Why are there so few video game fanfics?

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Video games are fanfics. You usually have multiple routes to approach a problem or multiple story branches. Other media have only one branch. So it leaves people thirsty for some interactivity.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
There are some really great games you could potentially write great fanfics of. Without even being fanfics, just (obvious inspirations).

I'm actually tempted to write an Ar Tonelico "fanfic", as this series has about everything Iike and then some.

Post-apocalyptic medieval fantasy, ancient super technology, a unique world, song magic based on the mental state of mind of the singer (and the technology to influence the minds) and songs with their own (actually working) language.

Thinking about it most of the stuff I'm planning to write is inspired by the games I love.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I do have a story for the Starcraft universe and was brainstorming on different ideas. One being a hybrid, a terran that commands 3 races to battle different planets from an unknown monster and has to upgrade, evolve and unite each race and use a synergy between them to fight in like a coop RTS where one man controls 2 races at a time.
One of the first things I remember writing was a terrible Starcraft fanfic that ended up being almost identical to the plot of Starcraft 2 when it came out. No point in doing the same thing twice, so I moved on.

I did end up with two new ideas after YouTube recommended me the Deathless playthroughs though.
A super Archon composed of all four Protoss factions versus a super strong Maar type Hybrid who thought that the Protoss were the flaw that Amon wanted to remove and thought the Terran were a better replacement, with the success of certain notable Terran/Zerg hybrids as evidence that he was right.

And a more boring reincarnator isekai 'Oh, I know this setting!' thing. A Gestalt hybrid created by the Confederacy or Dominion and changing the plot of the whole universe by meeting up with Raynor and Tassadar before the death of Zasz.

Honestly, it's been killing me because all of the time I should have been spending to daydream about the story I'm actually writing went towards expanding those two stories that I'll never write.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
One of the first things I remember writing was a terrible Starcraft fanfic that ended up being almost identical to the plot of Starcraft 2 when it came out. No point in doing the same thing twice, so I moved on.

I did end up with two new ideas after YouTube recommended me the Deathless playthroughs though.
A super Archon composed of all four Protoss factions versus a super strong Maar type Hybrid who thought that the Protoss were the flaw that Amon wanted to remove and thought the Terran were a better replacement, with the success of certain notable Terran/Zerg hybrids as evidence that he was right.

And a more boring reincarnator isekai 'Oh, I know this setting!' thing. A Gestalt hybrid created by the Confederacy or Dominion and changing the plot of the whole universe by meeting up with Raynor and Tassadar before the death of Zasz.

Honestly, it's been killing me because all of the time I should have been spending to daydream about the story I'm actually writing went towards expanding those two stories that I'll never write.
Mine is kinda separate from the whole timeline or just the future event after 2.

Its starts with a Terran thats been fighting with a protoss army from sometime now, trying to kick the protoss out of the planet due to the protoss making them slaves or something like that. The protoss found the terrans to have psychic energy which when harvested, boost up their powers or something like that. The taldarim protoss uses this discovery to get stronger and would challenge the hierarch when they are strong enough.

Soon, the terran forces are running thin since not only they were low on supplies, but they couldn't even get help from other planets.

In desperation, they used an experiment that uses zerg DNA to form a connection to the zerg and control them to fight the protoss.

That subject is the MC and as time passes while fighting the protoss, an unknown enemy would appear which both decided to team up and fight the enemy.

The MC can command the terran and zerg forces but he cannot do both since his connection with the zerg grows stronger as he uses them and he would slowly lose his humanity if he continues.

While he is superior in commanding an army, he mostly use terran forces to fight but only uses zerg when in dire desperation.

As to how he could command the protoss army, it was to the point where his mind can't keep up with the zerg DNA that slowly enroached him, in desperation, he injected himself with protoss DNA which forms a unique transformation where his mind is clear and could connect to both zerg and protoss army at the same time.

But it would only commands them like like his own terran army which he balances out the three races in their superior advantages.

When he needs to act in a guerilla fight, he uses terrans for hit and run tactics.

When he needs a large army fast, he uses zerg to rush the enemy.

When he needs superior firepower, he commands the protoss.

I think that was my idea but its only on the rough edges and never been polished since I still have plotholes to fill and settings to cover in the story.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
In desperation, they used an experiment that uses zerg DNA to form a connection to the zerg and control them to fight the protoss.
As to how he could command the protoss army, it was to the point where his mind can't keep up with the zerg DNA that slowly enroached him, in desperation, he injected himself with protoss DNA which forms a unique transformation where his mind is clear and could connect to both zerg and protoss army at the same time.
Tbh, this sort of thing was the reason I gave up my original idea as childish. Treating the other factions like (unstable) superpowers instead of their own characters is no good.

Instead of making your MC the sole focus of the world, give the Protoss a reason to willingly team up with them. Use the already present tools like Psi Emitters or Domination spells to control the Zerg. (Or just fully turn the MC into an Infested Terran.)

Mixing Protoss and Zerg DNA should probably be fatal, at least without the assistance of one of Amon's servants or a serious universe altering goal. Either way, it's not something that should be done lightly.

More importantly, you mentioned the Coop campaign before. If you really want that, then having a commander for each faction will be better than putting everything on one person. The efforts the commanders make to work together or against each other should be a major part of a coop story.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I’ve scrolled through the fan fiction tag/ranking a few times and noticed there are almost no video games fanfics. Like, I can’t be the only one who thinks a fallout fanfic sounds at least a little interesting.
Uhn... Ever tried entering the Magical World of Touhou~?

Videogame fanfics are more popular than you imagine~

This idea alone is amazingly amazing just because...wut?

To have it actually done tho...I'm skeptical. I mean, just for Tetris...the triangle pieces declared war on the squares?
It all started as just a big misunderstanding. The Squares of Solitude were massing troops on their western border. All for 'training exercises' they said. Nothing more than a show of their sovereign rights. But the Alliance of Bent Blocks knew the bitter truth: the Solitude had long-converted the neutral lands of the Triangle Treatise. And with winter coming, all it would take was one misplaced move, and they would disappear in a flash of fucking pixels.

And then, over the horizon, appeared the hideous form of the Long Legion.

And all hell broke loose.