Which favourite story of yours was turned into a successful movie?

Hopetoread

Lord of the Rings as previously stated above in multiple places, it is actually one book but the publishers split it into three and J.R.R. Tolkien the author reluctantly went along with it. The book/s are much better in my opinion however i know people who prefer the movies

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Lord of the Rings as previously stated above in multiple places, it is actually one book but the publishers split it into three and J.R.R. Tolkien the author reluctantly went along with it. The book/s are much better in my opinion however i know people who prefer the movies
J.R.R. Tolkien died way before the movie came out. I think you are referring to his son who owned the rights to the books.

Edit: so I checked and Tolkien himself did sell of his rights to Lord of the Rings but it wasn't for the movies, it was just rights to the books themselves.

Last edited:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
And I would have to say Koe no Katachi and Kimi no Nawa.

Hopetoread

J.R.R. Tolkien died way before the movie came out. I think you are referring to his son who owned the rights to the books.
nope I was talking about the books being split into three against the initial wishes of the author. He sent in one manuscript and was told it was to long , so they chopped it into three volumes

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
I dont really watch much movies but 'the martian' was a solid movie. So that and ngnl zero

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Ready player one, was a good book and I heard the movie was well liked by my friends
It's a really good movie. Of course, they changed quite a few things from the book but still a good movie.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Tolkien was a solid academic, really respected in his field, even my professors would occasionally mention him with gravitas in class. It's odd for me to think he got owned by his editors/estate/Hollywood in the end.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
I wonder what Lewis Carol would think about all the different types of Alice in Wonderland iterations out there. >.<

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I wonder what Lewis Carol would think about all the different types of Alice in Wonderland iterations out there. >.<
That's a really interesting question. I wonder what a lot of author/painter would think about their legacy. One I'm personally interested in Alexander Hamilton. Before the Broadway show came out he was being endangered of getting removed from the $10 bill. What would he think now that his legacy is being defined by a Broadway show which was created by an immigrant similar to him.

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
Finally figured out a movie that was better then the book... The Grinch That Stole Christmas xD. Then again I'm not sure if its cheating that the book just rhymes and silliness, instead of a full novel... otoh, cat in the hat should have stayed as a children's book... it was a horrible rendition.

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
That's a really interesting question. I wonder what a lot of author/painter would think about their legacy. One I'm personally interested in Alexander Hamilton. Before the Broadway show came out he was being endangered of getting removed from the $10 bill. What would he think now that his legacy is being defined by a Broadway show which was created by an immigrant similar to him.
Hopefully he'd like the music

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Finally figured out a movie that was better then the book... The Grinch That Stole Christmas xD. Then again I'm not sure if its cheating that the book just rhymes and silliness, instead of a full novel... otoh, cat in the hat should have stayed as a children's book... it was a horrible rendition.

*lol*

tbh, the cat in The Cat in The Hat felt like a pervert. >.> It was creepy to watch so I didn't.

*lol*

Dr Seuss should only be in books or cartoons is my personal opinion. A bit like Winnie the Pooh really. Not that I like Winnie the Pooh, but the movie clips that I saw also gave me a bit of the creeps.

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
*lol*

tbh, the cat in The Cat in The Hat felt like a pervert. >.> It was creepy to watch so I didn't.

*lol*

Dr Seuss should only be in books or cartoons is my personal opinion. A bit like Winnie the Pooh really. Not that I like Winnie the Pooh, but the movie clips that I saw also gave me a bit of the creeps.
Yeah... Mike Myers is an ok actor for movies geared towards adult, not so much one for kids.

In general, I feel books are better then the movies in all areas except one. That is the effort the audience has to put forth to get their entertainment. Well I guess there is a second, movies can have some stunning visuals and music, but again a good imagination and mp3 player are just as good.

8a9465a54fd6146327f069f6b23a0895.jpg

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Yeah... Mike Myers is an ok actor for movies geared towards adult, not so much one for kids.

In general, I feel books are better then the movies in all areas except one. That is the effort the audience has to put forth to get their entertainment. Well I guess there is a second, movies can have some stunning visuals and music, but again a good imagination and mp3 player are just as good.

View attachment 285

I used to be this really big Anne Rice fan....and I remember how disgusted I was that Tom Cruise was gonna be Lestat in Interview With The Vampire....then I saw the movie and felt chastised because he actually did a good job of it. It's one of the few Tom Cruise movies that I ever liked.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Yeah. I love Lewis Carroll too. Literally wrote a 16 page paper on through the looking glass in high school. There are so many interesting aspects to his stories that are generally ignored by adaptations that I would love to see.
Have you read Red Rising by Pierce Brown?
A little over dramatic at part but overall pretty good

Also Wool by Hugh Howey
Some nice twists, gets a bit chatty at times tho
While I admit that Red Rising is solid (I gave it 3.5 stars), the sequel is utter garbage. People tell me the third book finishes strong, but I can't get over how bad the second book was.