Why do Most Readers Not Comment?

Ral

Well, commenting and reviewing stories . . . actually, criticizing stories only brings trouble.

I once made a comment on a story here criticizing some elements of the story and the author promptly deleted it. I'm actually thankful for that. I could imagine the trouble it would have bring if it wasn't deleted. I would have deleted it if the author didn't.

And that is the only comment I ever made here.

Just . . . no. Don't comment unless to say some generic nothing like "thanks" or "great story" or just to post a blob. It is just not worth it.

ddevans

Well, commenting and reviewing stories . . . actually, criticizing stories only brings trouble.

I once made a comment on a story here criticizing some elements of the story and the author promptly deleted it. I'm actually thankful for that. I could imagine the trouble it would have bring if it wasn't deleted. I would have deleted it if the author didn't.

And that is the only comment I ever made here.

Just . . . no. Don't comment unless to say some generic nothing like "thanks" or "great story" or just to post a blob. It is just not worth it.
Authors being able to delete comments seems like a system flaw. As far as authors giving people flak for reviews or comments, it should be a bannable offense. People should always feel safe to give feedback. If people have thin skin they shouldn't be writing.

Polarize4777

I comment when I see good content and wish to encourage the author to keep up the good work. Otherwise I will drop a few comment here and there on a long series when it has its moment.

Nerodith

I don't think this has something to do with social anxiety at all. It might have been true IRL, but once behind a screen, most people stop being asocial.

Lurkers aside, some just don't have anything to say at all. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as people tend to be more vocal about things they dislike rather than about things they like. In my story, I had the most comments on a controversial chapter, where people started to argue in the comment section lol.

Then, there is also the fact that comments tend to follow an exponential function. People are more likely to comment a chapter if they see there already are some comments while they might be more reluctant to do it if they see an empty comment section :blob_neutral:
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer effect, I guess ^^'

Ral

I don't think this has something to do with social anxiety at all. It might have been true IRL, but once behind a screen, most people stop being asocial.
Well, I think this depends more on the site really. Some sites are just not really good for socializing and SH is kinda one of them.

Lurkers aside, some just don't have anything to say at all. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as people tend to be more vocal about things they dislike rather than about things they like. In my story, I had the most comments on a controversial chapter, where people started to argue in the comment section lol.
And also seems to depend on the author I guess. I have encountered many, many authors that can't take any negative criticism. In the situation like the one in your story, another author would probably gang up against the one they don't agree with.

And yeah, if people all agree, then there is nothing more to discuss. It is these different perspectives that makes any discussion worth it. Too bad the other side of any discussion tends to be silenced.
Then, there is also the fact that comments tend to follow an exponential function. People are more likely to comment a chapter if they see there already are some comments while they might be more reluctant to do it if they see an empty comment section :blob_neutral:

And also depends on the site. The same thing can't be said for something like Facebook or Twitter for example where discussions are encouraged. In fact, and empty comment section is an encouragement for anyone to comment. But then again, this isn't like them . . . then again Youtube is able to do this stuff while sites like SH can't.

For me, it is more of the infrastructure and culture around here that kinda discourage discussion. SH kinda is a poor version of RR and RR already has issues with these kind of things. SH just makes them even worse.

In a way it might have been much better for authors in the long run. I don't think that most can handle reading any negative things about their stories. Silence is so much better than being hurt, I guess.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer effect, I guess ^^'
And for getting in the trending section and writing in popular genres and encouraging your readers to discuss (or even argue) and other stuff. If you hit the jackpot and your story gets a lot of interactions, you better keep it alive.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Authors being able to delete comments seems like a system flaw. As far as authors giving people flak for reviews or comments, it should be a bannable offense. People should always feel safe to give feedback. If people have thin skin they shouldn't be writing.
Authors are able to delete comments because it's their story and they shouldn't be forced to deal with people that actively attack them.

Not to mention chapter comments are not moderated for the most part, so the author is given the freedom to moderate them.

OTOH, they're not allowed to delete reiews, because those are actively moderated. If someone makes a bad review of your story, then you just need to accept it is as their view of what your wrote.

So... There is no real downside to comments being deletable by the author. Just make a review if you're scared of authors getting rid of your comments.

queenofthefuzzybugs

Because I read on my tablet and phone. I hate typing things with a touch pad. Instead I'll just ❤ the chapter or some variation of that.

If the story is interesting and there aren't many chapters or I feel the story isn't getting the love it deserves, I might also comment. Pity comments, basically.

As an author myself, you think I'd be more generous yet here I am....

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
This is something I found to be consistent across almost all novels. Chapters with thousands of views and no comments, stories that have been running for months but only have 3-4 comments.
Well sometimes some of the novel are being hosted on other platforms too like rel. Maybe they're commenting there?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
The only time I comment is because I feel strongly about some aspect of the content. If it causes controversy and people want to argue about it....so? If you cant handle a different opinion...you probably aren't mature enough to be online. So I find people deleting comments because they are worried about disputes kind of... strange. It's an opinion. Why have one if you aren't going to stand up for it?

As long as it isn't absurdly outrageous, (and anyone who is mentally well-balanced enough to a decent degree will be able to differentiate what is absurdly outrageous and what isnt.)

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
If I see an error, an oop,
Whining is somewhere I stoop.

If the page is fine and dandy,
The next chapter button I do find handy.

Thor

If there is nothing to comment on, then I dont comment.

But sometimes if I feel the comment section is to empty then I give out a 'Thank you for the chapter!' :P

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I mean, what do you expect them to write? You gave them a continuation, and they got a continuation. Unless your chapter is a cliffhanger or a red herring or a usage of a Chekhov's gun, nobody is gonna have much to say.

Trust me, it's better to have no comments than to be excited over a notification only to arrive at a cockblocking :blob_cookie: or tHaNkS fOr ThE cHapPy

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
You're in Ying to my Yang