When is a 1star rating justified

Justified 1

• Total voters
I have a Novel and it was decent at best,(I enjoy reading my work) I felt offended all of a sudden when i saw someone rated it 1, I know I put hours of my time on it for someone to enjoy and to share it to people that wants to read it and enjoy aswell;-; but someone suddenly rated it 1 it would prolly be 2 at best if they felt bored I dont have grammar issues(90% sure abt this) mostly just forgotten punctuation marks(like 1 or 2 forgotten marks in a chapter) so is it a justified 1? If it's not their cup of tea genre or they just find it boring. [Im mostly just venting maybe i'll stop uploading it online and just put it on my novelist app still doing it, just not posting it anymore or maybe just directly quit, I started this hobby for writing when I was inspired by a certain novel I saw and it made me feel certain emotions, alright vent done ty]

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
hey, i tried to find your novel but your profile is disabled. Sorry to hear about the 1star.

Not sure i want to participate in the poll but that's because i feel theres a lot that goes into what makes a 1 a 1. If I had to rate every book I read, sure, thered be a few 1s in my experience. But I don't.

So I feel a 1star is only really warranted (in seriousness before K5 comes in here with her Give Me 1 Star sig) when the book is nonfunctional. Like you just can't grok it.

Or if youre reading a K5Rakitan book, but thats a special case.

Most books on SH, unless they have dire problems, Id say three star minimum or just dont rate. Cause like yeah, a lot of books on SH are functional tales. They may not be GOOD, but they're not so bad it shoots itself in the foot.

I also have a sliding scale for new vs established authors. Brand new authors or authors with less dopamine numbers than me (i have pretty low numbers myself) i will rate 5 or not rate. People doing better than me i can give 4s or maybe even 3s.

If you're on trending and you write something that has a severe problem that I just will not put aside, or I think "okay how the fuck did you make trending this is an ordee of magnitude worse than my work and I think my work sucks" Yeah that 1 is incoming. (Okay so apparently Trending is mostly luck and random-numbers. This... doesn't apply as much as it did before, hence the strikethrough. But the sentiment is still kinda there. If you are Well-Known or Famous, then One-Shot Protection (get it?) no longer applies to you.)

If you'd like you can send me a link to your book and I can give a chapter or few a read and see what i think of it. I doubt you deserved a 1

Last edited:

Macha

Not a Klutz
If you're on trending and you write something that has a severe problem that I just will not put aside, or I think "okay how the fuck did you make trending this is an ordee of magnitude worse than my work and I think my work sucks" Yeah that 1 is incoming.
SH's trending feature is just random novel feature in disguise. You don't need to be good at writing to be featured. It's all luck.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I believe 1's are only justified for novels that break site rules. Most unreadable novels are just poorly translated, and I don't think that's worth a 1. As it is, the best you can do is learn to ignore any ratings that don't also come with a constructive comment or review. From what I've seen, most readers don't care what rating a novel has anyway. Trending is strange. If you pay attention to it long enough you'll notice that none of the most popular novels ever get on it. I think it's mostly random, giving a slight edge to relatively new novels.

D

Deleted member 54065

I have a Novel and it was decent at best,(I enjoy reading my work) I felt offended all of a sudden when i saw someone rated it 1, I know I put hours of my time on it for someone to enjoy and to share it to people that wants to read it and enjoy aswell;-; but someone suddenly rated it 1 it would prolly be 2 at best if they felt bored I dont have grammar issues(90% sure abt this) mostly just forgotten punctuation marks(like 1 or 2 forgotten marks in a chapter) so is it a justified 1? If it's not their cup of tea genre or they just find it boring. [Im mostly just venting maybe i'll stop uploading it online and just put it on my novelist app still doing it, just not posting it anymore or maybe just directly quit, I started this hobby for writing when I was inspired by a certain novel I saw and it made me feel certain emotions, alright vent done ty]
It's justified when it's unreadable.

For me, it's justified when it's unreadable (as in weird plot turns, glaring inconsistencies), and the author is being obstinate about it (like I already called his attention and he insists nothing is wrong). But then again, I rarely give 1* coz I know how painful and insulting it is to receive one.

Now as for your case, it's okay to vent. Take a break, take a deep breath, and go back whenever you're ready. Sometimes, 1* here is because someone is trolling (its height was way back in October 2020 to January 2021), or it's not their cup of tea and they missed out reading the tags (or just plain read it out of curiosity and they felt betrayed). In most cases, it's a 'him' problem.

Don't be discouraged. Continue writing and improving on your craft.

:mad_s:

that... if thats true then i have a few tables to flip. Like. What.

(not angry at you, this is genuinely helpful info thank you. just.... what the fuck)
No joke, but I've seen stories before in trending where grammar is thrown outside the window. I just won't say the title since I don't want trouble.

Though, I'm not saying the trending is too faulty. I mean, it is, but this is because some authors figured out how to increase interaction to their novels enough for the algorithm to feature them in trending.

I managed to get my old work to trending spot #2 (December 2020) before by doing some things. I won't say what is, mainly because I think the algorithm was changed already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
My novel has gotten number 1 on trending twice now, making it onto the top 9 a few times. I don't think I did anything special to get there though. I didn't get the most views, comments or even a high rating. I'm new to writing, having just started right before Christmas so my work can't be that great. It's one of the big reasons I think it's mostly random. None of these numbers or anything I can see puts me ahead of something big like Salvos for example. :blob_hmm:

The first time was really nice since it boosted my confidence, but now I feel like other people could use that boost more. I already have dedicated readers and my novel definitely isn't for most people with it's themes and content. It would be nice if it favored newer novels that might be struggling to find people who will enjoy them. I think it might, since like I said in my previous post, none of the biggest novels on the site ever get on it.

I won't select an answer to the poll since it doesn't have anything I would use as a reason to give someone 1.

SailusGebel

I see, thank you.
Everyone get 1-star ratings, and it doesn't matter whether they are justified or not. I would say you should grow a thicker skin. Does the novel that inspired you have 1-star ratings? Does the author continue writing it\finished it? If you can answer both questions with yes, you should take inspiration from that.

Arkus86

Some people use the rating as either 1 or 5, nothing in between. Personally, I would say 1 is justified when the novel is unreadable, though what constitutes an unreadable novel can vary. Terrible English in general is one prime reason (as an extreme example, I have seen one case where the novel was literally unintelligible, only barely even recognizable as an attempt at English), with writing of comparable level as another.

But if your rant here is an example of how much care you put into your chapters - and I'm going to assume it's not, rant and all - then the chapters would miss far more than just one or two punctuation marks.

RebelLion

1-star ratings can happen for many reasons:
Some authors think your story is worse than theirs.
Some authors think your story is better than theirs.

RRL have it worse because 0.5-star rating is a thing.

Potatome

Based on what you wrote here your 1-star ratings are more than justified.
I wish to knock your brain off! So hilarious😂😂😂
Everyone get 1-star ratings, and it doesn't matter whether they are justified or not. I would say you should grow a thicker skin. Does the novel that inspired you to have 1-star ratings? Does the author continue writing it\finished it? If you can answer both questions with yes, you should take inspiration from that.
First time, you said something so inspirational

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
I don't know? I feel like a somebody if I'm getting a 1-star. :blobtaco: :blob_sir: