What's wrong with the writing style and integrity of the Chinese and Japanese authors nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailusGebel

why do you arguing then?
Because you didn't mention whether you know Chinese or not all this time, and you used a translated quote instead of Chinese. You can't expect me to know everything about you. I assumed you are the same as me.

Another reason is because I'm willing to learn new stuff. And based on this reply I assume that you know Chinese. Can you explain what is wrong with writing like this in Chinese?

melchi

What is a custom title?
I think that short paragraphs are normal for Japanese LN. Also, the way traditional novels are presented where one reads lines top to bottom, left to right. So the white space looks way different that way. Also, for HTML <BR> tends to make it look like a new paragraph. So I think a lot of it is just typesetting by the translator.

I don't know a whole lot about chinese but some of the cultural things about LNs I think english authors can learn something from. In LNs run on sentences are much rarer. Authors write simply. I think rejecting bloat is a good thing.
1280px-Heibon-pp.10-11.jpg

(Example from wikipedia)

Grimanddark

what is wrong with writing like this in Chinese?
The same, as in every other culture and language -- treating your readers as stupid monkeys. Looks like this is conscious policy of qidian, monopolistic digital publisher (97% or something), notoriously known for its tyrannical practices.

SailusGebel

The same, as in every other culture and language -- treating your readers as stupid monkeys. Looks like this is conscious policy of qidian, monopolistic digital publisher (97% or something), notoriously known for its tyrannical practices.
Can you please explain why exactly writing a short sentences = treating a reader as stupid monkey? Not necesserily in Chinese, but overall.

Grimanddark

I think that short paragraphs are normal for Japanese LN. Also, the way traditional novels are presented where one reads lines top to bottom, left to right. So the white space looks way different that way. Also, for HTML <BR> tends to make it look like a new paragraph. So I think a lot of it is just typesetting by the translator.

I don't know a whole lot about chinese but some of the cultural things about LNs I think english authors can learn something from. In LNs run on sentences are much rarer. Authors write simply. I think rejecting bloat is a good thing.View attachment 23507
(Example from wikipedia)
Yes, Chinese people have ancient literature, like many other nations. The thing is that in modern real literature Chinese authors write like all the other world. Moreover, there are LN written in "normal" paragraphs and the quality of their writing is much better of crippled.

Moreover, there are LN written in "normal" paragraphs and the quality of their writing is much better of crippled.
Oh, so there are authors that write in long form and there are authors that write in short form.

I see, sound like this is a non issue than.

So to answer the question

What's wrong with the writing style and integrity of the Chinese and Japanese authors nowadays?
Nothing, everything is fine.

Glad we got that sorted.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Here is a quote from a random novel of a random Chinese author:

Why do they write "one paragraph - one sentence"? Moreover, they write as short, as possible sentences, often abruptly and arbitrary teared in two, they even write sentences from one word. Why?

In my opinion, if a novel is written "one paragraph - one sentence", it means it is written for m*ntally r*tarded persons, or by a m*ntally r*tarded person, or both variants. Disgusting.
Probably just what you're reading? Super biased take here.

I've read tons of stuff from those two catagories and I generally associate those two authors with higher quality than their equivilance.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Here is a quote from a random novel of a random Chinese author:

Why do they write "one paragraph - one sentence"? Moreover, they write as short, as possible sentences, often abruptly and arbitrary teared in two, they even write sentences from one word. Why?

In my opinion, if a novel is written "one paragraph - one sentence", it means it is written for m*ntally r*tarded persons, or by a m*ntally r*tarded person, or both variants. Disgusting.

Why are you complaining to us about this here, on Scribble Hub? Go to Royal Road where all the big brain authors and readers like yourself are.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
I do not know the context of the novel, but it can be a literary device.
On my novel, I have used short paragraphs to stimulate a sense of emergency in the reader. Was I successful? I don't know, nobody ever told me their thoughts :^)
But I do know it is possible, having studied several texts, including comics, romances, novels, poems, manga, haiku etc.

Evil-Empire

Doesn't matter what the original language is, if it's being translated into English it should be formatted for what's normal in English.

"Originally it's from X language."

So what? I'm not reading it X language, I'm reading it in English.

There's no law and people are free to do whatever but I would never bother trying to read a story where each sentence was it's own paragraph. English has paragraphs for a reason and that reason is mostly ease of reading and letting you know that the sentences in the paragraph have a common topic.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Doesn't matter what the original language is, if it's being translated into English it should be formatted for what's normal in English.

"Originally it's from X language."

So what? I'm not reading it X language, I'm reading it in English.

There's no law and people are free to do whatever but I would never bother trying to read a story where each sentence was it's own paragraph. English has paragraphs for a reason and that reason is mostly ease of reading and letting you know that the sentences in the paragraph have a common topic.

I beg your pardon? What kind of thinking is that?
There are several kinds of ways of translating something, and all of them have their virtues. Perhaps you are not a writer, or even a creator for that matter, but let me try to make this simple: not all languages can express the same feelings with the same number of words.

In fact, it is most common that an expression used in a Language is not available in another! How absurd of you to demand for something to make sense in another language just because it makes sense in yours! Do you think you own the universe?

Evil-Empire

There are different ways of translating things, that's how you end up with many, many different versions of the Bible, for example. That's an issue for translators to argue over. But despite different versions of translations they still obey the basic rules of English.

True, not everything translates perfectly from one language to the next, that's why the phrase 'lost in translation' exists. So often then translator must approximate meanings as best they can.

Doesn't matter, the translation should make sense in the language it's translated into or there was no point of translating it in the first place.
Do you think you own the universe?

This makes no sense. I said people are free to do whatever. I'm also free to not bother reading it. Not sure how this makes me into someone who thinks they own the universe. I would like to point out this isn't even about translation itself but rather about formatting and what's easy to read in English. So you missed the point entirely.

Grimanddark

There are different ways of translating things, that's how you end up with many, many different versions of the Bible, for example. That's an issue for translators to argue over. But despite different versions of translations they still obey the basic rules of English.

True, not everything translates perfectly from one language to the next, that's why the phrase 'lost in translation' exists. So often then translator must approximate meanings as best they can.

Doesn't matter, the translation should make sense in the language it's translated into or there was no point of translating it in the first place.

This makes no sense. I said people are free to do whatever. I'm also free to not bother reading it. Not sure how this makes me into someone who thinks they own the universe. I would like to point out this isn't even about translation itself but rather about formatting and what's easy to read in English. So you missed the point entirely.
I understood that it's useless to argue, the don't even understand what is the problem. You cannot close the yawning chasm of absent school education in an internet discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.