Writing Which is your favourite POV and why???

Which is your favourite POV?

• First Person

• Second Person

• Third Person

Results are only viewable after voting.

AbigailWP

Producer-Rapper-Writer-Cultivator-Fellow Human
I love 2nd person and its a shame that not many writers choose to write in it... Your POV doesn't change your story but it does change the way your reader percieves it and 2nd person imo lets the reader(((but mainly me))) let themselves indulge in the story more fully and provides an easier submersion into the mind of the character...

Also be sure to reccomend me 2nd person storys...

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Because people who write 2nd person POV usually end up writing 3rd person with multiple POVs with really shitty, wimpy, pointless characters as perspectives.

Imagine reading One Piece but you keep watching everything from the eyes of Usopp (not a shitty character, just for the sake of perspective) in a different costume each arc.

D

Deleted member 29316

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there such a thing as a '2nd Person POV'? If I remember, it's commonly used in interactive novels, but not in normal, 'narrative' ones.

The POVs that I know are (non-interactive novels):

1) First Person POV
2) 3rd Person POV Omnipotent
3) 3rd Person POV Limited

AbigailWP

Because people who write 2nd person POV usually end up writing 3rd person with multiple POVs with really shitty, wimpy, pointless characters as perspectives.

Imagine reading One Piece but you keep watching everything from the eyes of Usopp (not a shitty character, just for the sake of perspective) in a different costume each arc.
God i hope im not making the same mistake... My novel has four main characters two of which are supposed to be strong warriors... You can have a look at it in my signiture if you wish(((the bad ass characters are in the first chapter not the prologue)))...

Last edited:

AbigailWP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there such a thing as a '2nd Person POV'? If I remember, it's commonly used in interactive novels, but not in normal, 'narrative' ones.

The POVs that I know are (non-interactive novels):

1) First Person POV
2) 3rd Person POV Omnipotent
3) 3rd Person POV Limited
Of course theres such a thing!!! They're just not very common... A second person view is when the story is told as if you ARE the character so instead of there being a narrator its just you experiencing things.

Like this:

You pour antisceptic onto your pulsating scrapes. It stings like all hell but you don't care.

D

Deleted member 29316

But yeah, in writing PoVs, it's much easier to write in First Person, since you could add in his/her take on the situation happening around. The downside of First Person POVs is that, it's pretty confusing when you switch POVs with your other characters (it's possible, but you have to be careful that your readers could follow your pace), and the overall 'awareness' of the situation is limited.

For 3rd Person POVs, the Omnipotent one is easier than limited. Generally, the narrator is like a 'god' (hence, the omnipotent) able to look into every nook and cranny of the scene. It is limited by the possibility of being unable to bring out the 'feeling' of the scene to your audience though.

3rd Person Limited is like 1st Person POV, only it is told in 3rd Person. This POV is much easier to switch in characters, but suffers the same limitations as the 3rd Person Omnipotent.

As for me personally, it depends on my style of story-telling. I've written stories in 3rd Person POVs and 1st Person POVs.

D

Deleted member 29316

Of course theres such a thing!!! They're just not very common... A second person view is when the story is told as if you ARE the character so instead of there being a narrator its just you experiencing things.

Like this:
Yeah, so it's like an interactive novel. I've seen my students do that in their own novels, too...though on a personal level, I find it awkward to read when the story is non-interactive.

But I guess it depends on the author's style of story-telling. So why not experiment?

Opmjc

I always go to first person every prologue on my novel, then I change to third person when I reached chapter one. Though I'm not as good as any other authors out there, but I'm trying my very best just to learn some of the dialogues.

AbigailWP

Yeah, so it's like an interactive novel. I've seen my students do that in their own novels, too...though on a personal level, I find it awkward to read when the story is non-interactive.

But I guess it depends on the author's style of story-telling. So why not experiment?
An interactive novel allows the reader to choose where the storys goes, however a normal 2nd person novel does not... Also interactive novels don't nessasarily have to be 2nd person...

AbigailWP

Suprising lack of 1st person lovers.

D

Deleted member 29316

An interactive novel allows the reader to choose where the storys goes, however a normal 2nd person novel does not... Also interactive novels don't nessasarily have to be 2nd person...
Hmm...interesting. Maybe I should try it too in the stories I'd write in the future.

In any case, I already casted my vote. I picked 3rd Person POV since it's much easier to write in that style.

Edit: I would've picked 1st Person too, however, the poll is limited to one vote only.

AbigailWP

Hmm...interesting. Maybe I should try it too in the stories I'd write in the future.

In any case, I already casted my vote. I picked 3rd Person POV since it's much easier to write in that style.

Edit: I would've picked 1st Person too, however, the poll is limited to one vote only.
Fixed!

Draculus-del-Viafat

I love 2nd person and its a shame that not many writers choose to write in it... Your POV doesn't change your story but it does change the way your reader percieves it and 2nd person imo lets the reader(((but mainly me))) let themselves indulge in the story more fully and provides an easier submersion into the mind of the character...

Also be sure to reccomend me 2nd person storys...
Well, I can't even think of some 2nd person stories I've read, if not to count The Case Notes of Sherlock Holmes that I used to love as a kid, but I'm not even sure if they were 2nd and not 1st person books. I prefer 3rd person, because this is the way I can imagine a picture in my head clearly and also understand the way characters exist, thanks to the author's descriptions and explanations. I'd never liked 1st person view until I read Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo (also called Shadow and Bone trilogy), which became one of my favorite book series ever. It's written completely in 1st person view, and it's amazingly interesting and rich. As well as Lockwood and Co book series. After reading some other good 1st person books, I understood that they actually can be exciting, but I still prefer writing and reading in 3rd person.

PandaSempai

I like to write in a third person POV. I tried writing in a first person POV for the first time and I ended up having a terrible headache. Placing yourself in a character's shoes and writing from their perspective is something that I find to be difficult.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I'm kinda all about everything as long as it fits. My story in the signature is 1st Person Present Narration, a slow Slice of Life is perfect in my opinion with 1st person since you slowly experience the events as they unfold with the main character.

Another one I'm working on is a typical 3rd Person Past Narration, a usual action-adventure where a lot more things happen, so having an overview on all the place and all characters fares a bit better.

I also have in plans an interactive novel with 2nd Person Present/Past Narration (still hasn't decided on the tense, but present most likely). As @HansTrondheim said, 2nd person is usually seen in interactive novels, since readers can feel like they are the character and they are playing it with their poll choices.

As for reading, I don't really care as long as I enjoy the story, characters, events, etc. I don't feel uncomfortable with any. A poll should also have a natural option like "I don't really mind any", even though you added multiple choice.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Well, to be fair, I tried to wrote about a little girl so... Yeah. It gave me a pretty bad headache.
Link

Not everyone is able to properly jump into the shoes of the character they are writing to deeply imagine how their mind would work and start describing every scene from their eyes while considering all the possible reactions, etc., so there's nothing wrong with sticking to other narrations.

My writing style is quite wordy, so personally I don't find it that difficult, but on the other hand that can also be a bad thing, since there's a lot of dialogue and internal monologue in my 1st person work. Not a lot of people like the story where it's mostly talking.

TachimeSan

I personally make regular switches from first person narration to third person narration.

Like, most chapters will be narrated in third person, but some of them will be narrated in first person. I know it's kinda confusing, but so far, my readers have been receptive of it.

I mostly use first person whenever I want to show how a character's mind works, and then third person on the actual story, cause like, I find it very hard/weird to describe fight scenes in first person 😂 but that's just me.

PandaSempai

I personally make regular switches from first person narration to third person narration.

Like, most chapters will be narrated in third person, but some of them will be narrated in first person. I know it's kinda confusing, but so far, my readers have been receptive of it.

I mostly use first person whenever I want to show how a character's mind works, and then third person on the actual story, cause like, I find it very hard/weird to describe fight scenes in first person 😂 but that's just me.
Oh, hey! Thanks for the follow! 😂