes.

I've got no idea what you like. If you asked me a year ago I would've said muscles but that's not the case. It's like saying "guys only like big butts and breasts". That is not true. Some even detest that. so now I'm here as a diplomatic representative of one demographic to investigate about another.

What do you lasses like?

As far as my knowledge goes, some like the collarbone (???), or the pecs pushing against the shirt like tits do. bulges are something I've noticed too. What else is there? Broad shoulders? Backs? What about body types? Is there any thirst for fat boys? I know there's thirst for shotas; I just need to read the news to know about it. The hair? What hair do you lasses like? Long hair? Short hair? Fuzzy hair? Perms? Are there any love for bald heads? Sharp chin? Round cute chin? Handsome dimples? Freckles??? Shorter than you? Taller than you?

What's the personality like? Aloof? Considerate? (that's a classic) Soft? Cowardly? Hitler? A guy who switches from professional to unhinged if he gets drunk? A straight-up bad boy that triggers your maternal instincts? A delinquent whose moe gap is that he's shy on bed? A fatherly figure who cares about your health? A guy who has desires but holds himself back from it BUT you know about it and enjoy the wait? kabedons while he lifts your chin from above saying "you're mine, remember?" every time you talk to a different sex too intimately? Cute demon elf shota butler that serves you tea whenever you work an office job? A fiance pushing you down on bed as he asks for your hand in marriage before consummating said marriage in a heat of passion under the clear, night sky? having a kingdom of boy slaves working under big Mama? serving under a king as his maid? serving under the same king as a part of a HAREM of maids? serving in the same harem of maids but you know you're his personal favourite? serving under that same harem of maids but you know that he lies about you being his favourite and that he tells everyone else the same thing but you enjoy the shame nonetheless? a sexy husband openly cheating on you? cheating on your sexy husband while he may/may not know?

what's the bottom line? just lovey-dovey fluff dating? a little bit of touching here and there? a swimming trunk episode every 2 chapters? alleged sex? shown sex? sex in a car at a deserted countryside? sex in a fitting room at a crowded retail clothing store? literally having you on a leash while he walks you in the park in broad daylight? walking him on a leash in the same scenario while he licks your steel-tipped heels? beloved by an army of ikamen? loving just one guy? loving two-three guys? having a harem? (fuck that reverse harem bullshit; harem is harem) having an EMPIRE of men slaves?

How about the MCs? How do you want to relate in the story? Timid creature? Big girl? Small girl? Sub? Dom? Gets approached by hot men? APPROACHES the hot men herself?

consider this a wide survey from yours truly. after years of content consumption, I finally became curious about the other side. if you're shy or that you don't prefer to divulge your tastes, that's fine. if you feel ashamed, you don't need to; we here at ScribbleHubForums don't feel shame. It's to the point that it's a detriment that we do not feel negative about our taboos.

oh, and if you have to ask about the given examples, they don't exist. i made them up. sorry if you're dissapointed.

so please, do tell

what gets you gushy gussin'?

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
some like the collarbone (???)
I feel called out. :blob_happy:

I'm a sucker for good art, it may even make me read really trashy plots. But if I absolutely detest the personality of the MC then even the best plot can't make me read a story.

Sometimes it's the entitlement some MC carry, like those MCs that had the chance to reincarnate or transmigrate and were total good-for-nothings in their first life and blamed others for their laziness. You gotta back up your arrogance with hard work. I also drop when the MC is going against my moral compass. Only very good comedy can save the story from getting abandoned.

There are also stories I read despite the MC or ML being utter trash. Mostly because the premises is so good I want to know the ending or other story elements (e.g. excellent carried out angst, mpreg baby, MVP side characters...)

You can also throw in a trash MC or ML as long as there is character development.

I hate it in shoujo when the FL gets pushed back and the ML has to rescue her. Like what? Do male MCs ever get rescued by a dashing FL?? They either get out of the shit with some cheat or some bro comes to rescue them.

That's why I hate most female MC stories. It's a bit better in BL, but even there the stereo roles of damsel in distress are there.

Also, some stories are so contradictory and hypocritical. MC says that they are not interested romantically in anyone, but goooooosh, why did you assemble this fake harem already?? It's weird if suddenly so many love interests appear. It feels very unnatural for me. In most cases, the sudden feelings of goodwill feel very forced and so sudden. I just hate mary sues and gary sues in romance.

Flawed characters are welcome, they are human, they are interesting.

Yes, I like 1v1 more. Polyamory is also ok. Harem might be also ok, but please at least try to develop romantic feelings between the Harem master and the members, ok? That's what most are lacking. (And sadly a lot of romance stories too...)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
As far as appearance goes...
  • In Novels: It doesn't matter. I'll forget it less than a minute after I read the appearance description. The more time you spend describing appearances, the more bored I'll be because I'll just forget it in no time.
  • Mangas: It's more that I want the art style in itself to be pretty than anything else? I also dislike poorly drawn noses, because they are right in the middle of the character's face, so it really bothers me when they're just a round circle or something.
    But the art of the characters themselves... Uhn... I dunno, I just want it to be pretty. If the art is more rugged like Gantz, it's just a turnoff for me... For as long as things are pretty, I'm fine with basically anything.
As far as personality goes...
  • I generally don't like characters that are too pushy, though I don't mind some level of pushiness. I also dislike characters that are excessively confident and too full of themselves.
    That aside... Anything works for as long as the character feels like an actual character, I guess? As long as the character isn't a walking trope, or a total blank slate and the like, I'm good. Make the character well-developed, and I'm fine with almost anything (And yes, this does include the super confident pushy characters).
  • I will say though, that ruthless, merciless murderhobos are really not my thing. The more a character strays away from my morals, the less I like them... And being a murderhobo is usually a bit too much (though I'm fine with killing in most stories, just not... "You have hurt my pride, so now I'll kill your whole family").
  • Ah, and about damsels in distress... I'm actually 100% fine with it. I'm even fine with the Female Protagonist being completely dependent on the Male Lead... But I also want her to be aware of it, yanno? Like... If she is useless, I kinda want her to be aware of her uselessness and to be frustrated by it. She doesn't necessarily need to do something about it (especially because she might not be able to), but I do want her to be aware of it, and to be frustrated by her own powerlessness.
As far as lewd stuff goes...
  • I'm not fond of mixing things. If I'm reading a lewd story, I am there for the lewds, so I expect them to come often and fit my fetishes... And if I'm reading a story for any other reason, then I will probably just be bothered by lewd chapters (though I probably won't really drop the novel/manga because of one lewd chapter... I'm just gonna skim through it).
  • As far as lewd stuff depiction... For me it's more of a thing that I like being able to put myself in the female character's shoes during the act? So I just prefer if she's more on the submissive side and basically on the receiving end. Femdom in particular is only fine for me in yuri, otherwise it's an absolute no to me... But well, those are just my tastes, I don't think they're widespread or anything.
    • Oh, and on yuri lewd stuff, I generally prefer more normal stuff, I guess? Like... No toys, no futas nor anything like it. Just like... Normal lewd intercourse between girls. Which is surprisingly hard to find on lewd doujinshis, which is a bother.
    • Ah, and uhn... At least as far as mangas go, I just want the characters to go naked? I dunno, for some reason authors seem to like half-nakedness during intercourse. Putting the character on a swimsuit, or in school uniform, or wearing stockings and uhn... Just like... Take off your clothes first? I dunno, it just feels strange and a bit of a turnoff when the characters aren't naked.
    • As for novels... Really rare for me to read lewd novels, but I guess it needs to like... Really appeal to my fetishes and go into the feelings of what the Female character is feeling? Otherwise I'd probably just give up fast and go read a doujinshi if I wanted to read some lewd stuff.
  • Ah, and you asked for some details on fetishes, but uhn... I think I don't care that much for the specific details as long as it appeal to some of my fetishes? Like... I mostly care about the female protag being more submissive, but there are some other fetishes that I enjoy like bondage, exhibitionism, S&M, pet play and uhn... Maybe there were more? I forgot. Either way, I'm usually happy for as long as the female protag is more on the submissive side.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Different people like different things. To me, personality matters more than anything else. My number one celebrity crush was David Rovics for a long time, but I recently found out about Father Nathan Monk, and I am now head-over-heels for him. I mean, I still love David Rovics, but I've got NCE (New Crush Energy) for Father Nathan Monk:

I mean . . . have you seen the back cover of his novel? Absolute perfection!

Anime characters such as Seto Kaiba are a different ball game entirely.

Last edited:

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Write a woman, call her a man. This twink will be your mc, the self insert. Then write a dominant dude manhandle herhim roughly.

Project all kinds of submissive sex fantasies into it, write how the seme pushes you against the wall and firmly holds your chin with his big, manly hand, not allowing you to escape, and then just as you're getting erect, he suddenly knees you in the crotch, making you retch in pain....but it's ok, because you secretly like it. Add a couple of slurs here and there, but make sure he acts nice once in a blue moon too, cause he actually cares about the twink in his own, cold way.

And during sex itself, make sure he goes way too rough because that's what dominant men do, they don't ask manwoman for consent when they are so aroused they lose their sense and reason. But don't go too fast to the plowing, that would be boring. Make sure your mc losing his anal virginity or perhaps even having sex with another man for the first time will be a big moment, ok?

And don't fucking focus on the physical aspects, no one gives a shit. Instead, create hot and only semi-consensual scenarios to trigger all kinda kinks that your audience can self insert into.

Last but not least, internal monologues. Write what your mc thinks when he sees the dom for the first time, write what he thinks when he's horny, write what he thinks when dom mistreats him or treats him well. Describe how horny your mc is thinking about dom, and can't wait to get plowed again.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Write a woman, call her a man. This twink will be your mc, the self insert. Then write a dominant dude manhandle herhim roughly.

Project all kinds of submissive sex fantasies into it, write how the seme pushes you against the wall and firmly holds your chin with his big, manly hand, not allowing you to escape, and then just as you're getting erect, he suddenly knees you in the crotch, making you retch in pain....but it's ok, because you secretly like it. Add a couple of slurs here and there, but make sure he acts nice once in a blue moon too, cause he actually cares about the twink in his own, cold way.

And during sex itself, make sure he goes way too rough because that's what dominant men do, they don't ask manwoman for consent when they are so aroused they lose their sense and reason. But don't go too fast to the plowing, that would be boring. Make sure your mc losing his anal virginity or perhaps even having sex with another man for the first time will be a big moment, ok?

And don't fucking focus on the physical aspects, no one gives a shit. Instead, create hot and only semi-consensual scenarios to trigger all kinda kinks that your audience can self insert into.

Last but not least, internal monologues. Write what your mc thinks when he sees the dom for the first time, write what he thinks when he's horny, write what he thinks when dom mistreats him or treats him well. Describe how horny your mc is thinking about dom, and can't wait to get plowed again.
i was asking for insight from the fujo fans but I didn't expect a whole instructional guide from you.

i mean, congratulations. that closet must've stunk to high heavens.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
i was asking for insight from the fujo fans but I didn't expect a whole instructional guide from you.

i mean, congratulations. that closet must've stunk to high heavens.

It's the show-not-tell technique.

CynicalStrawberry

Personally, I'm all about the relationship between the two leads; how like friendship or brotherhood or even enemies suddenly discover that no one knows the other better than they themselves. That's why I'm big on the enemies to lovers trope or doting love interest: because the two guys have a dynamic that's unique to them, no one understands them better than their partner, and no one else can interfere.

So, while I do appreciate the submissive with masculine type of stories, my favorite is when both male leads are equally as strong, masculine you could say, and powerful. And I do enjoy it when one is more submissive, but only to the other. In the eyes of bystanders, they're equally as strong and powerful.