Why do most Jp and Kr (and some Cn) Mcs look the same

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
It annoys me so much when I see a novel, anime, or manga and the Mc has this generic, basic ass look. Like is it that hard to make your Mc look somewhat unique. Like the side characters and villains really look better and more interesting than the Mc.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
For a similar array of reasons that Western generic traditionally published romance novel MCs are all tall, dark(but rarely dark-skinned), and well muscled.

The most popular followed a certain archetype that became an archetype due to excessive coatail riding. Anime MCs were more Shinji (boyish, troubled, naiive, sometimes plucky) than Kirito (edgy, hypercompetent, mysterious, possesses "hidden depths") before Kirito became a big thing iirc. If you don't think these character traits carry an aesthetic of their own, look at the transition between brown-haired slacks wearing "average" MCs and their black-haired all black wearing successors.

Last edited:

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
On
Ahem. "Genghis Khan."
Only applies to Chinese and Koreans...and even in Korea, mostly only North Korea since very few Mongol settlers bothered to move too deep into the Korean Peninsula since there was no incentive to. As for Japan....nah. Were never able to gain a proper foothold in Japan to be able to breed with the locals in any meaningful number.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
On

Only applies to Chinese and Koreans...and even in Korea, mostly only North Korea since very few Mongol settlers bothered to move too deep into the Korean Peninsula since there was no incentive to. As for Japan....nah. Were never able to gain a proper foothold in Japan to be able to breed with the locals in any meaningful number.
I know, I am just making a historical hyperbole.
Because history jokes are funny to me and the twelve other people that understand the reference.

D

Deleted member 54065

MC shows up a lot, it’s a pain in the ass and takes a lot more time to draw overly complicated shit frequently. People care more for the female character’s appearance so they invest more time into them.
As an illustrator and a writer, I fully agree to this.

Though yeah, I tweaked the appearance of my MC, even had him go through an appearance change in one of my arcs.

And it's for the very same reason that I'd like him to stand out in some way.

Kenjona

On

Except that Japan has been importing foreigners (Read mainly Koreans) to fill up its young working ranks for about 20 years or so, and they are mingling with Japanese. So yeah, slowly Genghis is invading.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Except that Japan has been importing foreigners (Read mainly Koreans) to fill up its young working ranks for about 20 years or so, and they are mingling with Japanese. So yeah, slowly Genghis is invading.
Doubt they are importing North Koreans so this is still only vaguely possible, and hardly even that.