Why do Most Readers Not Comment?

Kaguro

This is something I found to be consistent across almost all novels. Chapters with thousands of views and no comments, stories that have been running for months but only have 3-4 comments.
All authors wonder this, I have no idea why either. I wish I had readers who commented more.

Kaguro

I've been using a poll for every chapter I've made. At first it was just, did you enjoy this chapter, yes, no, not sure, but lately I've been trying to get more info from it.
I think you're on to something here, every time I've held a poll I saw a surge in comments. I think readers probably like being polled a lot.

TheMangaGod

NOT a Yandere Imouto Loli Goddess I Swear
I seem to get quite a few comments per chapter. Generally around 8-10 with more comments on my older chapters for obvious reasons. I mean sure some chapters get no comments but oh well. In fact as far as people sharing their opinion I have several regulars that I always expect comments from in any significant chapters with some kind of evaluation or discussing how a specific event will effect the story. I especially love the long comment chains with various people going back and forth with a bunch of theories! They're interesting to read and testing my ideas against their comments lets me get a good feeling for how my story is progressing logically.

AmnerisTenjo

I've found a lot of people to be silent readers. They're there to read the story and that's it. Sometimes people are too shy to say anything. There's also the cases were a reader is so into a chapter that they completely forget to comment (I know I do this a lot).