Which favourite story of yours was turned into a successful movie?

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
I think it's really interesting how directors/screenwriters take a story and turn it into a successful movie.

How about sharing the name of a short story, novel, or series that successfully became a movie. :)

In my case, I really like The Mist by Steven King. It's been turned into a movie and now it's also a series. I think this is one instance where technology had to catch up in order to really capture what King wrote on paper so many years ago.:)

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
hmm I'm not really knowledgeable regarding stories that was adapted to films

hmm I'll just go with:
Lord of the Rings series

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
The hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Dune
StarshipTrooper(very different then the novel...)
The sword of truth (turned into a TV series called the seeker? Didnt watch it)
Potter, but read the books after watching the movies so doesnt really count.
The princess bride

Hmm so many more just can't think of them...

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
I didn't know that Starship Trooper was a novel. You live, you learn.

Of all of those, which one did you think was better as a movie? Which one was better as a book?

Tsukkin

I think it's really interesting how directors/screenwriters take a story and turn it into a successful movie.

How about sharing the name of a short story, novel, or series that successfully became a movie. :)

In my case, I really like The Mist by Steven King. It's been turned into a movie and now it's also a series. I think this is one instance where technology had to catch up in order to really capture what King wrote on paper so many years ago.:)
Hmm i too, not really really knowledgeable about stories that was adapted to films, but maybe......
Call Me by Your Name
i really like the movie, although ppl say that it's not as detailed as the book and the ending is not the same, but i still like it haha
I can't really compare the book and the movie tho, bcs i never read the book, and i think despite the movie is not as detailed like in the book it has good music, cinematography and screenplay

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Hmm i too, not really really knowledgeable about stories that was adapted to films, but maybe......
Call Me by Your Name
i really like the movie, although ppl say that it's not as detailed as the book and the ending is not the same, but i still like it haha
I can't really compare the book and the movie tho, bcs i never read the book, and i think despite the movie is not as detailed like in the book it has good music, cinematography and screenplay

Would you want to read the book after watching the movie?

Miserys_End

I didn't know that Starship Trooper was a novel. You live, you learn.

Of all of those, which one did you think was better as a movie? Which one was better as a book?
Fun fact, the reason the DI is always calling everyone apes is not because they are humans, its because in the books the majority of the ground troops are in 3m tall nuclear powered powerarmor that look like gorillas and made planet fall via orbital insertion. That also the main reason combat drops had such a special meaning. You were lucky just to survive the drop, let alone the combat that happened afterwards. The shuttles only delivered supplies, support troops in unpowered armor, or when transporting troops off planet.

Um yeah, sorry about that xD StarshipTrooper was actually a sore point for many years because of how much they butchered the book. Much like they butchered the hobbit and LotR, just not to the same extent.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Fun fact, the reason the DI is always calling everyone apes is not because they are humans, its because in the books the majority of the ground troops are in 3m tall nuclear powered powerarmor that look like gorillas and made planet fall via orbital insertion. That also the main reason combat drops had such a special meaning. You were lucky just to survive the drop, let alone the combat that happened afterwards. The shuttles only delivered supplies, troops in unpowered armor, or when transporting troops off planet.

Um yeah, sorry about that xD StarshipTrooper was actually a sore point for many years because of how much they butchered the book. Much like they butchered the hobbit and LotR, just not to the same extent.

*mind blown* That would have been so neat if they'd done it like that in the movie. A bit like the mecca type warriors in Avatar. They probably didn't have good enough CGI back then to make it look realistic. Now you have made me want to read the novel. >.> *adds to her list of reading stuffs*

My inner nerd surfaces, I find these kind of facts interesting.:geek::geek::geek:

Last edited:

Miserys_End

*mind blown* That woud
Ffs... must have a lot of pent up angst over StarshipTroopers... my mind is still pulling out more shit they left out of the movies....

So yeah, I dont know many sci-fi or fantasy novels that were treated better on the silver screen then they were in the books. Even Dune had so much changed that it was hard to make a second movie. Maybe other novel genres were easier to transition because it's all human interactions instead of magic and laser beams.

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
Fun fact, the reason the DI is always calling everyone apes is not because they are humans, its because in the books the majority of the ground troops are in 3m tall nuclear powered powerarmor that look like gorillas and made planet fall via orbital insertion. That also the main reason combat drops had such a special meaning. You were lucky just to survive the drop, let alone the combat that happened afterwards. The shuttles only delivered supplies, support troops in unpowered armor, or when transporting troops off planet.

wao what a revelation, never expected it, since it wasn't much tackle in the movies

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Ffs... must have a lot of pent up angst over StarshipTroopers... my mind is still pulling out more shit they left out of the movies....

So yeah, I dont know many sci-fi or fantasy novels that were treated better on the silver screen then they were in the books. Even Dune had so much changed that it was hard to make a second movie. Maybe other novel genres were easier to transition because it's all human interactions instead of magic and laser beams.

I hope you read my edited answer. :P

Miserys_End

*mind blown* That would have been so neat if they'd done it like that in the movie. A bit like the mecca type warriors in Avatar. They probably didn't have good enough CGI back then to make it look realistic. Now you have made me want to read the novel. >.> *adds to her list of reading stuffs*

My inner nerd surfaces, I find these kind of facts interesting.:geek::geek::geek:

Yeah that was their excuse for the lack of powerarmor. LoL weird twist though is that a number of years back the turned StarshipTroopers into a cartoon series that included the armor and orbital drops. Even then they didnt get it correct, as they turned the armor into mechs because it was "cooler that way" gotta love how the directors and producers shit all over everything out of expedients or the "let's make it better" attitude.

Another good novel similar to StarshipTroopers is called Armor, by John Steakley. Same idea in that it's mainly about people in powerarmor fighting bugs, but where StarshipTroopers is mostly actions, Armor plot covers more then the war, but also tackles things like corruption, greed, and the aftermath of said actions. It's actually one of my favorite novels that I would read over and over...

Last edited:

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Yeah that was their excuse for the lack of powerarmor. LoL weird twist though is that a number of years back the turned StarshipTroopers into a cartoon series that included the armor and orbital drops. Even then they didnt get it correct, as they turned the armor into mechs because it was "cooler that way" gotta love how the directors and producers shit all over everything out of expedients or the "let's make it better" attitude.

Another good novel similar to StarshipTroopers is called Armor, by John Steakley. Same idea in that it's mainly about people in powerarmor fighting bugs, but where StarshipTroopers is mostly actions, Armor plot covers more then the war, but also tackles things like corruption, greed, and the aftermath of said actions. It's actually one of my favorite novels that I would read over and over...

Tell me more *using sugary sweet cajoling voice*

You really are into this. >.<

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ

hey can you recommend me some good scifi books? thanks

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence
Have you read Red Rising by Pierce Brown?
A little over dramatic at part but overall pretty good

Also Wool by Hugh Howey
Some nice twists, gets a bit chatty at times tho

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
Have you read Red Rising by Pierce Brown?
A little over dramatic at part but overall pretty good

Also Wool by Hugh Howey
Some nice twists, gets a bit chatty at times tho
haven't read them before, thanks for the recommendation

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence
How about sharing the name of a short story, novel, or series that successfully became a movie
Things that I liked? Saw the movie first then realized they were books to ten in no particular order
Jurassic Park
The Godfather
The invisible man
Gone Girl
Silence of the lambs
Let the Right One In
The Bourne Identity
The Children of Men (AMAZING continuous shot)
Jaws
Jumanji

Honorable mention
The Double

Not so much a movie but Umbrella Academy is coming out soon. I remember liking the Graphic novel...

Miserys_End

o_O? Okie dokie... other then the two listed above, I've got three widely different sci-fi series to choose from.
First we have a three part trilogy called "Passing of the techno-magese by Jeanne Cavelos that is part of the B5W universe. Lots of drama, and science based magic.
If you want massive fleets of space ships clashing in the void of there is always the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.
Or you could go with a more not so science driven sci-fi novel Dune by Frank Herbert, there is a movie that is fairly close to the first book, and I guess there is going to be a new mini series some point soon.