Why are western novels so elegant?

BEETLESME

Why are western novels so elegant and challenging to read? I read one and felt like I had already fallen asleep. Don't get me wrong; western novels are great, but the light novels and novels don't compare to Japanese, Korean, or even Chinese ones. I feel relaxed when I read those, In fact, I write my novels in the same style, but with a different twist.

Due to this, I have created my unique style

....drum roll...

Western light novel

Try it and give me your feedback and advice

Attachments

• Picsart_22-12-26_23-22-51-851.jpg
    Picsart_22-12-26_23-22-51-851.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 18

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Wikipedia said:
A light novel (Japanese: ライトノベル, Hepburn: raito noberu) is a style of young adult novel primarily targeting high school and middle school students.[1][2] The term "light novel" is a wasei-eigo, or a Japanese term formed from words in the English language. Light novels are often called ranobe (ラノベ)[3] or, in English, LN. The average length of a light novel is about 50,000 words,[4] and is published in the bunkobon format (A6, 10.5 cm×14.8 cm or 4.1"x5.8"). Light novels are subject to dense publishing schedules, with new installations being published in 3–9-month intervals.
Wikitionary said:
Calque of Japanese ライトノベル (raito noberu) ultimately from English light + novel.

A Japanese novel primarily targeting young adults, typically illustrated (in an anime/manga style) and containing not more than 50,000 words.
A Western Light Novel is by default impossible to exist. A Light Novel is a specific type of Japanese novel.

What you're writing is a Young Adult novel, not a Light Novel.

RockiesRetriever

Why are western novels so elegant and challenging to read? I read one and felt like I had already fallen asleep. Don't get me wrong; western novels are great, but the light novels and novels don't compare to Japanese, Korean, or even Chinese ones. I feel relaxed when I read those, In fact, I write my novels in the same style, but with a different twist.

....drum roll...

Western light novel

I would say that it is simply a difference of culture and what you were raised reading. I really love all the western novels I read, but have a very hard time reading light novels. Even when they're in English, it feels like I'm trying to read a completely different language.

There are different ideas of story structure, of quality, etc. I'd just say then that the answer is maybe the segment of literature is for you, and your preferred literature isn't for me.

D

Deleted member 54065

"Light novels are subject to dense publishing schedules, with new installations being published in 3–9-month intervals."

And here I am, trying to finish and publish the manuscript every 1 month, with 1-2 months of break.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

There are a few things I can think of, first of all, to get a good rating, you generally need to have good grammar. Which generally means the writer themselves tend to be at a higher level of writing for the higher rated ones. I've also seen many cases where western web novels are written by a foreigner studying the english language at university level, so many of the top rated western webnovels aren't really light novels and more of "regular novels with Asian influence"

In comparison, many translators pick up novels based on how they like it themselves, so even if the grammar tends to be poor, that will never show if translated properly. Effectively, you are getting a selective lens on the Asian web novel community while getting the full view of the western one. If you look around, you will find all kinds of writing styles. Some heavier, some more casual.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

....drum roll...

Western light novel

Western literature is based on a long history of art and historic literature and naturally favors prose