Which word processer is best for writing?

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I usually use ms office 2019 professional but I want a word processor which will help me write stories easily. Any suggestions!

For the time being, I use Libre Office + LanguageTool Plugin(grammar check) + ngrams data (Google's data for common errors) + word2vec data (AI trained error detection)

starsmidnight

I use a paid app called Ulysses ($4.99/month) because I wanted to find a minimalistic writing app on my Mac. If you click full-screen, it's literally a blank screen except for the words that you've type (plus they have dark mode!)

The only cons I can say about Ulysses is that there's no word count so I don't really know when to stop writing :/ Most of the time I have to guess whether I've reached my average length. There's probably a setting to change that but I haven't fiddled with it enough. I once accidentally split my story into two and idk how to merge it back so I'm kinda scared to check it out.

Also, it's terrible for academic or office writing :blob_upset: I tried writing my thesis draft on it but it was just too ... lawless.

MajorKerina

Whatever thing makes you do the words fast. I write in Discord chat then import it over for storage. If I can find a free client which is basicaly Discord but works on mobile and laptops then Discord can die but I tend to collaborate and share, so that is a bonus.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I use a paid app called Ulysses ($4.99/month) because I wanted to find a minimalistic writing app on my Mac. If you click full-screen, it's literally a blank screen except for the words that you've type (plus they have dark mode!)

The only cons I can say about Ulysses is that there's no word count so I don't really know when to stop writing :/ Most of the time I have to guess whether I've reached my average length. There's probably a setting to change that but I haven't fiddled with it enough. I once accidentally split my story into two and idk how to merge it back so I'm kinda scared to check it out.

Also, it's terrible for academic or office writing :blob_upset: I tried writing my thesis draft on it but it was just too ... lawless.
Paying for less features huh, what can't business capitalise.

AkalE

Just use MSWord or Libre with some sort of cloud that's for your entire pc.

You don't need anything more fancy to write. Don't fall into the trap of going on Youtube to check writing software for authors. Thats BS. It's not the software thats holding you back. You just need to start writing mate.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
Nowadays, I literally just use the Scribblehub util for writing chapters. Since I have an autofill plugin, I don't usually lose it, and I just save draft every so often to make sure it doesn't disappear or I don't accidentally close it.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
MS Word and Google Docs are basically the exact same to me.

With the caveat that Docs is a lag hell while MS Word flows smoothly, so I use MS Word.

I agree 100%. I would use Docs but the lag spikes mess with me. I only use Docs when I'm working on a project with someone else. MS is my go too. Grammarly is my 2nd for editing.

starsmidnight

How about trying FocusWriter? It's free and tried its hardest to limit the distraction for the author.

Bonus point for typewriter sound effect.

Oh sweet! Thanks! I'll check it out :D

Typewriter sounds are basically ASMR for writers

LostinMovement

I use Calmlywriter. Both the online version for my laptop and the app version for my phone. It is distraction free, has an eggshell white background and uses a beautiful font. It gives you the option to save to your own library or to your google drive.

Capture.PNG

I also use good ol' Word when my internet is shitty and I don't want to rely on it.

amethystore

I think I'm using an application in the wrong way.
I use VS Code because now I'm also learning some programming and stuff, ahh ..., I use .md file extension. As for proofreading and grammar check, I rely on Grammarly-sensei whenever I upload a chapter.

anactualchad

I used to hate Word but found out they have a pretty simple outlining tool built in that has made all the difference for me.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
It's not that Word is bad, it's just that the time it takes for the laptop to load the damn thing in is just too long compared to simply clicking on a browser and going to recent tabs.

Hm... It's never bothered me that much?

anactualchad

I have patience bordering ADHD so loading times bite my ass pretty hard. If there's a faster alternative I'd go with it.
That's funny. I stopped using Google Docs because of how long it took to load in my tab sometimes.

For a while I was using WriteMonkey which is very light weight and has some cool features

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
I just lost a chapter to a cat attack. My cat jumped up on the keyboard managed to ctrl+a with her back paws and then delete with her front paw. I would have killed her if I wasn't too busy petting her to relieve the stress of losing my work. I realized at that moment there is no perfect writing software, only perfect writing spaces with doors that keep cats out.