Where is the place to write BL (not fanfics)

iWannaEatChicken

Hi, I'm a new writer (like I-haven't-published-my-work-anywhere-but-i-have-lots-of-ideas-new) and I'm really wracking my brain over where I should begin writing :blob_cringe:

The main platform I'm considering is Wattpad because I like their in-line commenting interface and because it gets lots of readers haha :blob_sweat:

But I'm worried that I won't find an audience for my work on there because I want to write BL -- not fan-fiction though.

If any of you are from NovelUpdates, I mean novels like Later He Became The Royal Healer, Stop Bothering Me Emperor, and Are You Addicted?

These are BL's with solid plots and range from shounen ai to yaoi.

I read somewhere that this Scribblehub is more open to different niche genres, but that they aren't that popular.

There's also Webnovel but I'm dubious at its popularity. Even though the site offers a paid contract, that isn't my main goal. I would like to improve my writing through reader interaction (or lack thereof).

Where would you recommend I start writing? Waiting online :blob_evil_two:

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Honestly, ScribbleHub is pretty friendly to BL and seems closest to what you like to write. It's also a great site for beginner writers.

You can get connected with the BL community here and get feedback from fellow BL enthusiasts (check out BL_Palace--they host the BLBL Newsletter and BL anthologies). You most likely won't get a lot of comments/readers, but that's not necessarily because BL is unpopular here, it's just that ScribbleHub is small.

If you want more readers overall, you can try posting in multiple places. Wattpad is nice, but there are so many stories, it's hard to get traction. When it comes to Webnovel... just NEVER sign a contract with them and you'll be okay. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of many BL dedicated writing sites that aren't centered around fanfics.

Overall, if you're a beginner, just getting your writing out there is best.

Also, ScribbleHub isn't open to more niche genres, it likes only one niche genre: Isekai-Gender-bender-Yuri-Smut.
Everything else is secondary to this.

CynicalStrawberry

Hi, I'm a new writer (like I-haven't-published-my-work-anywhere-but-i-have-lots-of-ideas-new) and I'm really wracking my brain over where I should begin writing :blob_cringe:

The main platform I'm considering is Wattpad because I like their in-line commenting interface and because it gets lots of readers haha :blob_sweat:

But I'm worried that I won't find an audience for my work on there because I want to write BL -- not fan-fiction though.

If any of you are from NovelUpdates, I mean novels like Later He Became The Royal Healer, Stop Bothering Me Emperor, and Are You Addicted?

These are BL's with solid plots and range from shounen ai to yaoi.

I read somewhere that this Scribblehub is more open to different niche genres, but that they aren't that popular.

There's also Webnovel but I'm dubious at its popularity. Even though the site offers a paid contract, that isn't my main goal. I would like to improve my writing through reader interaction (or lack thereof).

Where would you recommend I start writing? Waiting online :blob_evil_two:
I agree with BubbleC, there's a really nice BL community here led by BL_Palace. It's newer and we're still growing, but it's here. Furthermore, they have a discord for BL authors too if you're interested. And you can promote your novel, ask for help writing, or participate in events via the BL_Palace discord. Aside from that, I would totally recommend Chrysanthemum Garden. They're a niche purely BL-centered site for translations and now, more and more, OG work.

If you've written a couple of chapters of a novel, and you'd like a fairly decent site where you'll definitely get readers coming for the BL, I'd recommend CG. I've also found that the novels on CG tend to be higher quality grammar-wise since you have to run any work you want to post there by the administrators, so they're a bit stricter in terms of monitoring and making sure you update, but not by too much. However, because of that, if it's your first time ever writing, Scribble Hub might be the best place to start because it's one of the friendliest. As for Wattpad, I've posted one BL novel there and I've gotten hardly any reads so I wouldn't recommend it for BL specifically. If you're interested in further details feel free to reply or message me, I'm a BL author who writes on both SH and CG, and I used to write on Wattpad.

Last edited:

iWannaEatChicken

You can get connected with the BL community here and get feedback from fellow BL enthusiasts (check out BL_Palace--they host the BLBL Newsletter and BL anthologies).
Ohhh~ That sounds interesting! Thanks for the tip!

If you want more readers overall, you can try posting in multiple places.
Okay, I'll definitely try that!

When it comes to Webnovel... just NEVER sign a contract with them and you'll be okay.
Um... I'm scared to ask... but why?

it likes only one niche genre: Isekai-Gender-bender-Yuri-Smut
Of all the niches... :blob_blank:

Aside from that, I would totally recommend Chrysanthemum Garden. They're a niche purely BL-centered site for translations and now, more and more, OG work.
Oh I know them! They have really high quality translations so they're one of my go-to sites for that. But I totally forgot that they do original work too! I'll definitely consider this, thanks!

As for Wattpad, I've posted one BL novel there and I've gotten hardly any reads
Ohh~ Do you mind if I read it?

If you're interested in further details feel free to reply or message me
Thank you so much! :blob_aww:

Thanks a bunch BubbleC and CynicalStrawberry, you two are lifesavers :blob_melt:

CynicalStrawberry

Ohh~ Do you mind if I read it?

Thank you so much! :blob_aww:

Thanks a bunch BubbleC and CynicalStrawberry, you two are lifesavers :blob_melt:
Of course, no problem! Um, you can read it if you want but it's also on SH and CG, plus it's a modern slice of life type story so I don't know if that's your cup of tea. It's called "You Are My Protagonist".

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Um... I'm scared to ask... but why?
Well, I'm not too clear on the details myself, but from what I've heard from other authors, Webnovel contracts are pretty predatory. You lose all rights over your works I believe. So far I haven't seen a single author say otherwise, so I'd air on the side of caution when it comes to web novel contracts (not just with Webnovel but with other online sites as well).