Who else would love to see some SH and RR stories to be published as LNs and made as anime?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Literally everything is a popularity contest though whether you like it or not. Trending on SH and RR are just that, popularity contests. If something isn’t popular, it’s not going to sell well, that’s just facts. If there’s no money to be made, what business trying to turn a profit is going to invest time and money into producing a manga or anime of a particular story?

From a business perspective, it really doesn’t matter how good the story is if it can’t gather a large audience to talk about it which is in essence the act of a popularity contest. What people want isn’t what’s good or what’s good for them, it’s a quick fix to get them feeling high, to get some dopamine and adrenaline pumping.

The masses want junk food. It makes them feel good despite it not being good for them. Since that’s what’s in high demand(popular), that’s what they’ll aim to produce. That’s just how business works.

If an author was able to convince people to vote for their work, regardless of the means, then they’ve got the networking ability to sell their work. That’s what really matters. Can it sell? That’s the question every businessman will ask themselves first and foremost.
the big difference between this popularity contest and every OTHER popularity contest is that this is dictated by one small corner of the internet where the main market demographic ISN'T represented. given the circumstances, Honeyfeed is trying to submit a work to a publishing company to turn it into a manga and the only way they have to choose a representative is by asking that that small corner of the internet to do it for them, AND since THAT corner of the internet is niche as fuck, it's gonna be inevitable that rigging and personal favours will get involved.

yeah sure, it's a popularity contest, but the "popularity" isn't at all popular. it's a circlejerk, and whoever comes out with the most smegma gets sent up to a publishing firm where their marketing department isn't some author with a bigger following base than the other guy. and since they're trying to turn a WEBNOVEL into a MANGA, there's gonna be a whole lot more on the line.

as I said, it's a crapshoot. if you want to appeal to the masses, you first need THE masses themselves. Honeyfeed's userbase isn't the masses. hell, they're barely established as a webnovel host. the "high demand" in question is niche, and the voting system just reinforces that. in all honesty, they should've shortlisted a handful of novels based on views and genres and submitted them to a marketing team where they'll further filter them to select one. doing a "let the public vote for it" stunt is just gonna cost you much if the most prominent representative of your "public" is a guy with a decent member list on discord.

whether will it sell or not is up to the actual businessmen in question, and as far as I'm concerned, a poorly regulated popularity contest isn't business in my eyes.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
the big difference between this popularity contest and every OTHER popularity contest is that this is dictated by one small corner of the internet where the main market demographic ISN'T represented. given the circumstances, Honeyfeed is trying to submit a work to a publishing company to turn it into a manga and the only way they have to choose a representative is by asking that that small corner of the internet to do it for them, AND since THAT corner of the internet is niche as fuck, it's gonna be inevitable that rigging and personal favours will get involved.

yeah sure, it's a popularity contest, but the "popularity" isn't at all popular. it's a circlejerk, and whoever comes out with the most smegma gets sent up to a publishing firm where their marketing department isn't some author with a bigger following base than the other guy. and since they're trying to turn a WEBNOVEL into a MANGA, there's gonna be a whole lot more on the line.

as I said, it's a crapshoot. if you want to appeal to the masses, you first need THE masses themselves. Honeyfeed's userbase isn't the masses. hell, they're barely established as a webnovel host. the "high demand" in question is niche, and the voting system just reinforces that. in all honesty, they should've shortlisted a handful of novels based on views and genres and submitted them to a marketing team where they'll further filter them to select one. doing a "let the public vote for it" stunt is just gonna cost you much if the most prominent representative of your "public" is a guy with a decent member list on discord.

whether will it sell or not is up to the actual businessmen in question, and as far as I'm concerned, a poorly regulated popularity contest isn't business in my eyes.
Yet that’s how business goes. They look at the numbers, not the process. If the numbers are perceived to be big enough, a businessman may take the bait. There is such a thing as perceived popularity. If people beleive it to be popular they will swarm to it like flies. The vocal minority often are the ones who can make things happen if they scream loud enough about something. The silent majority simply stand by and watch as the vocal minority gets their way. It’s all simple politics in the end.

expentio

Some time ago I saw that Celeste academy (a story I once started on RR but never continued) got a manga. So it can happen.
Personally, I'd really love to see my characters in picture.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Yet that’s how business goes. They look at the numbers, not the process. If the numbers are perceived to be big enough, a businessman may take the bait. There is such a thing as perceived popularity. If people beleive it to be popular they will swarm to it like flies. The vocal minority often are the ones who can make things happen if they scream loud enough about something. The silent majority simply stand by and watch as the vocal minority gets their way. It’s all simple politics in the end.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's just that in the context that we're talking about successful adaptations of webnovels, I wouldn't include Honeyfeed's contest in the conversation. As I've stated before, with the circumstances given, I'll be surprised if they lasted to a whole volume.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I for sure. There are so many incredible good stories floating around here.
Well, light novels is pretty much a niche industry as most are going towards publishing on the web. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next decade or 2, both manga and light novels end up being digital only.

I used to read a lots of "real" books back in the days but these days I mainly read webnovels from different sites. I just can't get enough of webnovels. For me it seems like webnovels here and on other sites has much more interesting stories than books these days. Of course technically grammar is often lacking etc. but I don't mind that at all. For me webnovels seems to be like next evolution step in literature. Only webnovels are not very know in west but in East Asia they are insane popular.
More like de-evolution in literature lol. But all seriousness aside, light novels by nature are entertainment books. Aka, comparable to US teen novels. Web novels are the evolution of this, but not the actual novels that aim to progress literature. Different audiences.

And it goes without saying as younger generation becomes less and less familiar with this weird thing called paper. We will see everything go digital given time. With paper copies being collectibles at best.

But I doubt the literature community publishing would move ever.

I just would love to see the day when entertainment industry would take notice and started to make anime/animations from popular western webnovels. It is really sad that in here west our industry doesn't work like in Japan so we don't probably never see Netflix adapting webnovels as animation. So I started to think. Popular webnovellist here should translate their works to Syosetu. That way if they are lucky their story could get popular in Japan and that way we could see anime adaptation too!
The thing is quite complicated. You see, many reasons why the anime industry is even living is due to Japanese government support. With intention of spreading Japanese culture around the world. This gives them more tourists and better overall image in the world in negotiations. Korea and China are similarly following to a lesser extent.

Which means they are less likely to be interested in works outside japan. Even translated. You would have to literally have someone in japan pretend they are you to pull it off. And even if you do pull it off, 99% it would be half assed anime and not one they put effort in.

The only point where US webnovels had a chance to be animated was Crunchyroll, which went out the window the moment Sony bought them. Just like them working on Korean novels into anime.

Now since korean companies are picking up US webnovels and making them into manga. Maybe, if they ever plan to go into anime, there is a possibility, but so far it seems slim.

Lastly, as for US picking them up... yeah, that will be the day. The US entertainment industry is locked up as it can be. I mean that should be obvious where pretty much comics are non-existent in US. Dominated by superhero genre which is also in itself dying. It only gets a 2nd wind due to the movies, but that is about it. US probably doesn't even have experienced artists that make animation to pull it off. All the animation has been exported abroad. Not to mention the cost. I mean it takes a million dollars to make a season. And this is with the artists being paid below minimum wage.

The only way you would see stuff animated, is doing it yourself and 3d.

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
I mean, someone could try to approach some studios to try and get a anime made from their light novel story, but they would have to be proactive and face a lot of rejection before actually managing to pull it off, most western place demand more proactiveness for this stuff

RavenWolf

Well, light novels is pretty much a niche industry as most are going towards publishing on the web. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next decade or 2, both manga and light novels end up being digital only.

More like de-evolution in literature lol. But all seriousness aside, light novels by nature are entertainment books. Aka, comparable to US teen novels. Web novels are the evolution of this, but not the actual novels that aim to progress literature. Different audiences.

And it goes without saying as younger generation becomes less and less familiar with this weird thing called paper. We will see everything go digital given time. With paper copies being collectibles at best.

But I doubt the literature community publishing would move ever.

The thing is quite complicated. You see, many reasons why the anime industry is even living is due to Japanese government support. With intention of spreading Japanese culture around the world. This gives them more tourists and better overall image in the world in negotiations. Korea and China are similarly following to a lesser extent.

Which means they are less likely to be interested in works outside japan. Even translated. You would have to literally have someone in japan pretend they are you to pull it off. And even if you do pull it off, 99% it would be half assed anime and not one they put effort in.

The only point where US webnovels had a chance to be animated was Crunchyroll, which went out the window the moment Sony bought them. Just like them working on Korean novels into anime.

Now since korean companies are picking up US webnovels and making them into manga. Maybe, if they ever plan to go into anime, there is a possibility, but so far it seems slim.

Lastly, as for US picking them up... yeah, that will be the day. The US entertainment industry is locked up as it can be. I mean that should be obvious where pretty much comics are non-existent in US. Dominated by superhero genre which is also in itself dying. It only gets a 2nd wind due to the movies, but that is about it. US probably doesn't even have experienced artists that make animation to pull it off. All the animation has been exported abroad. Not to mention the cost. I mean it takes a million dollars to make a season. And this is with the artists being paid below minimum wage.

The only way you would see stuff animated, is doing it yourself and 3d.

Sure. In future everything is going to digital. I agree fully. That is the future.

I'm just sad that we don't see anime from western webnovels. I have read few which could have been written someone from Japan. Those stories could theoretically be successful in Japan.

I would do anime myself if I were rich like Elon Musk. I mean then I could create anime company and start producing anime from interesting sources. I wouldn't even have to care if it is profitable! But honestly, I think our only hope is technological progress. Progress which could make anime creation progress so cheap and easy that small companies or groups with small funds could create them. I mean technology is making whole progress cheaper and cheaper. Just like it enabled us to write webnovels free.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
They even agreed on the opening being Jump Around from House of Pain. Was funny.
Holy fucking shit dude!!! I would tune into that just to see ANYTHING done alongside that beautiful classic of a song!!!
More like de-evolution in literature lol.
Yes. The number of people wanting a "well-told story" is growing smaller and smaller by the day. Nowadays, people balk at spending even a paragraph to set a scene. Everyone wants that immediate burst of joy that the drooling entertainment masses get when they see explosions and blood and guts and nudity in films....except this also now includes people who read novels. Attention spans and patience are declining, and so with it, the quality in literature. Less and less people are asking for well-crafted worlds. They want something to give them a kick-in-the-teeth dopamine smack, and if it happens to be a poorly told story but still crammed pack with well-written kick-ass action scenes, then most will still be okay with that.

Literature is declining in quality because people are losing the ability to wait for the payoff. They want the juicy bits right then and now and if they don't get it, they whine about "tOo MuCh DeScRiPtIoNs", or whatever other nonsense it is that dared to keep them away from their feels-good fix. As popular as the Wheel of Time or LOTR series were, I don't think they would be popular at all with today's teens and young adults due to the descriptive detail in the writing. They only got popular today because there was already at least one generation before them to convince them to give these works a try. I don't see much more hope for similar Epic Fantasy in the future due to the number of people willing to wipe the drool from their chins declining drastically.

But then again, pulp-fiction in the '20s and on up until the '50s was fairly popular and quite a few series of the genre are now considered American classics. Or at least extremely popular, Conan the Barbarian is a prime example. I mean I think Robert E. Howard was a borderline Tolkien-esque genius for all the time and thought he put into his Hyborean Age Lore, much of which never made it into his novels. Just like a lot of Tolkien's lore remained only in his encyclopedias rather than in his novels. But I think that era of writing and literature is dead and gone, or at least we're seeing it's last rays of light vanish over the horizon. It's still there a little, but it's quickly fading. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see how.

I mean this site alone is an interesting example of my point. The number of people in past threads who have said they want"short and concise" wording, which is basically a more polite way of saying "skip the details and gimme the boom-boom now please?"

Last edited:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Sure. In future everything is going to digital. I agree fully. That is the future.

I'm just sad that we don't see anime from western webnovels. I have read few which could have been written someone from Japan. Those stories could theoretically be successful in Japan.

I would do anime myself if I were rich like Elon Musk. I mean then I could create anime company and start producing anime from interesting sources. I wouldn't even have to care if it is profitable! But honestly, I think our only hope is technological progress. Progress which could make anime creation progress so cheap and easy that small companies or groups with small funds could create them. I mean technology is making whole progress cheaper and cheaper. Just like it enabled us to write webnovels free.
Elon Musk isn't as rich as people believe he is, in reality, he is probably poorer than you. All he has is lots of stock value and he makes enough money for investors with his success that they are willing to give him access to millions in credit. Otherwise, personally he is hundreds of millions in debt and no real way to sell his stock.

Technological progress may make things easier. But at that point, wouldn't pretty much everything become an anime and content would end up saturated. Thus we would end up being more picky with our expectations. Like 1980s anime graphics simply don't cut it anymore. In the future, anime may transition to AR/VR anime where it feels like you are literally standing there as an observer. At that point, would we be satisfied with old fashioned 2d anime on a monitor?

Elon Musk isn't as rich as people believe he is, in reality, he is probably poorer than you. All he has is lots of stock value and he makes enough money for investors with his success that they are willing to give him access to millions in credit. Otherwise, personally he is hundreds of millions in debt and no real way to sell his stock.
that sounds like complete bullshit

Discount_Blade

He paid 11 billion dollars in taxes for the year 2021. Not lying, look it up. And that's just pocket change to him. He made 121 billion dollars in just 2021 alone. And this is solely under Tesla, this isn't even mentioning the other places he owns and works/accumulates wealth through. He and Jeff Bezos are neck and neck for the richest person in the world with some guy named Arnault trailing behind the two of them for 3rd place.

Inv is right. Elon Musk isn't rich. Rich isn't a strong enough word to describe his level of financial security.

He paid 11 billion dollars in taxes for the year 2021. Not lying, look it up. And that's just pocket change to him. He made 121 billion dollars in just 2021 alone. And this is solely under Tesla, this isn't even mentioning the other places he owns and works/accumulates wealth through. He and Jeff Bezos are neck and neck for the richest person in the world with some guy named Arnault trailing behind the two of them for 3rd place.

Inv is right. Elon Musk isn't rich. Rich isn't a strong enough word to describe his level of financial security.

He paid 11 billion dollars in taxes for the year 2021. Not lying, look it up. And that's just pocket change to him.
Inv is right.

Elon Musk isn't as rich as people believe he is, in reality, he is probably poorer than you.

edit: woops i got it now. i get slow when i eat too much

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

I think people just misunderstand how weird our financial system is so they take too much at face value. What Musk is rich in is in stock. Sure he made 121 billion in 1 year, in stock going up in value and stock options. Or more accurately, he had stock options over multiple years that he exercised before they expire.

Stock options for those who don't know lets you purchase stock at X price. And the 11 billion he paid was taxes on those stock options (cause government likes their money in advance). He didn't have the money to pay taxes (cause as I said, he is poorer than most people think), so he had to sell stock to pay taxes.

Now don't get me wrong, he is quite financially secure. But his cash on hand is virtually non-existent, he is mostly paying off loans on his debts. And this isn't uncommon for many "rich" people to be virtually living on a credit line with their name and assets as collateral. So he can't exactly throw around money on dead money losing projects as people think. Most of his cash probably comes from SpaceX since his salary at Tesla is $0. Well, he could just add it to his debt.

I think people just misunderstand how weird our financial system is so they take too much at face value. What Musk is rich in is in stock. Sure he made 121 billion in 1 year, in stock going up in value and stock options. Or more accurately, he had stock options over multiple years that he exercised before they expire.

Stock options for those who don't know lets you purchase stock at X price. And the 11 billion he paid was taxes on those stock options (cause government likes their money in advance). He didn't have the money to pay taxes (cause as I said, he is poorer than most people think), so he had to sell stock to pay taxes.

Now don't get me wrong, he is quite financially secure. But his cash on hand is virtually non-existent, he is mostly paying off loans on his debts. And this isn't uncommon for many "rich" people to be virtually living on a credit line with their name and assets as collateral. So he can't exactly throw around money on dead money losing projects as people think. Most of his cash probably comes from SpaceX since his salary at Tesla is $0. Well, he could just add it to his debt.

no one successful throws money on dead projects. it usually goes through multiple teams first. elon doesn't have liquid cash, but he can still spend millions, possibly billions, at will. and if i remember correctly, billionaires and multi-millionaires buy stock to avoid heavy taxation. also he can just shill some shit currency and make a couple of millions again. but i'll hand it to you, i fell for the bait

Discount_Blade

no one successful throws money on dead projects. it usually goes through multiple teams first. elon doesn't have liquid cash, but he can still spend millions, possibly billions, at will. and if i remember correctly, billionaires and multi-millionaires buy stock to avoid heavy taxation. also he can just shill some shit currency and make a couple of millions again. but i'll hand it to you, i fell for the bait
I don't see the point of continuing this since it'll get stupidly heated over nothing. Money is money. Arguing about its form is useless semantics when the spending power is the same either way. Inv isn't getting it. Weird discussion this is.

I don't see the point of continuing this since it'll get stupidly heated over nothing. Money is money. Arguing about its form is useless semantics when the spending power is the same either way. Inv isn't getting it. Weird discussion this is.
there is no discussion actually. all three of us are saying the same thing

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
there is no discussion actually. all three of us are saying the same thing
“First, it was revealed that the Tesla and SpaceX CEO had no money (which we sort of already knew). In a court filing related to the defamation case last month, Musk told lawyers representing Unsworth that he was “financially illiquid” and had no cash pay the $75,000 in damages demanded by the plaintiff.”

Just a random bit of info in an article from a defamation case about two years ago. So it’s not unfounded to say he’s broke in a certain sense. Now if he went and sold his assets though... well whatever, who even cares?

But pretty smart actually. Just be a broke billionaire and you can shit talk online all you want without worry of being sued as long as you say you’re too poor to pay.

Last edited:
“First, it was revealed that the Tesla and SpaceX CEO had no money (which we sort of already knew). In a court filing related to the defamation case last month, Musk told lawyers representing Unsworth that he was “financially illiquid” and had no cash pay the $75,000 in damages demanded by the plaintiff.”

Just a random bit of info in an article from a defamation case about two years ago. So it’s not unfounded to say he’s broke in a certain sense. Now if he went and sold his assets though... well whatever, who even cares?
he could be technically broke, but if he liquified a fraction of his assets, he'd be able to pay a few countries' debts. which is what everyone is saying. anyways, I really don't like le quirky reletable billionaire