Who else would love to see some SH and RR stories to be published as LNs and made as anime?

RavenWolf

I for sure. There are so many incredible good stories floating around here.

I used to read a lots of "real" books back in the days but these days I mainly read webnovels from different sites. I just can't get enough of webnovels. For me it seems like webnovels here and on other sites has much more interesting stories than books these days. Of course technically grammar is often lacking etc. but I don't mind that at all. For me webnovels seems to be like next evolution step in literature. Only webnovels are not very know in west but in East Asia they are insane popular.

I just would love to see the day when entertainment industry would take notice and started to make anime/animations from popular western webnovels. It is really sad that in here west our industry doesn't work like in Japan so we don't probably never see Netflix adapting webnovels as animation. So I started to think. Popular webnovellist here should translate their works to Syosetu. That way if they are lucky their story could get popular in Japan and that way we could see anime adaptation too!

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨

I used to read a lots of "real" books back in the days but these days I mainly read webnovels from different sites. I just can't get enough of webnovels. For me it seems like webnovels here and on other sites has much more interesting stories than books these days. Of course technically grammar is often lacking etc. but I don't mind that at all. For me webnovels seems to be like next evolution step in literature. Only webnovels are not very know in west but in East Asia they are insane popular.

I just would love to see the day when entertainment industry would take notice and started to make anime/animations from popular western webnovels. It is really sad that in here west our industry doesn't work like in Japan so we don't probably never see Netflix adapting webnovels as animation. So I started to think. Popular webnovellist here should translate their works to Syosetu. That way if they are lucky their story could get popular in Japan and that way we could see anime adaptation too!
You’re definitely not wrong, but considering the fact that League of Legends got its own series adaption— it’s a damn game— I’m sure that soon people will adapt webnovels into series of some sort. It’ll first start as webtoons probably (like how Omniscent reader is being adapted into a webtoon) and then maybe an anime and lastly live action?

Like if it’s anime you want, sure, maybe translate, but it’s not certain that it will be adapted. They’re very different from one another. Or wait for the west to have enough of an interest in the stylized art that is anime (it’ll happen soon). Seeing how major websites like Netflix want their slice of a pie, they’ll turn to making their own. Which they have. They’re just failing horribly. So maybe in a decade we’ll get good adaptations?

EternalSunset0

I think that's really a lot of people's dreams here. Although to be fair, only a mere fraction of stuff in Syosetsu get adapted. You see these five, ten adaptations every season or something but do remember that there are thousands of works in Syosetsu that never see the light of day in the form of a physical adaptation, whether it be books or anime/games. So it's still an uphill battle.

Still, it would be fun to see that happen.

Love the profile picture btw. Simp for Admi~

RavenWolf

You’re definitely not wrong, but considering the fact that League of Legends got its own series adaption— it’s a damn game— I’m sure that soon people will adapt webnovels into series of some sort. It’ll first start as webtoons probably (like how Omniscent reader is being adapted into a webtoon) and then maybe an anime and lastly live action?

Like if it’s anime you want, sure, maybe translate, but it’s not certain that it will be adapted. They’re very different from one another. Or wait for the west to have enough of an interest in the stylized art that is anime (it’ll happen soon). Seeing how major websites like Netflix want their slice of a pie, they’ll turn to making their own. Which they have. They’re just failing horribly. So maybe in a decade we’ll get good adaptations?
It might happen here someday. But west lack whole industry for making webnovels to anime. I mean syosetu that company publish popular webnovels as LN and share profit with author (I don't know what are terms in there). If it is popular enough they make anime of LN to promote sales of that LN. Anime is commercial for LN. In west there is nothing like that. Game of Thrones wasn't commercial for A Song of Ice and Fire. There is no incentive to do that because those who produce TV-series doesn't "own" rights to books so they don't get any profit if books sell better.
There is no single company who would be interested to do that. We don't have publisher which publish webnoves as books and we don't have book publisher who would even imagine to do TV-series of their own for it. Or figures, toys, calendars all that fan products. We don't have production committees here like anime industry have. West simply lack whole industry and I don't see that changing at all anytime soon.

On otherhand Japan do have that industry but they don't care about west nor western webnovels. Only way to get inside of that industry is syosetu. I'll bet that top anime like stories from SH or RR would be very popular on syosetu too.

Of course if there is some rich reading this he/she might get idea to form company who would start to buy rights to popular webnovels so he/she could start to publish them as LN/books. After that that company could make anime production too. But generally west just haven't figure this out. We have Disney which basically owns everything and nobody has not noticed here yet whole webnovel -> LN -> Anime scene. Disney could have muscles to pull something like this if they just had it in them to change.
---

Arcane was big change I would say for game industry but we have to remember it is South Korean company. Whole Eeast-Asia has used to make things like Riot Games do. Branding. It is not new thing per se. Just build brand and committee productions like anime industry is. Game industry is big big thing and they have muscles to produce TV-series for their games. Book industry doesn't.

Also about webtoons. We already have adaptation like Tower of God. But again Webtoon is South Korean company. West doesn't have anything like that.

Last edited:
For me webnovels seems to be like next evolution step in literature.
that's definitely a no-no my man. webnovels are like fastfood. they taste good but lack substance.

and you're missing a crucial step that comes before most animes: mangas. the more logical continuation is for a successful webnovel platform ( like rr ) to hire some slaves and branch into drawing, aka mangas and comics. then maybe you'd get enough publicity for a western anime studio (I don't know if those even exist) to notice you.

You’re definitely not wrong, but considering the fact that League of Legends got its own series adaption— it’s a damn game— I’m sure that soon people will adapt webnovels into series of some sort.
you're comparing a multi-billion dollar corporation to fledgling authors with nothing to their names. it's faulty comparison.

RavenWolf

I think that's really a lot of people's dreams here. Although to be fair, only a mere fraction of stuff in Syosetsu get adapted. You see these five, ten adaptations every season or something but do remember that there are thousands of works in Syosetsu that never see the light of day in the form of a physical adaptation, whether it be books or anime/games. So it's still an uphill battle.

I just checked that Syosetsu has 111,536 isekai stories and total 928,883 stories.

And thanks. I love too her~~ :D

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I might add some images to my already published books on Amazon at some point to turn them into actual Light Novels :v Someday, I might get a comic, who knows. That would be poggers. Self-published, though. No chance I get scouted or smth like that. So far, web novel, published novel, and audiobook were all my own initiative, kek.

RavenWolf

that's definitely a no-no my man. webnovels are like fastfood. they taste good but lack substance.

and you're missing a crucial step that comes before most animes: mangas. the more logical continuation is for a successful webnovel platform ( like rr ) to hire some slaves and branch into drawing, aka mangas and comics. then maybe you'd get enough publicity for a western anime studio (I don't know if those even exist) to notice you.

Well yes. We lack whole industry. To make profit they have to have lots of products to sell. LN, Manga/comics, soundtracks, drama CDs, plushies, Calendars, keyrings, figures, coffee mugs etc. We don't have idol Seiyuus here either but if we were smart we would use East-Asian industry to produce our anime. We lack everything. That is why I don't see that we will start to adapt webnovels either. That is why it would be super important to go to Japan via Syosetu.

I have to say it is really strange that west lacks all these. Anime industry have been around like forever and it is mind-blowing that west has not copied the concept yet. My wager is that it just have to be that boomer mentality which most CEOs hold here. That animation is for children.
I might add some images to my already published books on Amazon at some point to turn them into actual Light Novels :v Someday, I might get a comic, who knows. That would be poggers. Self-published, though. No chance I get scouted or smth like that. So far, web novel, published novel, and audiobook were all my own initiative, kek.

Self-publishing is all and right but that won't lead to anime because Japanese publisher doesn't benefit from it.

Last edited:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Cartoons: Am I a joke to you?

Western Animation: Literally exists.

Wattpad Webnovel Adaptations to Movies: Also exists.

Comic Adaptations to Movies/Cartoons: Exists as well.

Crunchyroll and Netflix Adaptations: We don’t talk about those shameful jokes... but they exist nonetheless.

Honeyfeed Webnovel to be Adapted to a Manga: Also to happen.

Webnovel(the site) Contracted Web Novels from Western Authors to Web Comics: Exist as well.

Last edited:

Kazesenken

The west in general lacks an industrial equivalent to LN companies in Japan. LNs started off as pulp fiction that was often common in the convention space, which as you know, is super marketized in Japan (Comiket being the biggest one). The West simply didn't develop any parallel to that, so there's really no companies that publish things similar to LNs.

No middle ground, so there's no way to jump from english WNs to some kind of publishing firm. Traditional publishers simply won't take the risk. Also, Syosetu actually does not publish the novels themselves. LN companies actually have gone around and scouted popular webnovels from that site, extending publishing offers to the authors without Syosetu's involvement. It's become such a regular thing that some companies have created their own webnovel sites, like Kadokawa did with Kakuyomu. But of course, they often just blindly pluck popular stories and dump them on their editors to fix up all the amateur writing (which they barely have time for). It's one of the big reasons people now believe that LN quality is pretty bad.

Japanese companies are also very anal about not accepting submissions from foreigners, so that kills the chances of an anime happening. And despite what one guy said above, there's quite a few LN now that are adapted straight to anime. Adaptations to manga first were a necessary thing in the past, but there's really no need for that anymore since LNs have become more popularly associated with anime now.
Honeyfeed Webnovel to be a Adapted to a Manga: Also to happen.

Haha. I was part of that contest and made it to Semifinalist. And then... found out it was a damn social media popularity/vote harvesting contest.

EternalSunset0

Haha. I was part of that contest and made it to Semifinalist. And then... found out it was a damn social media popularity/vote harvesting contest.
I always thought that thing seemed to be a sham. Was it legit, though? I felt it's all too vague when I saw it, and there's probably lots of fine print clauses going on.

Kazesenken

I always thought that thing seemed to be a sham. Was it legit, though? I felt it's all too vague when I saw it, and there's probably lots of fine print clauses going on.
I think they were making an honest effort in making it a good contest. However, the whole "webnovel to manga adaptation" thing is still a BIG if. That's because all they plan to do is translate the winning novels and submit them to Kodansha. Supposedly, Kodansha is somewhat on board with it, but as typical Japanese business fashion, it's hard to tell if they really care to adapt anything that won.

Since it was a first of its kind, they ran into a lot of hiccups. As most people know, the whole sketchy ownership thing that they revised later. People were worried that they were going to steal them and sell them like Webnovel or something. But Honeyfeed itself doesn't monetize their novels normally. All of us kept the rights to our works regardless, so now I know some people that are working towards self-publishing their contest entries.

The whole semifinal voting itself was pretty bad. They had a live voting count which anyone could see. So there were people that went around everywhere begging for votes to jump ahead. A few of the rounds seemed to have some vote fixing, where people seemed to purposefully cause ties to make it hard for which novels to advance. They got rid of the live count for the finals, so that was a big improvement. So yeah, it was all a bit of a mess, but it was borne out of inexperience. Hopefully, they fix the issues next time.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I could see it. I personally don't feel like viewing the same story in different formats, but then again, I would like to see my fanfic turned into a continuation of the anime, so there's that.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

I've seen people say an anime of my first story would be great...but really fucking bonkers.

They even agreed on the opening being Jump Around from House of Pain. Was funny.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Yes.

Attachments

• D87E209A-5B23-4404-976F-87512821B9FA.png
    D87E209A-5B23-4404-976F-87512821B9FA.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 44

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Long running World Keeper anime with like a billion different characters.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Honeyfeed Webnovel to be a Adapted to a Manga: Also to happen.
It's a crapshoot, that contest. It's basically a popularity contest and though they prohibit advertising SOLELY for votes, they don't really go looking out for loopholes.

Plus, I've looked into the TnC. They're outsourcing their artist. Fingers crossed that they don't last beyond a first volume before getting axed.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
It's a crapshoot, that contest. It's basically a popularity contest and though they prohibit advertising SOLELY for votes, they don't really go looking out for loopholes.
Literally everything is a popularity contest though whether you like it or not. Trending on SH and RR are just that, popularity contests. If something isn’t popular, it’s not going to sell well, that’s just facts. If there’s no money to be made, what business trying to turn a profit is going to invest time and money into producing a manga or anime of a particular story?

From a business perspective, it really doesn’t matter how good the story is if it can’t gather a large audience to talk about it which is in essence the act of a popularity contest. What people want isn’t what’s good or what’s good for them, it’s a quick fix to get them feeling high, to get some dopamine and adrenaline pumping.

The masses want junk food. It makes them feel good despite it not being good for them. Since that’s what’s in high demand(popular), that’s what they’ll aim to produce. That’s just how business works.

If an author was able to convince people to vote for their work, regardless of the means, then they’ve got the networking ability to sell their work. That’s what really matters. Can it sell? That’s the question every businessman will ask themselves first and foremost.