Which Cover Art Looks Better?

Which do you like better?

• Total voters

Flashwolf96

For a while now, I've been considering whether the current cover art for my story, Micah Ever After, is really alright. Namely, the way the word "Micah" is positioned sideways next to the words "Ever" and "After". A friend of mine told me it was strange back when I first made it, but I never really took it that seriously since art and cover design isn't my specialty. I just wanted to make it, throw a quote on there because I liked it, and move on to the writing.

But now I'm wondering if maybe I should align the three words together, like this:

I made this second version at the same time as the first, just in case I changed my mind sometime later. I only just remembered that I had it while looking through some of my pictures, so I thought I'd ask for the opinion of others. Which of the two covers looks more visually pleasing, and do you think it's worth changing? Oh, and also, if you think there's another way these three words can be positioned on the cover that would look visually pleasing, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you.

LotsChrono

For a while now, I've been considering whether the current cover art for my story, Micah Ever After, is really alright. Namely, the way the word "Micah" is positioned sideways next to the words "Ever" and "After". A friend of mine told me it was strange back when I first made it, but I never really took it that seriously since art and cover design isn't my specialty. I just wanted to make it, throw a quote on there because I liked it, and move on to the writing.

But now I'm wondering if maybe I should align the three words together, like this:

I made this second version at the same time as the first, just in case I changed my mind sometime later. I only just remembered that I had it while looking through some of my pictures, so I thought I'd ask for the opinion of others. Which of the two covers looks more visually pleasing, and do you think it's worth changing? Oh, and also, if you think there's another way these three words can be positioned on the cover that would look visually pleasing, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you.
First, I think you should have made this post a poll (or maybe you can still do that, dunno). Would make it easier to see what people think at a glance.

Second, I like the second better because I don't have to twist my head nor mentally turn the image to get the title.

Flashwolf96

I like the first <3

Now, what do you think of my new cover?
I don't know why, but "horny" was the first thing that popped in my head :sweat_smile: The Hatoful Boyfriend vibes were strong, to say the least.

Also, thank you for the advice @LotsChrono. I went ahead and made a poll. I'll tally up the responses and give or take a few based on anyone who doesn't come back to vote there.

LotsChrono

I don't know why, but "horny" was the first thing that popped in my head :sweat_smile: The Hatoful Boyfriend vibes were strong, to say the least.

Also, thank you for the advice @LotsChrono. I went ahead and made a poll. I'll tally up the responses and give or take a few based on anyone who doesn't come back to vote there.
Aye aye, I've voted.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Thank you.
Boy i just dont get why you need the font so goddamn BIG. Like honestly thats what ruins it

D

Deleted member 45782

First one looks better. Second one looks like the text took over the title and the whole page, so it looks a bit too much.

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
The first one looks better as it is right now but the second one could look much better with a few modifications.
Reduce the font size of the words "ever after" such that they fit beside each other and move the whole thing a bit lower. I assure you it will look much better and won't cover up the art.
Something like this:

Micah
Ever After

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Thank you.
Ai-chan would say the second one is better among the two. However, no offense, but that's just choosing between two evils. If you want to ask, "Which of these are good?" Ai-chan would say neither.

Follow these rules when you make your book cover as an amateur:
1. If there is a face, do not cover the face with writing (there are exceptions, but the exceptions follow advanced rules which will give you a headache)
2. Do not make the title take up half your cover (there are exceptions, like the above rule)
3. Do not use the same font/size for everything (no exception)
4. Do not use the same style for all text (no exception)
5. Contrasts are good (you don't have a problem with this)
6. Do not make the texts unreadable (you don't have a problem with this)
7. Ensure the style fits the content (you pass on this one)

The texts border is a bit too thick, though.

If you want to use it regardless, that's your choice. Ai-chan too can't be bothered to spend too long making awesome covers. This is just Ai-chan suggesting how you can improve it, if you want to.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Ai-chan would say the second one is better among the two. However, no offense, but that's just choosing between two evils. If you want to ask, "Which of these are good?" Ai-chan would say neither.

Follow these rules when you make your book cover as an amateur:
1. If there is a face, do not cover the face with writing (there are exceptions, but the exceptions follow advanced rules which will give you a headache)
2. Do not make the title take up half your cover (there are exceptions, like the above rule)
3. Do not use the same font/size for everything (no exception)
4. Do not use the same style for all text (no exception)
5. Contrasts are good (you don't have a problem with this)
6. Do not make the texts unreadable (you don't have a problem with this)
7. Ensure the style fits the content (you pass on this one)

The texts border is a bit too thick, though.

If you want to use it regardless, that's your choice. Ai-chan too can't be bothered to spend too long making awesome covers. This is just Ai-chan suggesting how you can improve it, if you want to.
Shamelessly making a statement about being able to make awesome covers....

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥

Thank you.
I would prefer the first cover over the second one because the first cover has its title text positioned in a way for the character's face to be clearly shown. In short, the first cover is just more catchier to look at than the second one.

If you really want to align the three words together, just make sure to decrease the size of the title text a bit, so that it doesn't get in the way of the character's face. :blob_okay:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
@Flashwolf96
If you have the psd file, Ai-chan can help you make what Ai-chan thinks will look good. It won't be infinitely good since Ai-chwn will only spend like 10 minutes on photoshop, but even if it's not your preference, at least it could give you some reference to work with.

Flashwolf96

@Flashwolf96
If you have the psd file, Ai-chan can help you make what Ai-chan thinks will look good. It won't be infinitely good since Ai-chwn will only spend like 10 minutes on photoshop, but even if it's not your preference, at least it could give you some reference to work with.
Oh, thank you for the offer but I'm fine. I made the images online in any case, so I don't have any files to speak of.

Well, it looks like the vote is clear enough that the way it is now is pretty fine. Even for those who prefer the second version, I hope that doesn't indirectly mean that the first is unbearable or something along those lines, since that's what I'll be going with for the time being.

But I have to say... it comes as something of a relief. The general idea I got from reading the replies was: "The first version suits the larger text better, but the second version would be the best if the font size was smaller". Now, I do have both versions ready to upload, but editing it again to create a third version would've proved somewhat difficult and a bit tedious since I'd have to start from scratch. ADD and a naturally short attention span wouldn't have made that fun, no matter how good a cover I'd have ended up with in the end. So with that in mind, I'm satisfied with the current cover, as long as it isn't totally repulsive for others to look at.

I do also agree that I wanted the character to be shown as much as possible, so even though I didn't vote in the poll myself, I also prefer the first version a little bit more than the second, even though the second displays the letters "MEA" vertically in a way that visually satisfies me. What I'm most happy to see though, is that there were even others out there in the first place who felt the same way, let alone enough to create that kind of gap in the poll.

Regardless, thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts, advice and tips. I know this was kind of weird and maybe a little silly to be presented as a serious concern, but I really appreciate all of the replies you guys made to help me out.

D

Deleted member 49654

For me, it is the first one. Very catchy and fits the pose of the girl on the cover. I mean, the twist of her body radiates liveliness and motion. Thus the rigidness of the text on the second image does not fit at all.