What's the deal with Gatcha stories?

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls (she/her)
Is it because so many games are becoming spin-to-win? I never got into em when there was a reasonable amount but now there's a whole bunch so I'm just wondering about the appeal when I personally find it so very unappealing

LilRora

Mostly formless
Some people take pleasure in keeping readers in suspense. Some people don't know a better way than probablility and chances.

Seriously though, I don't see the appeal of this kind of stories, but I can compare it to gambling. You won't get a clear answer why a person keeps gambling if they lose all the money they make, but it's that chance that keeps people going. I imagine it's similar in gacha stories, however they work.

Kassel

Is it because so many games are becoming spin-to-win? I never got into em when there was a reasonable amount but now there's a whole bunch so I'm just wondering about the appeal when I personally find it so very unappealing
Money.
Wait are you asking about stories or games nya?

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
Gacha Stories?
If we're talking about stories where the protagonist can use a gacha feature for abilities, items, or companions, I'm guessing it's because of the fantasy of actually having what you want but couldn't get in the stories versus real life.
(Unrelated, but I kinda like this comment feature thing Scribblehub has. I like boldin' things.)

Jemini

You know? For some reason, this gives me the oddest urge to write a fan interpretation story of Another Eden.

I had thought a storyline for Lovely once but never wrote it. She is one of the WAY in the back-ground side characters in the game. It seemed like a fun and zany idea. But, now I actually want to write it from the perspective of the main character for the game.

Last edited:

DiscoDream

Severe autist
Easy excuse for why the protagonist gets whatever they want/doesn't get what they want. Can be used to change things up at any time, and it's internally consistent. Just very lazy writing in general.

pelpelen

It's the same as gambling.
The idea of getting a ridiculous power by luck just clicks to some people (Future gamblers)

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
There is some appeal outside the gambling, or I wouldn't have looked at that kind of story twice.

That said, a moment of thinking will separate those interesting bits away from the gambling, making it no longer a gatcha story...

So to me, it's just someone who played a gatcha game, thought 'Oh that's cool,' and wrote a story about it without thinking too deeply. In other words, a fanfic. Maybe I'm wrong and just didn't notice the value in it.

Edit: Hold on, this thread is a year old. STOP.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
There is some appeal outside the gambling, or I wouldn't have looked at that kind of story twice.

That said, a moment of thinking will separate those interesting bits away from the gambling, making it no longer a gatcha story...

So to me, it's just someone who played a gatcha game, thought 'Oh that's cool,' and wrote a story about it without thinking too deeply. In other words, a fanfic. Maybe I'm wrong and just didn't notice the value in it.

Edit: Hold on, this thread is a year old. STOP.
Never!
Never stop!
Never surrender!!!