Why do some people give low ratings even though they haven’t read your story yet?

aattss

How are we determining how many chapters a reader has read? Because when I look at the number of chapters read under Statistics, it only depends on which chapter I clicked the check mark on, and I don't see the point in check marking a chapter if I'm not going to come back to the story later.

SailusGebel

At this level, the general quality of a work typically lies outside of the ability to tell a good story. The difference between a 2.5 and a 5.0 is the ability to write.

Like I said. Normally.
I don't understand how this is connected to what I wrote.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
At this level, the general quality of a work typically lies outside of the ability to tell a good story. The difference between a 2.5 and a 5.0 is the ability to write.

Like I said. Normally.
Hard disagree.
I've seen horrible writing get high ratings here. A lot of the trending novels (not mentioning anything) are there because they appeal to the type of reader SH brings in, not necessarily because the stories are good or the grammar is on point.

Ratings don't mean much on SH except whether the tags meet the expectations of those searching for those tags.

I've also seen some titles with lower ratings have much better writing but get put in the toilet because it was an NTR. Well developed characters, good world building but simply because it's NTR they put the rating down.

EDIT:
Just to add on, there is no objective standard, but there is a soft "likable" standard that is in place. Until you post your content you won't know whether it appeals to the majority of SH readers. They'll rate whatever they want and there is nothing you can do about it except maybe taking down the novel and doing a rewrite trying to appeal to the majority.

I say it's best to simply work on self improvement and grammar, develop characters as practice. SH readers don't put out as much money as RR anyway so just enjoy your time writing. Ratings should only matter if you're writing for money or in an attempt to appeal.

Last edited:

Kenjona

I actually read more than a first chapter because I was bored and I was pretty much spot on in my intuition lol.
Oh tried to read that. And yeah great premise generally bad writing, grammer and arcs are not well thought out.

D

Deleted member 70892

I don’t see the point. I get it if you read a story to 30 chapters and the author disappoints you. But some people read just one chapter! One!! And they rate the story 1 star why? Like bruh I don’t get it. Someone pls explain

because yes
Or just fix the grammar and stuff. Spend some money on Grammarly Premium. Same problem here.
Hard disagree.
I've seen horrible writing get high ratings here. A lot of the trending novels (not mentioning anything) are there because they appeal to the type of reader SH brings in, not necessarily because the stories are good or the grammar is on point.
You mean... lemme list some. Isekai, Ecchi, Smut, Adult, something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Katsuya

Could be like the tags or what the story is about/what is featured in it, or it could just be that they dislike something about the author I guess.

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
in the past i would try to go and rate the novels that i read... now if the novel manages to make me pass chapter 10 i 5 star it to help motivate the author. so i dont really get the one start thing since i rarely gave one