What's wrong with the writing style and integrity of the Chinese and Japanese authors nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailusGebel

You said like this because you didn't read the good Chinese literature.
Is it good because it was translated by good translators? Comparing novels on qidian that are machine translated half of the time with published books or classical Chinese literature is strange. You compare professionals that sometimes work in pairs or even trios and work as translataros for their whole life with hobbyists. Of course a lot of hobbyists won't even bother adapting different language and will simply translate the meaning.

Grimanddark

Says the guy who also can't read sarcasm. I'm not sure what "but try in it" means. Those words are not grammatically correct by any standard.
Again, you cannot in sarcasm, allusions to modern Internet culture and shades of style. Try harder.

expentio

Uh, I write like this. Don't think that my stories are for retarded.
On another note, I believe that there are other things one could argue about in chinese writing. Like for example flaunting questionable morality.
I'm still shocked from the one where the mother cracked her daughter's head open for being verbally "rude" and the daughter apologized on the way to the afterlife.
Not to forget this weird idiogram speech. Always feels like they're using over and over metaphors only chinese people could get.

Grimanddark

Is it good because it was translated by good translators? Comparing novels on qidian that are machine translated half of the time with published books or classical Chinese literature is strange. You compare professionals that sometimes work in pairs or even trios and work as translataros for their whole life with hobbyists. Of course a lot of hobbyists won't even bother adapting different language and will simply translate the meaning.
For gods sake, open qidian and check its language. Why would they translate from Chinese to Chinese?

SailusGebel

For gods sake, open qidian and check its language. Why would they translate from Chinese to Chinese?
This doesn't look like Chinese to me.
However, no one could be sure when Qin Tang might return.

So, they all wanted to take the opportunity to fall asleep.

But...

Sleeping, for those who often suffer from insomnia, was certainly a familiar struggle.

If there were no mental burdens, falling asleep was natural.

However, on the contrary, if one kept worrying about something, forcing oneself to sleep.

Grimanddark

Uh, I write like this. Don't think that my stories are for retarded.
On another note, I believe that there are other things one could argue about in chinese writing. Like for example flaunting questionable morality.
I'm still shocked from the one where the mother cracked her daughter's head open for being verbally "rude" and the daughter apologized on the way to the afterlife.
Not to forget this weird idiogram speech. Always feels like they're using over and over metaphors only chinese people could get.
Geez, this metaphoric speech is real hell for every student of Chinese, when he tries to understand real and alive Chinese.
This doesn't look like Chinese to me.
do we speak about the same site? I speal about https://www.qidian.com/, it is Chinese.
I stand corrected. Only a genius could come up with a comeback of this caliber.
I stepped down on your level.

SailusGebel

do we speak about the same site? I speal about https://www.qidian.com/, it is Chinese.
I have no idea if we speak about the same thing.

Here is a quote from a random novel of a random Chinese author:
However, no one could be sure when Qin Tang might return.

So, they all wanted to take the opportunity to fall asleep.

But...

Sleeping, for those who often suffer from insomnia, was certainly a familiar struggle.

If there were no mental burdens, falling asleep was natural.

However, on the contrary, if one kept worrying about something, forcing oneself to sleep.

Why do they write "one paragraph - one sentence"? Moreover, they write as short, as possible sentences, often abruptly and arbitrary teared in two, they even write sentences from one word. Why?

In my opinion, if a novel is written "one paragraph - one sentence", it means it is written for m*ntally r*tarded persons, or by a m*ntally r*tarded person, or both variants. Disgusting.
Who are "they"? Chinese authors? Well, the thing is, a quote from a random novel of a random Chinese author for some reason is in English. I highlighted it with italic. So, yeah, I will repeat the question. Who are "they"?

Grimanddark

I have no idea if we speak about the same thing.

Who are "they"? Chinese authors? Well, the thing is, a quote from a random novel of a random Chinese author for some reason is in English. I highlighted it with italic. So, yeah, I will repeat the question. Who are "they"?
I've lost your thought. At first, you said about qidian "This doesn't look like Chinese to me.", now you say "I have no idea if we speak about the same thing.".

SailusGebel

I've lost your thought. At first, you said about qidian "This doesn't look like Chinese to me.", now you say "I have no idea if we speak about the same thing.".
Well, you speak about Chinese but quote English.

SailusGebel

If you speak about my starting message, I quote the English translation of the Chinese novel.
This means the translation was bad. Just like I said before. You compare translations done by machine(qidian) and professionals(good Chinese literature).
You said like this because you didn't read the good Chinese literature.
If you use google translate to translate the good Chinese literature it will turn to shit.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
How do you feel about novels on scribblehub?

Ah found it

It's an edited machine translation hosted here

Just read the original, it's an wn/LN i am guessing.

Looks the same as any other LN since the beginning of time, light on description, quick in momentum, each sentence/paragraph is new action, but since chinese is a high context language, author can kind of make this cultural trait do the heavy lifting.

No sure how much nuance would translate over, when it's a simple eng translation... but yeah most of the time with the inter relational cultural context of chinese you don't really need more that one sentence and its loaded with enough (?) info...

But there are times this novel did get a bit light in description/context, like the where, how did... but it is an LN after all. Also there is abit of a mush mash of internal thoughts, and external visuals, and some course corrections after the fact, something English don't or can't(?) do.

Still seem pretty normal to me. In chinese that is.

And no, it not a novel I would read.

Grimanddark

@Grimanddark are you bilingual?
More than bilingual an English is not my native language.
This means the translation was bad. Just like I said before. You compare translations done by machine(qidian) and professionals(good Chinese literature).

If you use google translate to translate the good Chinese literature it will turn to shit.
you literally can go and check original novels and you even don't need to know Chinese for this. Why do you continue to ignore what I've written to you many times before?

SailusGebel

you literally can go and check original novels and you even don't need to know Chinese for this. Why do you continue to ignore what I've written to you many times before?
I literally don't know Chinese and how it works. I only know that it is literally different from English.

Status
Not open for further replies.