When writing off the bad ends of bad guys, to what level of violence and gores are readers willing to tolerate?

Szaku

looking at some of the other replies im actually just glad im not the only one who felt that way. always kinda thought i was, a bit.

but yea, i like stuff "meted out" with antagonist's ends, the more annoying or vile they are, i kinda want them to suffer not so much equal to how much suffering they've caused, but killing them off quickly can be just as frustrating as letting them get away. as far as the gore or what not involved, again, its really dependent on what type of villain or bad guy they were.

i say that as a generality, though. maybe its the desensitization talking, having read so many revenge-type plotlines, but truthfully i could stand to see more mere henchman being eviscerated from time to time. reason being, there's just so many OF them and i notice there never seems to be any real incentive for them not to be. supporting a villain is arguably worse, in my personal opinion.

example: in a highschool story setting, you'll typically have the bully "group" that just does whatever they want. if the mc cant immediately get back at the main perp in the short term, why not set a couple of the henchmen on fire? sounds over the top, sure, but if the purpose is scaring the wholesome shit out of the others to make the antagonist lose the power of supporters, id call that a win. psychopathic, i'll admit, but its fiction anyways, so fuck it

personally, i feel the best end to these bad guys is to off them before they could make trouble. no need to be violent, just as long it gets the job done in the most efficient and effective way possible.

in the end, if they are needlessly violent, it just makes me think less of the MC. i prefer the cold and calculating ones that left no hidden dangers and always come prepared.

though it's kinda different if the violence has a reason, like trying to psychologically traumatize others so they won't mess with the MC or etc. but i prefer to leave out the gross details aside.

might it be boring? probably. but it's the kind of boring i love.

Wintertime

King of Nothing
I like redemption arcs more, but whatever suits your fancy works. Depends on if it fits your character or not.