Why aren't there any isekai games?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I think there are some otome games with isekai out there.

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
I mean, if you're talking about an rpg, then aren't you technically already in an isekai game?

Malonymous

Some exist, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and technically Genshin Impact in a way. But the whole story has to be based around a player character who has no backstory in the game world, so basically this:
you are kind of already transferred to another world whilst gaming.

Last edited:

Noldere

There's several isekai games; most of the ones I'm aware of are adult games, though.

RavenWolf

Considering how many games are released every day in places like Steam and if you try to find games which has isekai theme there really aren't many.

Daitengu

Seriously why? We got tons of isekai anime, manga, LN and webnovels but where are games?

Final Fantasy 10, and Star Ocean 2 both start as an isekai.

Neir: Replicant happened because of the isekai ending in Dracongard 2.

One can argue Doom guy's trip to hell is a kind of isekai.

Last edited:

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Seriously why? We got tons of isekai anime, manga, LN and webnovels but where are games?
You do know that ISEKAI A, (M, and LN = 1% chances) game adaptions always intend to disappoint PC and Console players? Or rather, no matter how they make it—it will suck (most of the time)! I swear, the only thing Japanese is good at is making mobile gacha games when it comes to their anime. Alternatively, there is a visual novel, but it takes longer to get translated to the west.

ISEKAI:
The Rising of the Shield Hero
Persona 4 (If you count going into a different world by jumping in a TV isekai...)
Re;Zero
Date A Live (If you count the heroines appearing in a different world an isekai...)
Aselia the Eternal -The Spirit of Eternity Sword-
Seinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2-
SAO SERIES (most of them suck, find them yourself.)
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology - 3DS GAME

Last edited:

Mechaphobic

I feel like they run it poorly. I would never condone myself to live like a caveman, especially if I could solve it. Who would want to wipe their butt with leaves, and use a dog turd as a lozenge. We romanticize fantasy worlds and ignore all the other issues that come with them. I feel like games almost make this tunnel vision effect worse.

I try to cover a lot of different things when I write isekai, I feel like games have a harder time with this because of player choice. There are lots of awesome ways it could be done for games. If they made a red dead style shooter in a fantasy where you were an outlaw making your own firearms and gunpowder to rob fantasy buildings would be awesome. You could even make it a bit like payday, only fighting orcs, elves, beastmen.

I literally just came up with this off the top of my head as I was writing this post, but I mean it can be done. I feel like the game companies are to worried about telling the story of the world, and that kills the isekai experience.