Why am I so bad at games?

minacia

perpetually sour
Clickbait title! (...I'm so sorry... but it is kind of true)

Okay, so most of my friends all play games and stuff but for some reason I'm not really into games...

Like I've struggled to play a couple games (and I actually own a bunch!), but I rarely play anything I buy for more than an hour... The only game I ever completed was Mario Sunshine when I was in high school, but even then it mostly my friends finishing it for me lol.......... Like I also had Twilight Princess and Okami but I think my friends borrowed them and never gave it back (although it's not like I ever really played it either...)

Can somebody explain why this happens to me?

Am I cursed?

Why am I unable to get into games...?

How do I find a game that I'll actually play...?

Wohendum-Bluu

When Blue Just Isn't Quite Blue Enough

Okay, so most of my friends all play games and stuff but for some reason I'm not really into games...

Like I've struggled to play a couple games (and I actually own a bunch!), but I rarely play anything I buy for more than an hour... The only game I ever completed was Mario Sunshine when I was in high school, but even then it mostly my friends finishing it for me lol.......... Like I also had Twilight Princess and Okami but I think my friends borrowed them and never gave it back (although it's not like I ever really played it either...)

Am I cursed?

I don't know how good I am, I only know I don't have the patience to play any FromSoftware games. I love the lore and have spent a lot of time reading through the wiki's, but I broke 2 different controllers on playing Bloodborne alone in the first 4 days of me trying to "gitgud" at it. I dislike games that are hard and play everything on Easy difficulty. Guess that makes me an uber-casual gamer.

minacia

perpetually sour
I dislike games that are hard and play everything on Easy difficulty. Guess that makes me an uber-casual gamer.
Oh, maybe I'm casual too!

I play go (the board game) and frequently play against the easiest AI because I like to win :blob_no:

Wohendum-Bluu

When Blue Just Isn't Quite Blue Enough
Oh, maybe I'm casual too!

I play go (the board game) and frequently play against the easiest AI because I like to win :blob_no:
Not a bad thing. Some people are looking for a challenge, or they are just masochists, (looking at you Soulsborne-game players) and others like us just want to relax and have fun. If I'm getting beat over and over, it's just not relaxing or fun for me. Day to day life is a challenge, why seek it in games that are meant to be a downtime for you also?

minacia

perpetually sour
You can watch different game genres in Youtube gameplays!
But stay away from hololive, it is an endless pit...
/(>.<)\
Sometimes I watch let's plays (and sometimes I buy a game after watching one), but even so I rarely play much of it on my own :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

ArcanePunkster

Mostly it comes down to time consuming for a lot of people just to finish a video game. Final Fantasy 10 for the main story alone is like 100 hours

Jessie_Emilyn

I think the thing about games is finding ones you like. Tastes can shift a lot but if you are not enjoying a certain type try something else. It is partly practice but also just like sports if you are not inclined towards them you won't be as good (reactions etc).

A lot of it is about mentality too. I am a casual gamer, that for me means I am playing often in a relaxed manner most of the time. I can play games like dark souls but I am not going crazy throwing myself at a brick wall but doing it in the way that is fun for me. I generally play games where I can set the pace. Another thing to consider is if it is real time or turn based etc. That can make a large difference and my main advice is try many things. Social gaming works well, you just so happen to play whatever game because you are playing with a friend, you are playing for fun in a relaxed manner as a more social interaction that just so happens to be this or that game.

It is like if you keep playing a set type of game that is too fast pace for you then you get burnt out and don't enjoy it but actually if it was just a bit slower pace maybe you would have really enjoyed it and so my advice is just to explore more things, maybe with friends but also maybe just alone so you can set the pace.

OneRanter

Southern Unorthodox MaskMaker
Sometimes I watch let's plays (and sometimes I buy a game after watching one), but even so I rarely play much of it on my own :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
But don't buy them then! xD
Try the free samples first! \(x.x)/

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Sounds like more of a blessing than a curse. Games can suck your life force.

OneRanter

Southern Unorthodox MaskMaker
Hold up....free samples? Where???????
Steam lets you download and play some games for free in a limited time. It is random and chaotic but you can test them.
There are also other games that let you play a part for free and lock the rest behind a paywall (like starcraft 2, where the multiplayer and the first campaign are free but the other campaigns and extra content are paid).

There are giveaways all the time from official companies, usually when they want to sell you a dlc or a secuel to an old game.

This page tracks some.

I can't help it! I see a trailer and an unnamed goose looks cool so I buy it... but then a few weeks later I never play it again...
Ugh, that has no solution xD

Last edited:

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
There is not many good games out there, most of them are just money grabbers

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.

Am I cursed?

How do I find a game that I'll actually play...?
Snt dat ok?
Like.
Games s a hobby like any others.
Someone no like books.
Someone no enjoy movies.
Someone no like...lets say hiking.
And so ure not really into games.
At least u no hate em.

Maybe someday yall find fomething dat could be liked but for dat it is needed to play a lot and yar start s kinda late so not a good decision to waste yar time searching for games dat yar into while yar no into games overall.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Strangely enough, I have something similar. It's not that I don't like games but I'm just not good at them. I usually do a bunch of random stuff (like, I can use hours to just travel around and look at the world, go fishing or gather herbs to refine potions) but never really finish the main storyline. I think it's just a matter of preference. I don't actually mind though. As long as I had fun doing that random stuff, the game was worth its money. I'll also admit to buying almost everything only when it's on sale :blob_sweat: