Writing Which move sounds more powerful?

Which Move Sounds More Powerful?

• Total voters

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
I'm trying to think up more Mental Magic related spells for my MC. The first two that came into my head was a total shutdown of the opponent's nervous system, thus leaving them a lifeless husk.

The second was that the MC would pull his opponent into a, sort of dream world, where he controls everything. The dream world is modeled after the opponent's fears. The downside to this is that the opponent has to be restrained, since they struggle endlessly while the spell is being activated. Kinda like Dorothy Unsworth's Glamour World.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Definitely total shutdown. If you shut down someone's nervous system then they have no way of fighting back. with the dream world, there is still a chance for them to fight back. though if somewhere to overpower total shutdown then it would all depend on the MC's other abilities.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Dream World:
- sounds lame
- generic movie-in-a-movie type title
- awkward to say out loud

Total Shutdown:
- what the fuck that's so cool
- bro it sounds like a 1980s Ridley Scott film
- I just shaved my balls and after reading the title it's starting to grow hair again wtf

D

Deleted member 54065

I'm trying to think up more Mental Magic related spells for my MC. The first two that came into my head was a total shutdown of the opponent's nervous system, thus leaving them a lifeless husk.

The second was that the MC would pull his opponent into a, sort of dream world, where he controls everything. The dream world is modeled after the opponent's fears. The downside to this is that the opponent has to be restrained, since they struggle endlessly while the spell is being activated. Kinda like Dorothy Unsworth's Glamour World.
Two things:

If you want to physically torture your opponent, go for option 1. If you want to mentally scar him for life, option 2 is the good way to go.

Lorelliad

Definitely total shutdown. If you shut down someone's nervous system then they have no way of fighting back. with the dream world, there is still a chance for them to fight back. though if somewhere to overpower total shutdown then it would all depend on the MC's other abilities.
I'm not gonna convince you to change your vote, since I actually do agree that Total Shutdown is the stronger.

But do note that my MC controls anything inside the world. So there's really no fighting back if you allow him to catch you.

Paul_Tromba

I'm not gonna convince you to change your vote, since I actually do agree that Total Shutdown is the stronger.

But do note that my MC controls anything inside the world. So there's really no fighting back if you allow him to catch you.
True, but even if there's no use fighting back the requirements to use the dream world would hinder them greatly as they resist the spell simply by moving.

Lorelliad

True, but even if there's no use fighting back the requirements to use the dream world would hinder them greatly as they resist the spell simply by moving.
True true,

I might try to think up some more stuff to add to it to lessen the risks

Paul_Tromba

True true,

I might try to think up some more stuff to add to it to lessen the risks
Maybe try loosening the restrictions to make it so that it works on anyone he makes eye contact with but make it so that the longer he keeps them in the world the more power it consumes. Maybe making it so that when he runs out of power he starts taking damage. to be honest, this could also work with total shutdown but it would probably take up less power to keep it working.

Lorelliad

Maybe try loosening the restrictions to make it so that it works on anyone he makes eye contact

Oddly enough, this was the exact way my MC's eyes worked.

"The True Mind God's Control Eyes. A fragment of the omnipotent being, allowing for complete control over not only whoever he sets his sight on, but also oneself.

Absolute control, the pinnacle of Mental Magic."

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

The average total shutdown enjoyer (1) vs the average dream world fan (2)
D124FC9F-602F-4CC4-A0F7-4EE0C2514557.jpeg
6F9674A1-2C26-4DEF-A411-68EB2C71BA58.png

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Both sound stupid. Overload, Nerveral-shock, Red-Boots, Dorothy, La-La land.

But if you hate those name Total Overload is good eneogh, tsk

atgongumerki

to me at least, total shutdown does not sound like a mental attack.
unless you can also affect the subconsciousness with your version of mental magic.

Lorelliad

to me at least, total shutdown does not sound like a mental attack.
unless you can also affect the subconsciousness with your version of mental magic.
Well, I try to branch out from the simple "confusion" and "charm" stuff. It affects the brain, so for me it counts

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
No. 1 sounds like you force shutdowning a PC or pressing a pillow on someone.

No. 2 sounds like a generic shit that without context, I can make no sense of

BlackKnightX

Total Shutdown sounds really badass. It’s like you’re an admin fighting a normal player.

Lorelliad

No. 1 sounds like you force shutdowning a PC or pressing a pillow on someone.

No. 2 sounds like a generic shit that without context, I can make no sense of
Yeah, for no.2, I actually made it a unique spell that the MC had a long time ago.

He will attempt to break the "lock" of the person in question, in order to get into their memories. Then he brings that person into their happiest moment, and sort of strikes a deal. It's his way of gaining more subordinates. The MC has a goal too, so in exchange for their help, he helps them in return.

TLDR

MC uses enemy's memories to convince them to join him.

AnnonBee

Total shutdown sounds so chunni. But that is what we read the novel for.
However, if you want to use Dream world, let the MC say, "Dream". It would sound more like a command than a skill name and set the path for the MC OP persona. That single world would speak more than a hundred explanations. Just make it like 'Arise' from Solo leveling.
So 'Dream'.

Lorelliad

Total shutdown sounds so chunni. But that is what we read the novel for.
However, if you want to use Dream world, let the MC say, "Dream". It would sound more like a command than a skill name and set the path for the MC OP persona. That single world would speak more than a hundred explanations. Just make it like 'Arise' from Solo leveling.
So 'Dream'.
Lmao giving me flashbacks to how epic the word Arise was whenever Sung Jinwoo said it

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Yeah, for no.2, I actually made it a unique spell that the MC had a long time ago.

He will attempt to break the "lock" of the person in question, in order to get into their memories. Then he brings that person into their happiest moment, and sort of strikes a deal. It's his way of gaining more subordinates. The MC has a goal too, so in exchange for their help, he helps them in return.

TLDR

MC uses enemy's memories to convince them to join him.
So Shūkurō Tsukishima's Book of the End?

Like mindrape but actually making them happy.