When would you go pro?

TowerGuy

Oh oh, and also the fear of releasing a new series and it not doing as well as you'd hoped even though you put your heart and soul into it, so you start procrastinating like crazy in the last few chapters you promised yourself to do before you start publishing! That feeling is so horrible! >.<

Yup, can relate.

Although for me it's a bit different, more about impatience. I start posting a novel but when it doesn't automatically get 3 zillions readers in a few days, I feel disheartened and start slacking off.

*sighs*

ddevans

I'm in my mid-30s and never managed to get ahead in life. I also work in a physically demanding job, and in ten years I won't even be able to do it.

After the time I put aside for work, for sleep, for maintaining a healthy diet, for exercise, for a bit of socialization, for reading or playing games, for cleaning, for studying to advance my 'career', and a little bit of simple relaxation--like posting here--I have about 10 hours a week to write, and another 2 to edit. I average 350 words an hour. This is what I can sustain right now. I recently spiked my production to 35 hours a week to finish the second book of my novel under my stated deadline, and I know I can't sustain that level for more than three weeks without burning out. Would I like to do more? Yes. Can I? No, and I've tried. The result is burnout and depression. The last time I tried to turn myself into a typewriter, I wound up not writing for two years afterwards.

I imagine with time and experience I'll be able to raise my level of effort to 14-16 hours a week without burning out. With this constant pressure I'll eventually have a substantial catalog of complete works which, I hope, can't be ignored. My dire situation isn't the bills due next week, but bills will be coming due in the fullness of time. Some of them are bound to be distressingly medical. I do love writing though. If I didn't I'd be pursuing a more reliable bailout plan, like drawing fetish art.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Yup, can relate.

Although for me it's a bit different, more about impatience. I start posting a novel but when it doesn't automatically get 3 zillions readers in a few days, I feel disheartened and start slacking off.

*sighs*
Oof, that seems pretty rough! >.<

Since so far I only posted one novel, I was pretty happy with the result I got, but I can imagine I might get quite down if my 2nd novel doesn't top the first one... orz

Would be hard to continue while feeling like that! >.<