Why do you keep writting?

MisterSyafiq

Ah yeah, this question was for you all, an author whose time is wasted in making a story'.

Wasted means, No Pay, No Support, No attention, No feed back but still feel obligated to continue the story'.

HappyVainGlory

Writing helps with the skill of formulating your thoughts into words. Personally, since I'm in the legal field, that's an essential skill to keep sharp. Hence continued writing.

Also, writing stories is fun and a more impressive thing to say to people when they ask what your hobby is.

Western42

....I may be Insane....
Because I have a lot of ideas in my head and one day, when I'm older and have enough experience and money, plan to do something with them. Making them stories first helps with that.

JayDirex

No Pay, No Support, No attention, No feed back but still feel obligated to continue the story'.
This is generally not sustainable, hence why most authors drop the story. But for the remarkable few who grind on I'm fairly convinced that (for some super-human god-like trait, they really don't give a fk about readers and are content to see their own stuff posted online.

God bless em.

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
Sense of responsibility. Sure, my readers have dwindled down a lot, but they're not completely gone. I always feel like I have to finish up my series for their sake.

Erylm

Ah yeah, this question was for you all, an author whose time is wasted in making a story'.

Wasted means, No Pay, No Support, No attention, No feed back but still feel obligated to continue the story'.
There's a certain point where you've sunk so much time into the story (or even the idea for it) that you just have to finish it, readers or not. At that point giving up is like a punch in the gut.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?

MisterSyafiq

It's really helpfull to see a these all answers, reasons to keep writting. Increasing one skill, for fun, releasing one thought, for future, for reader shake, etc.

I keep writting for keeping my English skill, and reading the comment in the threat post is good for increasing my skills.

To be honest, I am usually in cetegory of that super human who completely doesn't care the reader...but, at least not at this current moment I write this post....

The more I write, the more I became attention seeker.
Wanting but almost never being noticed.

i keep writing since i'm still alive

because you can always start over anytime, even if you quit for the longest time. even if it's something stupid and low-effort in your pastime, as long as you have fun or got something outta it, well it counts.

though i'm not sure if you can still write, if you're already dead.

Deathilim

I don't know really.

>got into it for money
>dissapointed as my story turns out to be mediorce at best
>decided to stop thinking about it
>write because i like the idea in my mind to exist
>write because life is shit, so maybe writing can distract me

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
It’s the only thing that keeps me sane.

EternalSunset0

I have a couple of readers, and the new chapters have become great points of discussion with them. Otherwise, I'll just be wasting time sending soft ecchi pics or the like since I'm a terrible conversation starter/maintainer and my story's chapters do that role well.

D

Deleted member 57675

One of few slivers of creativity left. It may go away eventually, why not treasure the time spent thinking bout it for now?

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I don’t think it is wasted time, because it is a hobby and not a job I expect will give me money.

I don’t claim to be a writer, I claim to be a worldbuilder, and writing a story is just a way to give life to these worlds. Who cares if people like or read it?

I don’t feel any more motivated now that I have a few hundred views each chapter compared to when I had less than ten. The readers don’t matter, the book doesn’t matter, even whether it is good or not doesn’t matter much. Only the fictional world I have created, as well as the characters I love who inhabit it matters.

I don’t even like writing, but I do it anyway, spending hours typing everyday because I cannot be satisfied seeing all my ideas in bullet point form. Sure, attention and positive reviews feel good, but they are just a bonus that have very little consequences. My books don’t need to be read or liked, they just need to exist, because through them, my dreams and fantasies become reality.

I've got stories on hiatus, but they aren't dropped, I simply don’t have the time to write them. I still intend to finish them, they simply are not the priority at the moment. Similarly, I have dozens I have completely planned out but never had the time to write, and by the time those are completed, I will probably have dozens more.

My most important frustration is the lack of time that stops me from bringing all my ideas to life, and no amount of support, attention or feedback is going to help me with that, so I don’t really care about them. Compliments are nice, of course, and criticism hurts, but they are completely separated from the reason I write.

MareoKen

It's fun, it's an outlet for me to express my thoughts and be creative. I would also like to get better at writing; the more I write and reflect on my work, the better I can become. It's a goal I can strive for.
I continue to post my works online because there are some readers who read the stuff I write and that makes me feel like my work actually speaks to someone or interests them somehow and that also keeps me writing.