Why do so many people hate on isekai?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
It is clearly the best genre currently. It provides the perfect form of escapism as the real world gets progressively shittier. It really cuts out a lot of the fat of general fantasy stories and really gets straight to what people want the most, a self insert MC with ultimate power. And of course there is an infinite variety of these stories, each with a different aspect for people to enjoy. Would you rather the MC have a challenge? There is an isekai like that. Do you just want to be a degenerate? There is harem isekai. Isekai is truly the greatest genre ever concocted. Read it and enjoy it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
>why do you hate isekai?

Because modern settings are better

And because hating it gets cope posts like this

IMG_20211013_104710.jpg

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
It is clearly the best genre currently. It provides the perfect form of escapism as the real world gets progressively shittier. It really cuts out a lot of the fat of general fantasy stories and really gets straight to what people want the most, a self insert MC with ultimate power. And of course there is an infinite variety of these stories, each with a different aspect for people to enjoy. Would you rather the MC have a challenge? There is an isekai like that. Do you just want to be a degenerate? There is harem isekai. Isekai is truly the greatest genre ever concocted. Read it and enjoy it.
I don't hate isekai genre as a whole but I do hate the same old tropes like one guy is in another world but is too dense to date, marry and have kids in the story or just do it with a willing character in a story.

SailusGebel

True but all popular genres get accused of lazy writing undeservedly.
Yes, right now, isekai is one of, if not the most popular genre, which means that those who hate isekai are the most noticeable ones. It's that simple.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
I'll preface this by saying my story is trash isekai.

I don't hate isekai, I hate derivative, uninspired, trash isekai.

You're right in that isekai has infinite possibilities, and the ones that take advantage of that do very well.

But everytime one of those appears, you get a wave of derivative, low budget works that use the same "twist" a few seasons later: Exactly enough time for animation studios to see what the latest popular show was, go on Syosetu, and find their own to license and turn a quick buck.

For every Tensai Slime wa, there's a dozen Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?'s

(Not saying Spider is a bad isekai, it's actually quite good. But the animation studio basically made it to cash in on the "Non-human protagonist" fad that got started by Slime. The anime of Spider so What? very clearly had no budget behind it, and the people making it really demonstrated how little they cared.)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I don't hate isekai.

I just hate generic, production lined, run-in-the-mill works. It can be fun if I choose to off my brain though.

I will be frank, from time to time I hate reading xianxia because it is always the BS kill this, fuck that, shit on someone and pikachu faced when they sodomize your scat covered sphincter.

The magical click moment at the beginning (for me) is always important and if you fucked that up, there better be a click moment somewhere within the tens of chapters I'm about to skip to or I will drop the work.

I will not say it is not fun reading shitty works as long as the gore scenes are nice, but I will only stay for the gore then.

So to me, it is not the genre, it is the copycat cunt tarts that saturate the playing field so much that, like the spider thread in hell by whatever deity, the entire genre got dragged into the cesspool as well.

Isekai to me is just a lame genre with SOL and OPness beta cucks surrounded by generic 2D "women" with designs bordering NFTs. It is like walking down the old road, back when you are an aloof kid with imagination and hot blooded, except now you are a balding 30s with wrinkles and cholestrol filled gravy coursing your veins. Let your brain liquify and out your orifices then.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
It is because most isekai follow the same harem smut format that we have seen a million times.

Then once the people reading stop being horny. They go to a place like here on the forums and lament about how terrible isekai is and how it just trying to pull in easy smut read.

Last edited:

LordJoyde

I just wish there was less escapism and more 'you're in a medieval fantasy world, rule your situation'.

I.E - Release That Witch!
I don't hate isekai.

I just hate generic, production lined, run-in-the-mill works. It can be fun if I choose to off my brain though.

I will be frank, from time to time I hate reading xianxia because it is always the BS kill this, fuck that, shit on someone and pikachu faced when they sodomize your scat covered sphincter.

The magical click moment at the beginning (for me) is always important and if you fucked that up, there better be a click moment somewhere within the tens of chapters I'm about to skip to or I will drop the work.

I will not say it is not fun reading shitty works as long as the gore scenes are nice, but I will only stay for the gore then.

So to me, it is not the genre, it is the copycat cunt tarts that saturate the playing field so much that, like the spider thread in hell by whatever deity, the entire genre got dragged into the cesspool as well.

Isekai to me is just a lame genre with SOL and OPness beta cucks surrounded by generic 2D "women" with designs bordering NFTs. It is like walking down the old road, back when you are an aloof kid with imagination and hot blooded, except now you are a balding 30s with wrinkles and cholestrol filled gravy coursing your veins. Let your brain liquify and out your orifices then.
"designs bordering NFTs"

https://c.tenor.com/ASGuOCPGrKEAAAAM/kekw-kek.gif

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I guess it's like instant noodles most of the time. I do love me some, but I will take a well-balanced hearty meal more often than not over them. But I do indulge in some from time to time

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
they dont. They hate all the shittily-written tropes. The tropes themselves arent bad, but they way they are written often is. No one complains about the Konosubas, Arifuretas or Mushoku Tenseis. But fuck off with the Smartphone and Death March crap

Daitengu

All the Isekai that I've seen aim for an op mc steam rolling everything. Except cheesy romances, but that also sucks cause the harem is SO common that it's boring.

Also Isekai is like fanfic web novels with almost all of the eng ones being dropped.

Mr.Grey-Cat

People hate Isekai because it's cliché. That's the popular opinion, but here is the thing. Why do you think Isekai is cliché?

That is because Isekai is the culmination of fiction reached only after decades of research and encopmassing within it all of the previously successful tropes.

Overpowered mc? It exist. Harem? Already in. Chosen one? Of course. Underestimated misfit? Why not. Battle highscool? Yeah, yeah. Ecchi? Sure. Slice of life? We left a spot for it.

Now do you see the problem? Isekai is not bad, but the low effort isekai with the same old overused trope and no originality that is still trying to present everything is the one that is bad.

aattss

Hate is a strong word, but if I were to pick a flaw (that's inherent to their genre rather than something like lazy shallow overused cliches) then I would point to their MCs. Characters are pretty important to a story. If the MCs backstory is that their entire life prior to the beginning of the story is completely irrelevant to the story or setting and they have no distinguishing character traits, then the fic itself will probably also be pretty bland and boring, at least moreso than it would have been otherwise. It's hard to find a character relatable when there's nothing to relate to.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I want fiction to portray pain and suffering, not 'escape' from it. If I want to escape, there are drugs for that.

Katsuya

I mean, its usually pretty cilche. Many are. And other then that, it just feels lame for some. like makes 0 sense since its it can be like a mix between fantasy and modern world. I mean overall, there is many reasons to hate isekai. But of course, i like it cause all the cat girls and stuff- i mean, the magic. very good quality magic. indeed. *totally dosen't like it for the smut*