Whats the fastest red flag you've seen when reading

Echimera

I don't usually outright cancel something I start, since I tend to look at tags and stuff to filter out stuff I won't want to read anyway.
Though some things can fall way behind and it may take me quite a while to get back to them (when it comes to webnovels or manga, this time also allows them to accumulate more chapters so it's a win-win in my book).

The last thing I outright cancelled was the Revisions anime after the second episode. The MC was already annoying in the first episode, but episode 2 pushed him right up my character hatelist.
I can get behind a character with a hero complex, but not one that grins gleefully when classmates are killed left and right because that means the prophesy he got has finally arrived.

Exivac

for me, If the author writes an entire paragraph describing a female character like they are some kind of mythical creature I instantly know that story is not for me.

I usually, ignore harem-smut stories even more so if they are together however I've never seen a story more repulsive than this one,
the synopsis is the most enormous gigantic red flag if you read the synopsis and still read this story then you need a lot of help
Ohhh... That one... The synopsis did a really good job there (read it when it was on latest series page), you know exactly what the story is all about and WHY you are absolutely forbidden from ever tapping into a chapter or the "read" button

NobleTalon

By that I mean how fast did it take for you to realize that a certain story isn't meant for you, it shows that the writing quality isn't good, or it would be an utterly offensive story that does nothing except make you wonder the IQ of the author.

For me, although its an anime, I learned very quickly that Kenja no Mago, or Wise Man's Grandchild, was not going to be for me when they did that whole "Oh it was all just a test" bullshit in the most uninspired, creatively bankrupt, and logical deficient scene I have ever seen on television/streaming service. That was episode 3 which should translate to around chapter 5 or 6 at the earliest of the light novel. I don't know, I don't plan to read it or ever have it in my vicinity again after that travesty of a scene.

When I started reading a Chinese novel and after a few chapters I saw a character named Didier Drogba. I was like "it's fine, the author just needed ideas for a name, everyone do it, etc."

Later in the story, it was about the Manchester Empire fighting against Barcelona Empire, all the characters names were Messi, Ronaldo and other known football players lmao

Except for this novel, generally, it is when I see the mc and ALL the characters have Chinese names written in roman letters. Some people might flame me for that, but sorry I don't wanna read thousands of chapters with Xin-Chang-Pong fighting Liu-Xie-Wao or whoever else with a dumb name.

Idk if I'm the only one but I have no trouble remembering both Korean and Japanese names written in roman letters, but I can't for the Chinese ones.

ShrimpShady

When a story opens up with a quote from a famous person to make itself seem deep. That and when the story grinds to a halt to make way for a giant exposition dump.

Exivac

In Reincarnated as a spider, I dropped it as soon the spirits of MC and demon lord merged. Mind control is already a red flag for me, and detailed mind control which slowly shows how their personality and thoughts are being gradually merged was just horrific.

Another red flag is Gender Bender, that thing is horror for me,
Imagine not being able to goof around your friends because they all want to peg you now.
Or imagine how bad it would feel to lose all your muscles overnight, to see the fibres you worked so hard on covered with fat.
Regarding Kumodesu, in Kumoko's (the spider) defense, it was all an accident, corporal consciousness wasn't supposed to use that connection between Ariel and Spider Mother, got cut off, and ended up combining without any other choice. It can't be considered actual mind control... More like accidental merging of 2 consciousnesses, taking aspects of both and neither overcoming the other. It's a fussion.

Regarding GB, most stories don't focus too much on that aspect (there are exceptions) even going as far as giving an actual girl only the memories and not the personality and way of thinking of the boy. Then there is the mayority that only take that aspect at the start and maybe as a plot twist in the middle, everything else turns into a typical "female mc" story as the mc gets used to the body. Yes, there will be awkwardness, yes, some people might feel uncomfortable with that kind of story and I respect that, but I'm here with my point of view on the matter, I have seen plenty of pretty good GB stories that are rather underrated because of the genre. Even those that actually use the premise throughout the entire story are unique in their own way.
There will always be the nastier ones that aren't worth reading for the sake of mental sanity... Like that one of the succubus roaming around in this same thread...
Idk if I'm the only one but I have no trouble remembering both Korean and Japanese names written in roman letters, but I can't for the Chinese ones.
I feel you there...

xluferx

Your/you're or they're/their
The second i find that i drop or lose all expectations

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
have been avoiding cultivation xianxias these days. I've had enough of them. Though I also dislike harem and Hero-Syndromes.

DavidSL

Rent a girlfriend. Just reading the title gave me a bad feeling, then I read the synopsis but still didn't give me interest in the story. I even thought about giving the series a chance since there were several reviews saying that it was quite good, but I preferred to see Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha, fire force, re:zero, among others that seemed more interesting to me. When they stopped broadcasting I had forgotten about the series and some time later the controversy with the manga broke out, where a lot of reviews began to give it a low score.
En Reincarnated as a spider, lo dejé tan pronto como los espíritus de MC y Demon Lord se fusionaron. El control mental ya es una bandera roja para mí, y el control mental detallado que muestra lentamente cómo su personalidad y sus pensamientos se fusionan gradualmente fue simplemente horrible.

Otra bandera roja es Gender Bender, eso es horror para mí,
Imagina no poder bromear con tus amigos porque todos quieren pegarte ahora.
O imagine lo mal que se sentiría perder todos sus músculos de la noche a la mañana, para ver las fibras en las que trabajó tan duro cubiertas de grasa.
The web novel has several tacky things, but they ended up removing or changing them in the light novel. But even with all that, the novel has been one of the best I've read, even surpassing for me the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, or any isekai I've read. The only ones that get to him are youjo senki, tensura, overlord and made in abiss.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Regarding GB, most stories don't focus too much on that aspect (there are exceptions) even going as far as giving an actual girl only the memories and not the personality and way of thinking of the boy. Then there is the mayority that only take that aspect at the start and maybe as a plot twist in the middle, everything else turns into a typical "female mc" story as the mc gets used to the body. Yes, there will be awkwardness, yes, some people might feel uncomfortable with that kind of story and I respect that, but I'm here with my point of view on the matter, I have seen plenty of pretty good GB stories that are rather underrated because of the genre. Even those that actually use the premise throughout the entire story are unique in their own way.
There will always be the nastier ones that aren't worth reading for the sake of mental sanity... Like that one of the succubus roaming around in this same thread...
I feel that somehow makes it even more scarier, the only thing worse than murderers is a world which considers murders to be normal, but I know that's just me being a whiny brat. I know many who enjoy GB, and prefer the one which go into detail and turmoil of changing genders.

As for that "succubus", you have read her? I am scared to go that path, so, how is it?

Blitz

『⛰Ping-Pong Cat❄️』『⚡️New member⚡️』
I kinda remember one of the first novels I dropped way back in 2016. It was something like the protagonist committed suicide and he was isekai'd and given op powers, the trivialisation and such left a bad taste so I dropped it on the first chapter.

eun_

Whats the fastest red flag you've seen when reading
When the story suddenly introduces food diplomacy or hot springs bathing because yolo. Bonus points if those aforementioned stuff are used to stop a war.

I really can't fathom the mental gymnastics of the authors who write that kind of stuff. Like, are you serious?
I just... can't. It's too much of a joke that I'm getting a second hand embarrassment recalling all those weird crap.

Another red-flag is when the protagonist humblebrags. "Oh, I'm totally not that good and lucky ha. ha. ha..." meanwhile at the same time they have dozens upon dozens of deus ex machina items and abilities on their back and 10-meters thick plot armor.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
What's the context of this show and the "all just a test"? Did something terrible happen to them but then some higher up just wave their hand and fix everything?
Okay so I had to rewatch it to remember the context cause its been so long and I nearly balled up when the scene came on. Worse yet, I was watching it on crunchyroll and Re:Zero ads popped up making me realize that I could actually watch something thats good. So here's the context behind it. I also gave the show too much credit cause it didn't happen in episode 3. It happens in episode fucking 2. In episode 3, our MC kills a dude, actually kills him. And its just kind of waved off.

Basically our MC has the ability to rewrite enchantments on gear and write his own. Only masters can do that, and something world building where in a vacuum would be interesting, but in the whole makes me even more infuriated, is that the better the enchantments the more expensive said item is.

In episode 1, the MC finds a blue haired woman getting robbed in an alley and he saves her and they fall in love immediately. I fucking despise insta love too but its not enough to get me to drop a show or think its a red flag so I continued watching. So the blue haired girl is getting harassed by this rich kid, and the MC protects her. Also the rich dude is cartoonishly evil and angry all the god damn time. Like he has no other emotion except anger. So to protect her, he invites her to his house.

At his house, he asks his grandmother if he can rewrite her student uniform to protect her better. At first the the blue haired woman is all for it, but then the grandmother says that by doing so it will hike the price of her uniform to top class. Then the grandmother asks if she is worthy to recieve the enchantment or something. Which first problem arises right there. What does being worthy or not have to do with anything here. Because its expensive? That's the only reason given. Which makes no goddamn sense.

Then we go to her refusal which her refusing also makes no sense. Your boy toy aint giving it to you because its expensive or some shit, he's doing it to protect you. Not to mention he's the one thats doing the enchantment so if he wants you to have it wouldn't it already mean that he sees you as worthy to begin with?

So whatever. She refuses and bursts into tears. Dramatic music plays in the background. She gets up from her seat and says she isn't worthy or some shit and the grandmother hugs her. Then she says that it was all a test or something and the background turns into sparkling gold, the music gets even more dramatic and vomit rises in my mouth. The test was if she had a greedy heart or whatever which also makes no sense. Like, her grandchild wants to give it to her as a gift to protect her from the rich guy. There's nothing greedy about accepting a gift, no matter the fucking price or whatever.

And then she goes ahead and makes it anyway which I'm just emotionally clocked out by this point. Like, I've seen some tropes and cliches done before with nothing to make them exciting, but not only did they use a cliche and not deviate from it in the slightest, but they somehow made it worse.
The reason why I dropped jobless reincarnator. Really great show overall with how it started, the characters, world building, everything! But somehow, everyone seems to conveniently excuse the fact that the main character is an unapologetic pedophile when talking about it. I mean, it's kind of a big thing.
I really love that show and I don't really get the whole Rudeus thing. Well, I mean I get it, but not how people portray it as. Rudeus is a shitty person. He's a dude that has done nothing in his previous life except lusting after anime girls and he never even went to his parents funeral. Then he gets reincarnated and wants to live the life he's never had. And even when he tries to do the uncomfortable shit, the world punishes him for it.

The best way I can explain it is I don't like Rudeus for his character. I like Rudeus because of his growth as a character as he matures and slowly becomes a better person. Also the anime has god tier animation. I'm planning on picking up the light novels but I'm poor as hell.

Last edited: