What's your opinion on an MC that betrays their comrades?

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
on a fictional story.

Even if its a milder sort of cowardice I am not offended. My country of residence if big on freedom, which usually means the same thing as 'you can run away if you like'. You would have to get a terribly underwhelming object of fear for me to be offended by cowardice, and by the time that happens you'd no longer have any actual threat anyway. Something like "Let your valient death's distract this gargantuan wolf as I flee in primal terror! I will name my kid after youu!!" "...Bro that's not a wolf, it's the choir boys' three legged and blind pomeranian. Go home and give up on ever stepping foot outside the village."
Unless you worded the first post really weirdly, that featured those friends actually dying.
This was the scenario I was referring to.
Because other than putting intent before consequence, I don't see why this sort of selfishness at the expense of others should be better than the others you mentioned.

otosewrites

I like it. I might use that as an arc in my novel somewhere. Have a character betray his friends (because of his cowardice). Then he has to earn back their trust by doing something epic ...

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I still remember the Baten Kaitos betrayal. Good stuff.

If used right it can be as good as any other trope. Betrayal isn't inherently bad. You can have your MC start as one of the baddies for example and then switch sides.

The readers totally love it if the bad guys get betrayed (damn hypocrits).

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
I'm curious how others think of MCs that betray their former comrades or even outright sacrifice them, halfway through the story.

For example Berserk through the eyes of Griffith.:blob_hide:
LMAOO, perfect timing for me seeing this thread considering my MC kills his comrade(s)/childhood friends to survive

DeviousColony69

Depending on the situation of the MC. I'll use Nidome No Yuusha as an example. The MC fucks (metaphorically not literally) all of his comrades because they betrayed him for the benefit of themselves.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
As long as their comrade is in the wrong or they have a valid reasonable reason, i'm fine with it.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I think it would depend on what the gain is, and the impact on the comrades, and whether there will be a chance to redeem themselves later. If it's an MC going along and kicking their mates off a cliff and laughing and then taking a big bag of money from the baddie, then that MC is a dick and you are a horrible author :mad_s::blob_thor::LOL: